1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MCW82 with 7970

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by The Von Matrices, Oct 12, 2012.

1. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone. I need some advice. I'm considering buying a 7970 and I would like to use my MCW82 on it. I have two questions about compatibility:

I know that the Tahiti core is recessed below the core shim and thus you can only use heatsinks with an embossed core contact area. I have seen the MCW82 7900 edition, but I really don't want to shell out the money for a product that's only compatible with one core; I don't see the point of that instead of just buying a better full coverage block. Is there any way I can adapt my regular MCW82 to work with the 7970?

If I can get the MCW82 to work with the core, does the reference 7970 contain a plate or separate heatsinks to cool the memory and VRMs? My 470's have a heatsink plate separate from the core, and I am using that with the MCW82 to cool the RAM and VRMs. It was a cheap solution and I really don't want to spend the money for additional heatsinks.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, your system specs can still pretty much handle anything at the moment. I say wait for January to March, the 8970 is rumored to be around $400 at launch, and be quite better than 7970.

edit: just saw your resolution you game at... ok yeah... maybe it is time to upgrade... I dunno, if you can wait it out, I say wait it out

3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    The Von Matrices says thanks.
  4. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Well, the issue is that I am VRAM limited and it really shows in BF3 and Skyrim where I can only run in low settings. I would consider a 470/480, but I am looking somewhat toward the future and I want something with more than 2GB (and the 4GB 470s/480s are insanely priced). Plus, the 8000 series is 6 months away and there won't be any more graphics card releases for the rest of the year, so prices should remain stable.

5. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
  6. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Do you know that if I do use the EK adapter that the MCW82 will fit anyway or are the mounting holes in a new, incompatible location that I would need Swiftech's adapter for anyway?

7. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    you quoted a sentence of mine that wasn't even related to the MC82 7900 kit.

It doesn't take much guessing I was talking about the EK's copper shim if you read my post correctly.

And the MCW kit doesn't require double TIM because it is not a separated piece of copper, it's just another waterblock base.