1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Measuring temp of GPU

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by EnglishLion, Feb 1, 2007.

1. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an ATI 9600XT card in a spare system that I'm reserving for LAN gaming (bought a small case with a handle). Problem is that the fan on the heatsink is very noisy. My solution so far has been to disconnect the fan, which unsuprisingly solves the noise! I got the card new for only £20 about a yr ago and I don't want to have to spend as much again on aftermarket cooling!

However, this card doesn't have any temp monitoring on the pcb so I can't directly monitor the effect of not having the fan. Fortunately my case has an LCD with a single temp probe, which I've stuffed inbetween the fins of the card's heatsink (towards the top of the heatsink - the card stands vertically in a horizontally mounted motherboard).

When I run atitool's spinning cube the temp probe reports ~50C and I don't get any artifacts etc so all seems OK. But I was wondering if anyone knows the likely difference between the heatsink temp and the actual chip temp and also the usual operating temp for these cards?

I'm thinking that maybe these cards never really needed a fan and a fan was just added in case of use in hot environments, poor case airflow and under exreme circumstances etc

What do you reckon?

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    During hi demand 3d gamming, and/or overclocking the card will get hot. I run my fan @ 100% all the time. (see system specs <<<)
    A good lapped heatsink with an accelero II cooler would do a good job of keeping that card cool at lower fan RPM. For true silent operation, try a Thermaltake "Tide Water" video card cooler. Also, this card does have a temp sensor, The ATI CCC program uses it in overdrive as does ATITool. There are software addons out there that will monitor this temp on screen during use. Can't think of what they are; as I use a G15 Keyboard with Heads up display to monitor system information.

3. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    The accelero series of coolers don't support the earlier series of cards such as my 9600XT and as I mentioned I don't mind the card being hot and I don't want to spend lots on an old card. I was just interested in whether anyone knew how much difference there's likely to be between the gpu core T and the heatsink T. and if anyone knew how hot the 9600XT gpu should run at max, I'm happy running my x800 up to ~80C but it's a completely different beast!