1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mechanical keyboard for mostly typing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aquinus, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Hm... interesting... Mine would be different, since the K90 doesn't have a plastic guard, but goes straight to the hard aluminum, but if the noise from hitting it annoys, I'll haev to do some searching :) thx :):toast:
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I can understand that, but it's really not all that loud. Since the blues don't need a ton of force, I find that it's pretty quiet once I start typing faster. The blue's really aren't that bad. Unless it really starts driving my wife insane (which it hasn't already... a good sign,) I don't think I will need to. :cool:
  3. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I used to have one of those... awesome freakin keyboard!!!! I loved it.... then my lil brother broke it!!!! I was so pissed!
  4. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    lol that sucks. But I got the Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate and I can change the keyboard color to all colors and it's so cool, and I love it and it has low profile keys and looks awesome too. So that's my recommendation. Not mechanical, but awesome keyboard.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not mechanical was completely off the table for me. I also could care less if the keyboard has backlighting or not. I was more interested in the built-in braded cable (versus the USB mini connector on the keyboard,) and I wanted the media keys at the top. The backlighting is just a bonus because I really don't look at the keyboard when I type.
  6. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:

Hm, I prefer Not to have the built in cable...
    Backlighting is #1 factor for me... I do a lot of coding so I have to look at the keyboard a lot to type all the symbols accurately. And I type in the dark often.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...what? I'm a developer and systems admin for work and I can tell you that I spend none of my time looking at the keyboard to figure out what I'm going to type. Someone serious about using the computer for much of anything should almost never need to look at a keyboard. Illumination is just for looks because if you really need to see what button you need to hit, you must type ungodly slow. I also type in the dark, and I did fine before I had an illuminated keyboard and I will continue to do well.

Not to be an ass, but playing around with code doesn't make you a programmer.

Let me just quote that sentence again.

I know bullshit when I see it. The only thing that looking at a keyboard means is that you're not as good at typing as you should be. You're not impressing anyone.
  8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    easy fellas, take it out on your switches not on each other;)
    remixedcat says thanks.
  9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    take it from me on two points:

1) learn touch typing. i type at 80wpm and it helps a lot. I rarely look at the keyboard even for symbols when coding. this isn't bragging, it's a recommendation. the efficiency is worth learning.

2) stop coding in the dark. it ruins your eyes, too much focus and not enough light is not good. i highly recommend using more light. you will regret it later i promise.

take the advice or not, but imo well worth it.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Sorry sneaky, crazy post required a crazy response. ;)

This advice is worth its weight in gold if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer or typing. I don't think about typing. I just start banging away on the keyboard.
    Ephremius and digibucc say thanks.
  11. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    To revive a mechanical thread, fiancee used my K90 last night and loved it, but wants a wireless, which is a bit challenging, I guess... Any input? Can't seem to find a reliable brand...
  12. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I type about 100 words a minute, very fast. However I do glance at my keyboard a lot especially when coding. Illumination, for me, is far more than just looks. In fact, looks have nothing at all to do with it for me. (except color illumination is mostly for looks, as opposed to plain white illumination)

Congratulations if you can type all the symbols at uber-high speed without ever looking at the keyboard. You are truly a keyboard master.

Also I run a business in web design and programming. Ok fine call me "playing around with code" all you want. But you can't really judge me without knowing me, nor should you.

To each their own. People are different. For you to try and tell me what I need, is extremely arrogant.
  13. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Probably going to be rough. Why does she need a wireless keyboard? Is she moving around the keyboard a lot? If not, no need to wireless, because if it's staying in one place then wired vs wireless makes practically no difference, except less hassle for wired (i.e. battery, performance).
  14. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think wireless also has more input lag if you're gaming?

Indeed, going wireless can introduce problems, all for the sake of getting rid of the cable.
    vawrvawerawe says thanks.
  15. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    agreed

p.s. who's the girl in your avatar?
    qubit says thanks.
  16. Compgeke

Compgeke

Thanks Received:
    Wireless is very much useful if you're using a media center or whatnot, or even something like an iPad. As odd as it sounds, a jailbroken iPad can use a USB keyboard, someone I know connected a 122 key Model F to their iPad...
  17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, beautiful, isn't she? ;) Moran Atias
  18. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    go MX Browns. I have mx black and mx reds based keyboard, and I found the red's pressure more comfortable. MX Browns have the same pressure needed, but has tactile feedback that limits itself to your fingertips.
    digibucc says thanks.
  19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Logitech G710+ uses those
  20. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    i like the Mx Blue switches. Its the sound of shit getting done :pimp:
    Ephremius says thanks.
  21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    But does you getting busy interferre with others "getting busy" ??? LOL
  22. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    with the blues on the Razer they sound like mouse clicks o a SS Sensei but that's once learned not to bottom out the key.

Gotta remember that build quality is going pay a part to in how they sound.

I am still waiting for the Ryos to be released as it's way over due as i am sick of the crappy and shady quality of razer with keys working or and key spamming.
  23. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are we resurrecting this thread? Problem solved, we can go home now.

Looks like someone hijacked this thread, I think Ill just let this pass for everyone's convenience.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Aquinus says thanks.
  24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thread closed. this conversation ended a long time ago, become vavavavoom necro'd the thread for a personal rant :/