1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mechanical Keyboard recommendation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by remixedcat, Oct 17, 2013.

1. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I want a quiet one that is good for both gaming and typing.

Does one exist like that for under 120USD?

Are those Corsair ones any good?

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my vote goes to something that Cooler Master made over Corsair, but there are a lot of good choices out there that fit all three of your needs.

I also advise a set of o-rings ;)

3. MadMan007

Thanks Received:
    'Good for gaming *and* typing' means you probably want Cherry Browns. They have a light tactile bump that makes them nice for typing, but the activation force is moderate so they are good for gaming. You can 'float' the key above the activation point with practice and the reset and activation point are the same so quick tapping is easy. Browns are the all-around default unless you know you want no tactile bump at all.

But key preference is ultimately personal, if possible try out some keyboards with different switches from a place with an easy return policy. I got a blue switch keyboard after having a brown for about 10 months and prefer it because I *love* the clicky feedback even if they are arguably a little worse for games because the activation and reset point isn't exactly the same. Both of them are Rosewill RK-9000s and I've had no problems.

I got sets of these: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads&pid=sl120_cf for cushioning. They don't make the keys mushy or bouncy at all on bottom out, but do cut down the noise a lot because there isn't nearly as much bottom-out noise from the key caps hitting the top of the switch housing. (That's the noise you'll mostly hear in videos of mechanical keyboards, although those videos tend to exaggerate it a lot unless you bottom out intentionally hard.)

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i nearly got a Corsair K95 as i am after cherry browns to but the only thing that stopped me was the whole keyboard is not programmable or else i would of had one by now.

And other than the Blackwidow ultimate i have here ( which has failed twice on me now ) which is fully programmable which is why i have waited so long for the Ryos MK Pro which has been again bumped back yet another month to November.

t Corsair's tempting but i know it will bug me later when some game comes along and the keys are not configurable.

5. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    everyone who plays my computer complements my black widow ultimate. I wouldn't say its the best for typing (too long of keystrokes) but for gaming its pretty good.

6. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    corsair is a bit overpriced IMO

OP you should do research on different cherry switches
    red, black, blue, brown

i think as far as noise goes, black or red should be the quietest but you should look into getting "o-rings" for even more silence

or you can go here to splurge on an all out experience
    http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

remixedcat says thanks.
  7. naraku

naraku

Thanks Received:
    Logitech G710+

I think brown switches are the most recommended type when it comes to balance between typing and gaming.

And it already has pre installed O-rings so there you go.

8. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Browns would be best I think.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  9. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    If your after one on a budget see if you can find one of these makes locally.

Tesoro G1N
    Qpad MK-50
    TT Esport

10. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    I own corsair k70 and it's great for both gaming and typing. Granted, red switch is not the quietest, but it has the longest keystroke lifetime (as well as black), so if you're going to pay this much for keyboard I think durability should be more of a concern than acoustics, considering that the later might be easily ignored once you get used to it.

The contoured gaming keys with rugged rubber top are a very nice feature. The second you place your fingers on them you will fall in love, trust me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    VulkanBros says thanks.
  11. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    That K70 looks niiiice. It also matches my case too in a way.

12. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    Pic from my crappy phone camera

[​IMG]

This keyboard looks great and feels even greater. Brushed aluminium surface is tough, classy and durable. Metallic volume controller is so smooth I can't help playing with it. ;)

Too bad there is only one USB port. With this price you should get at least two.

13. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Awesome for gaming but I would say very hard to keep noise down. If you want a quieter one - don't get the Corsair K70 (not the red cherry switches at least).

14. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Really this Microsoft comfortcurve 3000 one is loud as freakin hell now after just a year of having it. I don't think a regular mechanical's gonna make a difference it's that bad really.

Some keys dont work right and some need to be hit twice like my e key sometimes left shift doesn't work most of the time, and the other shift key don't work consistantly either r key is messed up to and so is the c key. The keys feel like crap specially with longer nails or when I got bandaids on.

How are those corsair keyboards for people with longer nails and smaller fingers?

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Browns are the way to go. But a warning iis in place, initially you will bottom out a lot because they are so light (50nm actuation).

Most of us are lads here and thus most of us have our nails short. We never have our nails that long because it is far from comfortable nor is it pretty (especiall not when lads would be like that).
    Sorry to be painfully honest but if you want to type, keep away from acrylic stuff and just cut them short. It saves you a lot of trouble since keys are supposed to be pressed with fingertips and not with nails/dicks/heads/teats/etc.

Anyway, a KB to consider would be the Qpad MK-50 if you don't care about lights nor the board being full 105-key. Costs like $90 and comes with wrist rest.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Yea - he is right about the rugged rubber top - great,
    I have the cheaper Corsair K60 - with red switches...I love it :)
    all aluminium and detachable handwrist.

Attached Files:

• K60.jpg
      K60.jpg
      File size:
      8.7 KB
      Views:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I got the Corsair K70 a month ago. Certainly the most cool looking keyboard out there and best quality in apearance (e.g. Logitech's G710 is higher priced and full plastic.... mehhh!). MX Red switches are quite silent compared to the Black ones on my friend's Filco keyboard but browns like on the G710 are even more silent. 120GBP surely is a very high price for a keyboard. Once you buy a mechanical keyboard, the brand only matters for the looks, the finishing quality and the additional features so pick something that matches your working environment. In my opinion go for CM Storm or Corsair K70 depending on your budget.

18. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    120 dolars, not 120 punds.

Crunching for Team TPU