1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mechanical Keyboards. Black or Brown Switches.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rhyseh, Aug 7, 2012.

?

What Cherry MX switches do you reccomend?

1. Cherry MX Brown

66.7%
  2. Cherry MX Black

33.3%
  1. Rhyseh

Rhyseh

Thanks Received:
    So I am currently in the market for a mechanical keyboard and have narrowed down my selection to either Cherry MX Black or Brown switches. I like the idea of the tactile feedback on the browns, however I will primarily be using this keyboard for gaming (FPS and MMO), while FPS is pretty straight forward I am a bit of a button masher when it comes to MMO's (roughly 5 key presses per second during peak times). Because of this I am not certain whether browns would be more of a hindrance than a help.

I haven't used a mechanical keyboard for any period of time in the past so I am looking for recommendations from people who have used either of these switch types before.

I am fairly heavy handed so I am not too keen on Red switches and Blues seem like they might be a bit on the irritating side for a button masher like me.

I appreciate all recommendations and feedback.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i use blues, and browns are similar, but quieter. thats what i'll go to when this keyboard eventually fails.

Rhyseh says thanks.
  3. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I went for MX Browns. I like the key press force, it feels awesome. I do not fatigue much if any on MX Brown, much easier on the fingers than rubber dome keys types. You get a nice tactile feedback on these keys which is unique but is without the click sound. When the key actually registers a press it is only about half way down (and you feel that a little "bump" more like a tiny change in pressure than a bump) so you can touch type without bottoming out eg hitting the key on the bottom of the board (full press down).

MX Blacks are more known for gaming, most similar switches to rubber dome in feel as you full press with them. NO audible click or tactile feedback when you hit the actuation point, the same force all the way down till the key hits the bottom of the board. Generally known to fatigue more than browns or blues when typing.

MX Reds are lighter than Blacks but essentially the same otherwise. Some people prefer the heavier Blacks for games and some dont.

Id say Browns are a good middle ground, actuation force is pretty middle and will work nice for typing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482

Rhyseh says thanks.
  4. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Rhyseh says thanks.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Brown has the tactile feel of the blues but make no noise through the stroke where the blues are tactile and make a click through the stroke. The Blacks are similar to the browns but are not tactile and feel more like rubber dome keyboards but a little less mushy. They also need 50g of pressure applied where the blue and browns need 45.

Rhyseh says thanks.
  6. Rhyseh

Rhyseh

Thanks Received:
    Thanks all. I think I'll go with the browns. There is something very appealing to me about the tactile feedback. Blues would be nice for the novelty factor, however I don't think they would be much fun for anyone I share a living space with.

7. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Brown for sure. Blues are too loud IMO.

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have any of you used Alps switches like in the Matias boards?

9. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    I have used only black switch so far and I love it. It's excellent for FPS games and also typing. I don't think it's loud at all. The responsiveness is just amazing and it makes typing much more fun. (FYI I can touch-type and I type a lot on a daily basis.)

Also, I believe that the black and red switches are the most durable types according to the manufacturer's spec table.

10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I have Blue, Blacks and Reds... I've been trying to like the Reds for about a month, but I still prefer the Blacks... The Blue just annoy me, especially when double tapping etc

Can't rest my fingers the same way on the Reds than on the Blacks for gaming, and for typing I keep accidentally pressing letters. Blacks ARE tiring for me though

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
  12. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i prefer browns .. to each their own though