1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mechanical keyboards for gaming: Lets list them

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mussels, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, I like this about the BW...

2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    membrane is actually what Microwave panels and Television converters are made out of. rubber dome are well domes.

3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I'm disappointed by the software simply because it has no popups when changing volume, muting, etc.

I'm currently more upset that at certain angles the symbol/media keys are impossible to read because they are slightly reflective. While I'm sure they won't last as long as the markings on the keys, they seem pretty sturdy, but I wish they hadn't cheaped out on them.

4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I love it because it's very true, mechanical keyboards are the best...

The one thing I'm having issues with though is finding one with a very short throw on the keys and is at least very quiet if not near silent, I type a lot and I type very fast, I still have a few good ole ones sitting around but alas I do not use them due to the annoying CLICK CLANK CLICK!

Again the short throw and low profile key would also be nice but not really a requirement I have looked at some of the Razers although I find a lot of complaints about the coating and key lettering wearing off quickly.... Anyone comment on this, very few companies really advertise HOW they either print or etch their keys anymore, or what exact type of coating they use... I find this pretty annoying, especially when we are talking about $60-$200 keyboards.

If I can't find a good one I'll keep replacing my cheaper scissor switch type, low profile keyboards.

Lastly, I do not require any media keys at all, I have them one some and I simply don't use them.

5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    sorry the secondary legends on the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate are pad printed. I forgot.

mechanical keyboards use a standard keycap profile. if you're looking for something quieter give the Das Model S Professional Silent a try. Metadot has a 30 day return policy.

by the way elitekeyboards is no longer distributing the Filco Majestouch in North America. in January 2011 they will be selling Leopold mechanical keyboards which I think are better.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Yuk thanks.

I know they are not totally low profile, but the lower the better, I'll take a look at those thanks.

7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I just visited the Das Keyboard site and they offer earplugs 'for your significant other'!!!

hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!

8. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    $15 off the BlackWidow with promo code RAZER1213, expires at midnight. Puts it at $56 shipped.

I'm going to go ahead and get one. If I don't like it I'm sure I can get my money back out of it.

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the media keys (the secondary Fn of the F keys) arent laser etched for some reason on the black widows. its the only flaw they have.

10. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    But the media keys are the least touched, so I don't really see a problem there.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i assume thats on newegg?

same. i use mine fairly often, but even so thats going to be only a few times an hour per key. the 'next' key might get a bit of use tho.

12. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Newegg. I placed an order for one.

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    there are somethings I don't like about the keyboard. the stabilizers, braided cable, lip and the jury is still out on the keycaps.

14. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    Just got my Deck fire today...Very good typing experience so far. Gaming experience is very good...The switches art the cherry "black" keys (they are linear). Although the blacks are not the clicky type (cherry blues) the bottoming out of the keys still gives a satisfying "clack" as you strike the keys. Definetly not a gripe though, and most dfinitely yards away from a rubber dome key in both feel and sound. The fn key next to the space bar on right combined with the 0-7 keys adjust brightness of the backlighting. 7 is much too bright, 2 and 3 are just right. no macro's with this board, and from what I can tell , no media key either. No gripe there as I dont use macros or media keys. It was pricey but I think this things gonna last for a long time. It is bult like a tank. must way at least 3lbs. So far I am a happy camper.

MT Alex says thanks.
  15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    AutoHotKey and SharpKeys allow you to create sophisticated macros.

if you wanted to you could set the L or R-Windows Key to a modifier then set F1-12 to Media Keys (Vol Up, Vol Down, Mute, Stop, Pause, Next, Back, etc) like on the steelseries 7G.

the Deck Legend weighs over 3.5lbs and is composed of Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polycarbonate Plastics and a steel plate.

pentastar111 says thanks.