1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MechWarriorOnline (MWO)

Discussion in 'Games' started by bogmali, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...though bloody hell it's late 2012 and we have powerful hardware. More games should have such.
  2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Had a Closed Beta invite about a month ago, played only one round. Seemed fun, but kinda forgot about it. Then recently I seen the icon and decided to play, seen the NDA was lifted, so I figured what the hell, might as well start a series on learning how to play the game, as I learn myself. So here's the first in the series, tomorrow I plan to cover more on weapon hotkeys/controls and go from there.

[yt]w-PD0e4flhg[/yt]

Psh, why because you can blow the wall of a building? I want that shit to drop, like it did 2 years ago in BC2.
  3. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  4. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, Tuesday after that then? Or unannounced yet?
  5. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Piss buckets. Seems like I'm never gonna get any love.
  6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    The games not even close to be in an open beta state... the fact that theyre considering it for so soon is a bad sign
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It's a F2P game, and they already got people paying to pre-order. I don't think they need to rush through Open Beta. I don't expect this Open Beta to just be a 2 - 3 week stress test then launch like most Open Beta's are. I bet this Open Beta will last a few months. They haven't even activated DX11 yet, I just assume they want to start stress testing while also working out other quirks.
  8. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Bump this thread, Open Beta starts today! And a nice patch just landed a few days ago. I got a few friends who are looking to try this out, so I decided to make a Weapon Hotkey and Combat Basics Guide to help them and anyone else who is going to be trying the game out now that it's in Open Beta. So check it out! I'm not 100% sure what time Open Beta goes like though.

Also made another video the other day covering patch changes, if anyone has been playing, but hasn't seen what was changed (I'm not sure why, but they seem to not post the changes on their actual site), check in the spoilers.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    MT Alex and Crap Daddy say thanks.
  9. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Tried "to try" Hawken beta this week-end but it was a total failure. Couldn't manage to get online not once. Very bad first contact with otherwise promising game. About MechW, I can't see the download button yet.
  10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thats what ch1v was saying over on GN. Well not toal failure, but said hit detection was horrible. Also it's 1:38PM CST and the MWO site is currently down, so I'm taking that as a sign that Open Beta will be Live when that goes back up, as I have never seen them take the site down.
  11. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    10:00 AM PST/1:00 PM EST-Open Beta transition, both website and game servers are down due to this. Should be back up by 1:00 PM PST/4:00 PM EST.
  12. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Their website is up now, so Open Beta should be good to go.
  13. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Well, I managed to play a bit on saturday night (CET zone) for a few hours. Not as much as during the alpha 2 though but that was with way less people AFAIK (so the servers were less occupied). I will see if I can shoot a video when playing a bit tonight. Last night I did not try because I was home late after a trip to my parents.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Tried hawken as well.. nothing too special.. just imagine a generic fps shooter with "boost dashing" and miniaturize buildings.
  15. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Hawken Alpha 2 and in the Beta here. The servers were down on part of Saturday I know. Patch and such. Then there was another patch later. Didn't check.

Hawken is more like a FPS. That is agreed by me. They didn't change much from the Alpha to Beta. Imagine a cross of Mechwarrior and Armored Core, with CoD and you'll know how Hawken plays. Where Hawken really does good on is frantic combat and world design. Where it fails is that it is leaning towards pay 2 win model. Mech designs, specially stock, are poor.

Myself and others have been warning the Hawken devs not to go pay 2 win. Alpha it was a nice setup. You just paid for parts and cosmetic addons. Beta, whoa...pay 2 win features added. XP boosts for money/etc. If Hawken fails, it'll be because people just drop support for it for this reason. The game is good, it should be marketed as a $50+ game with DLC packs. But its going F2P with potential P2W model. That alone kills a lot of support from me.

I honestly did not play it heavily during either Alpha or Beta, but more for Beta. Reason why is because I wanted more maps to test. Also once I adjusted to the mechs I found the TDM to be dull. Really once you do it a few times, it becomes too easy. I'd go match after match in 1st place with almost no deaths.

Beta I played more than Alpha because of the Siege mode. In Alpha I really wanted an objective based mode, Beta delivered it. In Alpha we had a missile control mode. Just basic control point gameplay on a textureless map. Horrible and no real team work involved.

Siege was neat. Being an alpha 2 I knew the controls and handling much better so I'd come in with the weakest Berserker mech and mop the floor with everyone. Voice chat worked very well and I'd have Beta noobs whipped into unstoppable teams in no time. Had one really awesome match where down by 2 and had only 1 base defense left. Enemy team was still full strength. Folks chimed up over voice, we coordinated strategy. People weren't rushing in guns blazing alone anymore. Turned around and won. So evenly matched, great fight. But our strategy change worked. It showed how good the game can really be.
  16. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting some low GPU usage which result in low FPS, E8400 stock and GTX560SE on 1360x768. Is something fishy with this game, does it need some more CPU horsepower?
  17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it sucks that my mic is so bad that I can't do proper voice chat. I agree with the fact that they are leaning too much to p2w, but I cannot give my opinion on how that was in the second alpha (the NDA on the alpha has not been lifted).

MWO or Hawken? Hawken suffers from cpu/network related bottlenecks as it seems. Although turning of DOF etc. may help to (it is DX9 and still there is DOF, enabled by default?).
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    It's MWO. GPU usage is under 50% and it bounces up and down.
  19. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I cannot help you with that.

Anyway, here is a Hawken video. There seems no HD mode available for some reason, so if anyone is interested in that send a PM and I will provide a download link. It is a match in the so-called Siege mode that NC37 already mentioned.

[yt]qe95-_XmZSg[/yt]

Edit: HD (720p) mode works now if you watch on Youtube (embedded here obviously not, no way that so much pixels fit in that small space).
    Edit 2: Note: It may be best to skip to about 1.40 unless you want to see the objectives page and the names of the joining players.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    1Kurgan1 and Crap Daddy say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Anyway I checked MWO also on my i5-2500K/GTX570SC machine and even if it runs much better I see GPU load bouncing a lot and well below 90% so it must be from the game. Hopefully some patches will solve the problem. Hawken looks nicer but I couldn't get in any game this week-end. I really hope they'll fix it come December.
  21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I been playing on my better halfs comp, using my processor (2600k), just clocked at 3.8ghz, with a 5850. I haven't ever checked GPU loads, but I play on all High Settings, then I have 2 others set on Ultra, I usually see 40fps or so with the 5850.
  22. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    i got the same and im on 570gtx and a OC'ed quad..

Edit: idk what's the deal, could be earlier game code fault, Crysis2 dx11 MP suffered the same but then NV fixed it with later drivers (90% fixed), more precisely 306.23+
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Crap Daddy says thanks.
  23. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I've read something on their forum people complaining that it's a later patch involved, haven't followed more. But definitely you need a fast CPU rather than a very good GPU for the game as it stands now. On this PC I run a 2500K at 4.2 and the 570 at 800MHz core with 285.62 driver (no reason to change it) maxed out settings between 45 and 60FPS (vsync on) but I see the same lower GPU usage (better than with the E8400 and GTX560SE with the latest NV driver).
    TheHunter says thanks.
  24. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Yes i got pretty much the same fps, mostly ~40-45ish fps on avg with few jumps to 60+, I didnt try newer patches though.
    This was around public beta rls., idk could be a little better now.

btw did they implement dx11 yet?
  25. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    No