• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

media player/internet explorer randomly crashes

P

psychomage343

i have had my computer going for about 5 months, and at times divx, windows media player, winamp, and internet explorer will randomly crash on me, i can play everquest for days, and any other game i got doesn't crash, everything seems to work fine except those programs, does anybody have any idea what this might be.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Virus, adware, spyware, whateverthehellware, corrupted file or registry entry. It really could be anything.

Cybie1111

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3.33 Ghz 1333 FSB
Motherboard Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev 1.0
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Cooler
Memory Patriot Viper 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
Video Card(s) (Sapphire) ATi Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Storage Western Digital 160GB/500GB Drive + Seagate 320GB Drive
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240HD 24" HDTV
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 832 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620 Watt Modular
Software Dual Boot Windows Vista Ultimate / Windows XP Pro
And make sure that you reguarly update your computer's software daily. If not reguarly updated, it will be possible that you can get more s**t-ware on your system than normal.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
your computer is going too fast.. slow it down a bit (a lot) and see if the random crashes go away..

for anybody with an overclocked system to ask why their system crashes every so often strikes me as unbelievable..

the answer without wishing to cause any offense at all is bloody obvious.. some part of it is going too fast..

trog

P

psychomage343

slow it down, it's been going this fast and much faster for about 10 months now. This just started. And i'm just wondering if maybe a particualar windows update file has something to do with it. And if you think you can come to a tweakers forum and tell everyone to slow it down you need to find a new forum to waste your time on. I've been building and overclocking computers for as long as i can remember, this isn't my first build it's more like me 30th and i've built more since this one it's what i do. Now, don't jump to conclusions and treat people like crap, because you don't know me. I was asking a very valid question, and a simple, "your computer may be oc'ed to far" would have been nice i don't need any more bull**** on top of it. Thank you.

p.s. it doesn't crash... it hasn't crahsed in months. windows media player/internet explorer just started crashing, firefox does not crash, nothing else crashes, winamp doesn't crash, i played world of warcraft for 16 hours straight no crashes, games never crashes

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
well dude i recon my response has bin the most sensible one so far.. random crashes.. lockups.. whatever u wanna call em point to one obviouse thing.. easy to check out as well.. slow your system down and see if the problem goes away..

if it dosnt.. look for a less obviouse reason.. when u find it come back and enlightlen the rest of us..

trog

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Your post was pretty inflamatory trog, it could have been stated a litter better. You can't blame him for being mad.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
he he he.. yep perhaps i could have.. trouble is this board covers a very wide expertise spread.. form 13 years old just pulling there first computer apart with zero knowledge to those a little older with more experience.. kinda hard to alway frame your answer correctly all the time..

but ask any expert why some things on an overclocked system are radomly crashing and u will get pretty much the same answer as i gave.. which bottoms down to slow things down and see if things improve.. in fact its something everyone should do before asking such questions.. and if u have u should say so.. having a guess at whats causing the random crashes gets easier that way..

my system is well overclocked but some things randomly crash.. its the kind of question that invites the one answer.. he he he..

i did use the phrase "without wishing to cause any offense".. seems i still did thow.. he he he

trog

P

psychomage343

hey trog, i'm sorry if i came out as a bit hostile. It's been a long week with computers not working right and all. All i meant was that yes i've tried slowing it down, and maybe i should've stated that prior to posting i've tried everything including fresh installs, bios updates, different older bios', and all i could come up with was a windows update. But alas i found out that it wasn't a windows update but an incorrect ram timing which i fixed and actually gained a bit of speed from it. So thank you for your suggestion and i'm sorry for attacking you trog. I don't see your sys in the sig, can you put it in, i like seeing what other people got, gives me ideas as to what is good to get and what isn't

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
no probs dude.. it did turn out to be hardware thing in the end thow.. random crashes with odd programes that arnt directly connected usually is..

i will bung my specs in my sig just bin too lazy.. he he.. i kinda like clicking to see what folks are useing myself..

trog