1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Media Player Network Sharing Service Issues

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Kursah, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

Recently I decided to swap the e6300 out of my G/F's rig for an e8500 C0 I had sitting around, it'd go higher clocks at a lower FSB, 3.5 7x500 for the 6300 and 3.8 9.5x400 for the 8500. I also upgraded the cooling from an ACF7P to a XigS1283 I got as part of a deal on my Q6600 purchase a little while back.

Well I power everything down, give it a good cleaning and do some cable management, the usual stuff...sort of a pre-spring cleaning. Put it back together, hit bios, get the OC set from values I verified as working on other builds...no issues there.

I get booted up, get an error message that:

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service has stopped...the little error box that wants you to send stuff to MS for a solution, I did a few times, no solutions, I've searched the web, I've replaced the MF.DLL file with one from my OS install since we're both running Vista x64. I can't seem to find a good solution, I've cleared out the DRM folder, but the crap part of the situation is her Zune software will not open, you double click the icon and shortly there-after a "Microsoft Zune has stopped working" message box. Media player seems to work, but she uses the Zune software as a media player primarily and also wants to sync her Zune podcast subscriptions, we've yet to plug in the zune to the PC till the issue is resolved just to ensure everything is ok.

This is an odd issue that I've spent some time with and yet to true solution has been located, I'm just wondering if any of you have noticed this issue and maybe fixed it without re-installing the OS. While googling I did find a lot of people did just that, a fresh OS install, some replaced the MF.DLL file, some cleared the DRM folder, a lot of issues from this arised from the Xbox media sharing, a few mentioned the Zune software not opening up anymore, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope to find a solution w/o re-installing her OS, I'm not willing to take defeat like that yet!

:toast:

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Also, disabling the service does not help and the error message still pops up. This service seems to be required for using a USB media device even though the Zune has a communication service too.

Still digging, hoping one of the TPU Guru's will have an answer!

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well just got home after a few hours out, still no dice on a solution, still trying a few other things, this might be one of those stupid problems that might not be repairable w/o a fresh install of the OS...I'm still fighting that as everything else on the PC is fine. Just doesn't make sense why something so stupid is happening and it's just annoying enough to be a hassle.

I tried an MS Hotfix, was supposed to replace related files...no dice.

4. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Zune is one hell of a PITA.. I'm finding out now because of the fact that I'm running my psu to it's ends... Good old 100% when it loads and sign ins.. lol..

Now, have you tried using her Zune on your system? If so, it works? Also, have you tried uninstalling the drivers to the NB and SB, doing a reg cleaner, then installing them after a restart? I've never seen this problem, so just throwing out things of that nature..

Kursah says thanks.
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Her Zune works fine on my system, it's an issue with the OS's Media Player service failing that's causing problems...as I said in the OP I found people also having issues with XBox media sharing too...something with that damn service is fubar'd.

This is actually the 2nd problem we've ever had with her Zune 30Gb in the year and 3 months she's had it, battery life is still good, radio reception is pretty damn good, her zune software has worked great for her needs, has never been a pain with bandwidth or resource hogging, though she has a decent PC (see system specs). The first problem was the leap year bug @ new years and the second is this one. I do have to say even with this issue, it's a 10X better experience than what we dealth with on the iPod front...I hear they're much improved from the POS Gen3 I originally got her directly from apple...that was such a waist!

We're planning on re-installing Vista x64 in a day or two, her games and everything else seems to be fine as long as it doesn't need the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service! :D

I've ran a reg cleaner, I have yet to undo-and redo NB/SB drivers, my 16Gb, 2gb, 1gb and PS2 Controller + USB adapter all work fine...but I might just try it anyways to scratch it off of the list...she's in the middle of a Fallout 3 session so it's on hold! Thanks for the reply anyways!

6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    All right, another question to throw out at ya.... have you deleted WMP and reinstalled with a clean up? I seem to have had the same problem once before, but I think it was ether I cleaned up WMP or just did a clean os... I just don't remember..

But, like you, I prefer Zune over Ipod.. Two mess-ups on my end, Same ones as you, but still kicks strong after 6 hours in a -20 freezer! Ipod can't do that!

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    No kidding? I didn't think it COULD operate at those temps! Wow!

I have yet to uninstall WMP because I can't seem to locate where to remove it from. NB and SB drivers changed nothing though, but hell it was worth a shot! There's gotta be a way to fix this, I'll dig into removing and re-installing WMP. I know this version comes installed on Vista, but hey it's gotta be removable one way or another! If not a clean OS install it is!

8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Man, looking threw it myself, I don't even see a uninstall... Wtf... Is it because Ultimate is set-up as Media center... Wow... lol..

Now, another thing before I say a clean os will be the thing.. Does the folder for Window's Media Player look the same on her system as yours? I was thinking of if your running the same OS, then just copy the folder onto her system and see what that does? Just another thing to throw out.. :roll:

IF not, Clean os!

9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'll give that a go soon, we're both running Vista x64 SP1 so the OS layout should be good for WMP related crap. She wanted to get back to her Fallout 3 so it might have to wait till tomorrow, but hell it's worth a shot!

10. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    LMAO... You better have a ring on that finger, or thinking of one!

Well, I hope the best for ya.. I've seen that doing a clean os didn't take so long to me to get things updated and so forth.... Less then 6 hours.. I was happy.. But best of luck man!

Kursah says thanks.
  11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Lol actually that happened a couple of weeks ago! :D Good call!

Thanks, looks like it's the fresh OS install route for us...just depends on when she's ready to do it!

12. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess the only time to do it for her is this... Tell her you want to do it, allow here to set all the files she wants saved right... When she's gone... DO IT, TO IT! lol... From the words you've said the past day... It's the only way it's going to happen.. :roll:

Now, for the ring.. WOOT! I want to see two little Kursah! one for gaming, and the other tearing apart your computer!!! Damn, I need help real bad!!!

Kursah says thanks.