1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MegaUpload.com Shuttered: One Month 'Black March' Media Boycott Slated For March 1st

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Megaupload & mediaFire & Zshare they are my best, fu*k law if those sites close it will be good news for me, i will think made a site for me and wanna put me in jail, thanks i am already in.

2. Platibus

Platibus New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL yeah, let them rot in hell for depriving a few million dollars from multimillionaire compaines whose truly talented employees recieve a minimum part of their work's profits, while the executives bathe in money. The guys in charge of Megaupload are just as bad as murderers and rapists, they're clearly damaging in a grave manner the lives of these "hard-working" people! .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
    w3b and qubit say thanks.
  3. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Do as they the 1st march says and than all things will get worse
    They wont use only internet censor, they will hit other things :D

4. danigold

danigold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Excellent article.
    For my part, I will not consume anything that has to do with audiovisual content, on March and as long as I can. I will only consume articles, news, opinions, from webs like this.
    Proposal is a non-violent, and certainly effective. I'm sure this is the way.
    Is a good way to f**k these bas**rds, and educate ourself to don't be consumerists, and enjoy other things that don't cost money.
    Regards.

5. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Only one question

Why not buy games ?

There should be a list which games to avoid, specifically targeting those from the origin as we speak.

6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    While specifically targeting only the most blatant offenders is how it would be ideally done the nature of the human mind makes that hopelessly ineffective. We have the phrase "KISS" for a reason.

w3b says thanks.
  7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Refuse any media. Join the boycott. I've already started... why wait?

w3b says thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The evidence they provided in their indictment looks pretty damning but I do see many avenues the defense could effectively take. It'll be interesting how the trial ends, especially if it ends in Dotcom's favor.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. dirtyferret

dirtyferret New Member

Thanks Received:
    they are not depriving the company from that money, they are depriving all the people who work for those companies of money. they are just as guilty as people who break into your house and steal all your stuff. Those people belong in prison as do these megaupload sum bags and anyone else who pirates copyrighted material.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  10. dude12564 New Member

Thanks Received:

Same here. :]

I like your sig ("Refuse any media. Join the boycott.")

I'll try to link it to this article in my sig :D

johnspack says thanks.
  11. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Then those people need to go and work for companies that produce quality material, instead of the garbage being fed to us. I don't feel sorry for them. Most media companies are crooked, and everyone knows it. What a crock.

12. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    If u r going to use a service offered by someone you better know what kind of business model they run. Dotcom was already busted for insider trading. Now had u paid for the service then u can sue for damages if u lost stuff. Anyone who defends these owners has clearly not been paying attention.

tigger and HammerON say thanks.
  13. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    The most amazing part.. all the money spent on sopa legislation ect, and the major media companies about this, probably would have fed every hungry child in north american for the next year or more. amazing. this is more important?

14. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    We should still be supporting indie artists, I know for a fact that a lot of the bands I listen to can't survive on their music alone and they self publish their works. The media blackout should only be for the big record labels/hollywood made content.

15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The insulting comments that I had to clean up will end now. If anyone continues to display this kind of childish behavior will have their posting privlidges revoked.

Thank you.

qubit says thanks.
  16. w3b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Collateral Damage is a fair compromise.

As stated by another poster earlier in the thread, any sort of boycott against media publishers will have some collateral damage. However, I think a little harm to them in the short term for the greater benefit of society at large globally (given how US law trickles down to other countries) for the long term is a reasonable and fair compromise.

As such; I'm taking part in this boycott (not that I haven't been for the last 3 years thanks to 2nd hand sales of items). :cool:

qubit says thanks.
  17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    You're probably right about targeting it. However, getting people to know exactly what to boycott and what not to is another matter. Especially if there's gonna be some sort of public list maintained, I can imagine how any website that does so is gonna be a target for ruthless and uncompromising censorship, the law be damned. Hence, the best option to me seems to be to just stop buying everything for one month.

18. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    If you ask me, the biggest reason that MU is the only one targeted: its owner is a convicted douche.

19. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yeah apparently they looked like money laundering kingpins because of how they spent their money. It was also said that they were the least smartest company compared to the other file-sharing sites despite MU being one of the richest. Why? No idea but I do have a few personal assumptions one being their use of megavideo for streaming copyrighted content from their users.

20. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    The people running MU were bathing in money, have you seen dotcom's house, did you see all the expensive cars they confiscated. They were obviously making lots of money by committing obviously illegal activity, they got caught, what is the problem. Anyone who defends them is probably a pirate who used MU for the purpose that they were closed down for.

Its just bad luck for all you guys that had legit files stored on it, but there is no point crying about it now, MU is gone and the idiots running it got what they deserved.

HammerON and dirtyferret say thanks.
  21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i don't care about MU, but how is this logical to you?

22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Why Defend them, they were obviously making money by hosting/sharing pirated content. Anyone who defends them must think it is ok to share/distribute pirated material. They were not just some innocent file hosting company, that much is clear.

Also its pretty clear, it is a shame for anyone who had legit files stored there.

digibucc says thanks.
  23. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah sorry i read "defend them" and thought more ... "get upset about this" for some reason. reading fail. people who had legitimate files have a right to be upset but not defend the company's illegal practices. i agree. my bad...

24. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Poor article, and this "Black March" wont last two seconds.

Frick says thanks.
  25. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received: