1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Megaupload finished: Feds shut down file-sharing giant without SOPA

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by MatTheCat, Jan 20, 2012.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    heky, Super XP, Nick89 and 5 others say thanks.
  2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    lol hilarious they shut them down because suing and stopping individual users are far harder to stop, it would be like shutting down GM for there customers breaking the speed limit with there vehicles
    AphexDreamer says thanks.
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad I'm old and may be dead soon. Without the internet, there really is no point.
  4. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ...and the countries housing the Megaupload people are just handing them over to the US? Welcome to the New World Order.
    theJesus, digibucc, heky and 1 other person say thanks.
  6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I've downloaded plenty from them, less of a pain in the ass compared to other download sites, but now I've switched to multiupload cause someone always complains one site or another doesn't work for them.
  7. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Does Illuminati have anything to do with this? Heck, the Illuminati probably run all the giant movie/music companies.

Just did a little search found this interesting read "the Illuminati elite are said to have most of their control through the music industry, which are some of the main lobbyists of SOPA. They seek totalitarian control through the 'New World Order'. Through the media that which they control, they are said to use mind control to make a national consensus that submit people so deep into the mass media that they begin to live in a state of fear which will consequently results in them submitting into what the government is told will 'protect' them in bills such as this and NDAA. The reason SAPO isn't talked about by the media is because obviously the elite doesn't want to deal with the public disapproval for they already control us by means of the television broadcast, and now they are seeking to expand their rule to the internet."
    Super XP and Velvet Wafer say thanks.
  8. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Anonymous Hackers Hit DOJ, Universal Music, MPAA And RIAA After MegaUpload Takedown

[​IMG]
    heky, Lazzer408, MT Alex and 1 other person say thanks.
  9. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Oh well, better use a different one besides Megavideo then :laugh:
  10. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    IMO - they are just using MU to set an example because their one of the bigger & more popular file hosters.

There are HUNDREDS of file upload sites like MU out there that people can use, Just because they take down one file server doesnt make it any less harder for people to use other sites. How about Fileserve, Mediafire, Jungle, depositfiles, turbobit, FileSonic...??? the list goes on.

Just because they take down MU doesnt mean that it changes ANYTHING at all, they are throwing their weight around like a bull in a china shop because they cant deal with the problem head on and stamp it out completely.

MU might be down, but they aint out and they will relaunch but probably as something other then Megaupload.
  11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    What the fuck is going on? riaa mpaa sopa pipa ? How long will they fuck anything they want? This is ridiculous. People lose their legitimate data because of these cocksuckers and they just get away with it. Whatever ... I dunno what to say
    heky says thanks.
  12. Rule-R

Rule-R New Member

Thanks Received:
    The new kind of dictatorship is controlling the crow through the media.
    When the world is allowed to continue like this, we will see a global dictatorship and our children the fight for freedom.
  13. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
  14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Now that I think about it I did have some files on megaupload I no longer have on my HDD. Wtf?

I'm kinda getting into this idea. Politicians are getting exponentially more bold, not even attempting to hide that they're on some companies payroll. Why? Because we have no power. We've demonstrated time and time again that we're too lazy to do anything about it. The number of times a politician has abused their power on a regulatory committee and then gone to work for the company they just benefited is absurd, and nothing ever happens. It's time we start trying shit and seeing if anything gets their attention. Maybe start with this. If all these people care about is money, then let's deny them their raison d'etre.

[​IMG]
    NAVI_Z, digibucc, heky and 12 others say thanks.
  15. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Protip: The people who made megaupload are being extradited or have been already.

I.E they are in US custody.
  16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Yeah ive just seen the news report. I find it rediculous that their countries allowed them to be extradited and now they will face criminal charges....

This is no different then OBESE People suing McDonalds or Burger King for making them FAT then getting the police to round up all the staff at the fatguys local McD/B.K joint, arresting all of them and charging them with 'intent to obesify' or some sort of retarded criminal chargeS

UNLESS THE STAFF AT MU COMMITED MAJOR ACTS OF PIRACY THEMSELVES - I.E THEY RAN A MASSIVE OPERATION RIPPING DVDS/MUSIC AND CHARGING PEOPLE TO DOWNLOAD IT OR GIVING THEM AWAY FOR FREE. OTHER THEN TAKING DOWN FILES THAT HAVE BEEN FLAGGED/REPORTED AS MATERIAL THAT INFRINGES COPYRIGHT. THEY SHOULD NO WAY BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE WAY THEIR USERS USE THEIR SERVICES

Like i said in my previous post - there are HUNDREDS of file upload sites out there that also host the same sort of copyright infringing material that MU gets taken down for. yet it was MU that gets taken down first. Why didnt the feds go after the other file hosts??
  17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Its the world police (america) poking their nose in. I don't see how any organization has jurisdiction in any other country apart from in their home country. What gives the FBI or whoever it was the right to arrest people in another country.

If the FBI knocked on my door for whatever reason, i'd tell them to fuck off.
  18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Their Goverment.

Their Goverment has to agree to extradite whoever the FBI are after. Wiki tells me that MU HQ was based in Hong Kong (you learn something new everyday) which would mean the chinese goverment gave them up...

China/Hong Kong have been battling piracy for a long long time and im guessing thats why the goverment agreed to just hand them over without a fuss.
  19. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Most people in the world have been sleeping and letting nonesense human right violations style legislation pass without notice.

Now that a lot of this trash legislation has been exposed people are starting to wake up. And its about bloody time. We the people say what goes, not this select few:mad:
  20. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Lol there are going to create an unwinnable cyber war. There will HUGE backlash if SOPA or PIPA were to get passed
  21. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Screw my government, and God bless you Anonymous.

While I love my country, the political establishment has become corrupt beyond any reasonable doubt. They have zero right to extradition from other countries, but suggest that aid packages or economic contributions will decrease if they don't get what they want. If the nearly extortionist tactics don't work then they resort to f***ing the infrastructure of information services. ~sigh~

I understand money talks, and I understand career politicians are the most corrupt beings this side of copyright lawyers. At the same time, you have to expect that when the people understand how underhanded you are they will respond. Acting surprised that the people attack the DOJ, when the last thing on their minds is JUSTICE, is like expecting the fat kid not to eat cake. Every one of us fat kids wouldn't have hesitated.

Well, ranting isn't going to do anything. Looks like I'll be media free in the month of March. Hopefully, it's as big of a success as the internet outage. Hopefully.
  22. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Capitalism and Democracy are pretty much dead in the west now. Welcome to corporate facism.
  23. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:

Same thing has just happened in UK.
    A student who was still a teenager at the time, created a website called TV Shack, which was essentially a directory of links to various web hostings of TV Show videos. Under UK law, he has commited no offence. The US however say he has commited an offence under US law and the UK courts have decided that he will be extradited to the US to face criminal charges their.

If only Hitler were still alive today to see all the good work that USRAEL have been doing to keep fascism alive, well, and indeed stronger than ever.

What all you people in the USofA need to do is find out who Ron Paul is (and I know that many Americans will not have a clue who he is) and start supporting him. Of course the US political establishment would never allow a libertarian such as Ron Paul into the White House, but the more support and circulation his ideas get, the harder life will be for the Zionist Elites who have slowly over the past hundred years completely hi-jacked your country and are now thus dominating on the global stage.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    AsRock says thanks.
  24. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    If i was that kid, i would just disappear.
  25. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Losing faith in Gov't and humanity.