1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

meh i hate norton

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BigD6997, Mar 24, 2006.

1. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    why wont norton let me get on the internet! i dissable norton and i can go on mozilla/internet explorer, i turn it on and it doesnt let me, i still have my wireless intrnet connection just norton wont let me access it, ive tried everything i know, should i reinstall norton?
  2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    First of all this belongs in software, not general hardware. Second, Norton isn't a program, what Norton program are you talking about?
    If you think reinstalling might be a solution, why don't you simply try that?
  3. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    norton internet security 2005, antispam, antivirus
  4. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    get avg for anti virus and ad aware se personal for spam.
  5. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with yogurt on that but as for the norton internet security it comes with a firewall i do believe. There in lies your problem most liekly you dont have Internet Explorer and Firefox allowed by your firewall.

As for antivirus i use Symantec Antivirus Corperate Edition. It is the best antivirus i have seen to date but AVG is great because it is completely free. Don't Get this confused with Norton's Anti-Virus Corp Edition they are completely different even though they are made by the same people.
  6. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no i went threw the firewall settings its not the firewall, i can disable the norton firewall and still the internet doesnt work, but when i dissable the "security" then it will work, but i am now getting avg sooo im ditching the norton
  7. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and i tried reinstalling norton, norton used to work fine before i reinstalled windows
  8. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    I dont know what planet your from but norton is a program its an antivirus program...

that dude needs to get rid of that nasty progy and get AVG
  9. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dilinger first off Norton is the name of a company they make more then just antivirus and thats what he meant 2nd of all it is because the suite he bought comes with a firewall and internet security stuff. It is probably a conflict between norton and some pop up blocker or something.

He is better off just using:

The Norton Antivirus part (not whole package you can install them seperately its a pain though) or AVG

Adaware SE

Googlebar for IE

Spybot Search and Destroy with teatimer (registry checker)

Zone alarm free firewall

and Firefox as much as possible for internet

I get zero viruses trojans or exploits. No spyware or malware. I run that exact same setup on every computer i have helped fix or configure. The only way you can get a virus/worm/trojan is to allow it. The only way you get malware/spyware is if it is brand new and a site is infected. Even then in about 2 weeks (tops) spyware or spybot will have a fix for it.

That setup is completely free stuff except the norton anti virus in that case you use AVG and you are almost completely inpervious to attack unless you do someting which would be human error.

As for BigD it would be hard to find out what norton is conflicting with but if it doesn't allow you to use firefox or Internet Explorer it is because you have some setting probably 1 out of the like 250 possible or a pop up blocker or something else attached to your browsers that norton doesn't like. It also could be mal ware or spyware id say get Ad Aware and scan your comp first and see if it doesnt fix it.
  10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    wow thats alot of stuff, lol
    he has an athlon 64 so he has built in chip virus hhelp, then he has an sli board and thus has the nforce4 firewall, avg and adaware se, or any other program for antispam you prefer) is plenty lol.
    I use only those two and i haven't had any virus's since switching from an axp to an A64 3500 newcastle 2 years ago.
  11. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats actually what i have been using - AVG +Norton, but then i reinstalled windows and norton doesnt let the internet work, so im now using AVG and it actually seems like a better program cuz it doesnt bog your comp down
  12. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol didnt think about his rig that way but mine is old as dirt so i require all of them. Not to mention if you use something that everyone uses you are more prone for viruses and hackers.

Although he doesnt do what i do when i get bored so he should be fine if he uses those.
  13. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol