1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memory Errors Like Mad

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by domy85, Apr 1, 2008.

1. domy85

domy85

Thanks Received:
    Had a quick question I thought of. I have had gone through 2 different memory makes on my same mobo. Awhile ago, I had Corsair pc8500 dominator series 2GB. The memory was giving errors with memtest no matter what slot i tried. Rma'ed them, and then the ones corsair sent me back saying they tested them for no errors, well when i got them and tested them, BOOM! errors. Then they gave me a speech on different motherboards are pickier. Rma'ed those, then sent me another pair with guess what, errors! I went to mushkin for there XP2-9200 2 kits of 2GB @1150mhz, which they dont even sell anymore i might add. I paid a pretty penny for it. I recently sent THESE out to rma cause they had errors on them that would mess my games up, even at 800mhz they had errors, but if i can remember i think 3 out of 4 of the sticks were bad. I tried some geil 800mhz memory and it worked flawlesly lol. Is it possible to get all that memory with errors? bad luck? Now corsair told me if both memory sticks had erros in the same slot then its the mobo possibly, but one set i tested only one module had errors so i was in the clear, atleast i think. I have had the worst worst worst experience with memory btw. :banghead:

Any opinions would be great on when i get my new memory back this week what i should do to test. I would love to test 100% that its not the mobo somehow.
  2. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably your motherboard's memory slots. But is your motherboard running the memory at its advertised settings? Motherboards often default to slower speeds, although most memory would still run error-free. It's hard to say, but I highly doubt all of that memory was defective.

Did you tell Corsair what motherboard you're using? You can use their site to find memory compatible with it. Motherboards can and often are picky with memory, although Corsair is one of the most versatile I've experienced.
  3. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    2 things that I know of that will effect memory are:
    -north bridge voltage
    -subtiming, in particular tRFC (Row Refresh Cycle Time)

Their might be others but no one can properly help you until you:
    A. Post a screen shot of your timing/sub timing numbers using Memset 3.5 Beta
    B. Post a screen shot o your Bios settings
  4. domy85

domy85

Thanks Received:
    I have tested the memory at 1066 and 800 speeds at 5-5-5-15 timings and a bunch of other timings and every time all tha memory has still failed, well i did mention that every stick didnt fail. I dont own the corsair stuff anymore. So im awaiting this mushkin stuff to see whats what. Yeah they new what kind of board and my whole system specs. legacy disabled etc, iv done it all.... It ran at 1150 speeds though at 5-5-4-12 timings, but games would black out and i would get the nvlldmkm display error, but like i said, i installed that geil stuff to test and never happened again in any game...
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  5. domy85

domy85

Thanks Received:
    This might be interesing to alot of Mushkin owners.

I talked to Mushkin Support and they told me the my models 991560 which is XP2-9200 are really hard to come by without errors. He talked to the tech testing the memory and he got 1 kit to pass out of testing like 10 kits of the memory. He said my particular model I will probably be the last one that they do this for because they discontinued this memory for that reason. If you have this memory and it works fine, your lucky. They are working on the last kit right now looks like i will not get them untill next week so with my new 3870x2's coming in, no benchmarks will be ran untill I get the memory in. For now i will have to use the Geil pc6400.

Atleast I know I had bad luck with my memory and it was not the board.

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=555
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the other thing would be, what voltage is the ram using? many performance kits require higher voltage to run even at stock speeds.
  7. domy85

domy85

Thanks Received:
    2.3v, prob another reason why, i have a corsair cooling fan on top of them though along with alot of case cooling to. does the job. I felt them and wernt that bad, only when i run memtest, thats when they scortch :laugh:
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah as long as you actually ran them at the required voltage they should have been ok.
  9. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:

I've had to have 4 rma's with mushkin ram, so I've had bad luck with mushkin myself. lol Another thing, most maximus formula boards overvolt vdimm by +.1 :eek: So if you were running 2.3 in bios that quite possibly could be 2.4 real. :eek: That will kill ram, including d9's. Also mentioned on this thread, a lack of nb volt will cause memtest errors. What was your nb volt at? I know with my ram I'm at 1.55v on nb without errors. I go to 1.45v and get massive errors in memtest.
  10. domy85

domy85

Thanks Received:
    Woah, 1.55v on the NB? I was running a 1.47v NB, BUT I ran memtest with everything defaulted and not overclocked. I didnt run the test with the NB OC'ed. Yeah I know about the over voltage. Was set at 2.2v, but showed 2.3 in hardware temp monitor. I wonder what voltage they are testing them at. I dont think thats normal to run those memory modules that high for them to work right ya know. Like the guy told me, there going through all this ram for me to find ones that work lol, I could feel the frustration :D

Atleast im not the only one that has had this problem :banghead:
  11. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, running them at ddr2-1150 you've got to increase nb voltage.