1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memory leak (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by AngryMerchant, Nov 20, 2012.

1. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    This has been going since I installed Windows 7. It seems to happen after certain games have been running, downloading/ installing large games, sometimes it'll happen once a day others it'll take a couple days to pop up. I'm assuming it's a memory leak, because games start to run incredibly choppy. I don't know anything about these, so where should I start looking?

2. TechnikL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not enough info to go by, but my best guess would be your cpu throttling down due to overheating, that would cause exactly what you are describing... maybe look into that :)

Hope that helps

3. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    CPU idles at 32C, under load it looks like 64C was the last max. I'll have to run more games to be certain, but my only problem with the CPU is how obsolete it is. Until then I'll need to keep looking for the cause.

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like hardware interrupts, data timeouts, or more likely background programs running. When it gets choppy, go into task manager then resource manager and see what's running the CPU the most, it could be the culprit.

5. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I left the monitor on and the CPU is definitely overheating. The max says 114C, presumably from my younger brother running BF3, which this computer isn't cut out to do at all. Wish I could get it replaced already, this is entirely too much work for a 5 year old processor that I don't even want.

6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    How new is the Windows 7 install and do you have all the updates installed?

Overheating CPU? Try putting some new thermal paste.

7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    BF3 shouldn't cause a constant temperature increase.
    This would be more like, CPU cooler clogged with dust and/or CPU fan not working properly or not at all.

95Viper says thanks.
  8. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    Apparently I'm stupid. I was so used to scrolling down a set amount on CPU-Z on my laptop that I was looking at the wrong temps.

Unfortunately I already restarted the program, so I don't have the temperature saved from BF3. So as much as I still want to upgrade, I can't say now that CPU temp is the issue.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012