1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memory size controlled by CPU?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by lordjohn, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    "unles ur going to use ramdisk,or ramcache"

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    An os loads data into ram cuz its faster.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The Xeons that support 48GB are workstation and server processors. If you don't know why you need that much memory in those situations you should be on a tech website posting about why you would need that much memory.

Also, if you run virtual machines they eat up memory very quickly. The server I just built for a local school that they are using to run virtual machines on for the students to practice setting up servers on runs 64GB of RAM, and provides 48 virtual servers each dedicated 1.25GB of RAM, so it sits at 60GB of uses memory at all times.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Or virtual machines, or a server or, running many heavy apps altogether or heavy professional video editing, there are many more reasons besides that.
    I would like to have that RAM I hate disk thrashing

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    With ram being a commodity item now why not max a machine out?

6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Nothing wrong with extra ram! I do use disk caches, and I run multiple virtual machines ect, and 24gbs is actually not enough for what I do. And ram is dirt cheap, so why not?

7. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    look.. for all u arguing!!...the guy didnt mention any server or havy duty apps!! i know that profesional video and graphic editing need much ram!! i gues that is why intel maye extreme cpu...with quad chanel!!all i say for normal user u could spend money on other piece of hardware...,but then again..,he did mention in reply that money aint prob to him so of u chill out!!peace..:respect:

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    We aren't arguing, we are telling you what usage situations would need large amounts of RAM. He didn't saying anything about his usage, so that is why assuming he doesn't need that amount of RAM is just as bad as assuming he does. We aren't assuming he does need that amount of RAM, we are just saying what it could be used for, you are assuming he doesn't need that amount of RAM. I say leave it up to him to decide that for himself.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

Thanks for the help and understanding, I just ordered 16gb and now it is total 32gb, 8x2, 4x4. it is working both in bios and windows. will try some more and let you know the result.

BTW: I use it for Machine Learning. so ram is never enough. I hope to get a xeon 5500 and get 144gb of ram but don't have that money.

new updates, now it is 40gb, 8x4, 4x2, it works, pass mem test 86, no extra heat for cpu. all 40g recognized in windows.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012