1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Memtesting Samsung Green (Ebay bought)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Vario, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Bought some Samsung Green 30nm ram sticks, 2x4gb. I want to make sure they are legit before I write feedback. I set my timings to 1800 1.45v c9 and it ran okay in windows with prime95 blend for an hour, so I figure run memtest86 off usb stick. The previous owner said he ran them 1600 c9 timings with no overvolt and that was all great.

Boot from usb memtest bootloader and it says 1200mhz DDR3-2400 Cas 9-9-9-27 / Dual Channel on the memtest screen.

Should I just run my memtest as is? Is there anything that needs to be done to memtest stuff that isn't going to be run stock profile? I was planning on memtesting anywhere from 12 to 24 hours just to be sure before I leave ebay feedback and also don't want to hurt the ram either (I assume it would give off errors long before if memtest stressed it that bad).

Here is a photo of it running, is this set correct:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well ok but feedback shouldn't really be dependent on OC ability. More like if as described and they work or not. YMMV too and all that.

But yeah you can just let it run (though even 12 hours is a long time--three full runs is good) and yeah it will start to throw up obvious red errors long before it melts. Not much to tweak though there are options (can choose a particular test etc) if you hit c.

What voltage on that screen?
    Vario says thanks.
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
  4. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Okay!

Yes you are right on YMMV. The auctioneer stated he passed memtest 4 passes with 1600 9-9-9-27 so I figure I should duplicate that to pick up any errors. What I am perplexed by is the ddr3 1200 mhz // 2400mhz speeds! I don't have it set anywhere near that in my bios. What the hell voltage is it running it at?

Oh man thanks cadaveca that new version is so much better! Should I run failsafe? Multithreading? Ram is not my forte.

I see this on another forum:
    Multicore does passes much faster, 18 mins for pass1. Should I run say 12 hours before feedback? Running them at the 1600 speed stock now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
  5. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Oh I thought you were testing OC based on the screen and how you said "legit". The RAM speed (and voltage etc) is set in BIOS you are just missing it I guess. Which board is this on? Yeah you want to make sure it's not overvolting at like 1.6 or something. Check either in hardware health or whatever in BIOS or use AIDA or something.

Edit: Oh man the new memtest is so much better! Surprised I didn't run into it earlier. Hmm the CPU temp shows 10C hotter than onboard lcd readout tho...
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I love this new memtest! :toast: Nah I just want to run the ram in memtest awhile before I write any feedback for this guy, seems like good business.
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    don't worry about the options, just let it do it's own thing, and if it notices that you have an incompatible platform for the multi-threaded part, it should just run the testing single-threaded.

Also be aware that the first pass of Memtest is a short test for quick stability testing, and if you let it go for another round, you'll see that the second round takes significantly more time to complete. So you must do at least 2 passes, if not more, to know how stable you really are. Actually I seem to remember the author saying that it would take like 9 hours of just test 7 to fully test that specific pattern, so proper testing is well over 24 hours, IMHO.
    Vario says thanks.
  8. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Ah is that new too? I am pretty sure all passes were same in old version...

Heh this one even makes a cool little noise when it starts. The only issue I see so far is the CPU temp on my setup. Other sensor apps read the same temp as my board itself displays.
    Vario says thanks.
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I ran it 12 hours, no problems. Left the guy good feedback!
  10. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Badass ram: 2133 9-9-9-28 1N @ 1.5v. Haven't even bothered tinkering further yet. Probably could go tighter on the timings. Didn't see any option for 2400 anymore after I switched the xeon out to the 2550k this morning.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is. I have the same though I think it seemed to like my old P55 better than my Z77 in terms of OC though, frankly, I need to mess with them again on this rig. There are long threads about it at most forums incl. here but most of the activity was well over a year ago now.
  12. HiSpeed

HiSpeed

Thanks Received:
    cadaveca says thanks.
  13. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Just picked up a 3rd stick of this stuff, loving it so much. Got the single stick for $23 shipped because of seller listing it poorly. Went over the image of it really closely to make sure it was really the Samsung 30nm Miracle Memory Patent Medicine, the REAL AUTHENTIC GENUINE ARTICLE.

Yep, it is. Memtesting 3 sticks at 2000 mhz cas 10 1.51v in the cosmos now. I want to keep collecting these whenever they pop up on ebay mislabeled. Is there any issue to memtesting with 3 sticks on a 4 stick but dual channel mobo? I figure no...?
  14. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    15 hours deep so far no problems 2000mhz cas10 timings 1.51v with the 3 sticks. Gotta keep an eye out for more $23 green sticks out there.
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Indeed.