1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro 2033 more demanding than Crysis in terms of performance?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Monkey_Business, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Business Guest

I've been reading up about the upcoming PC game "Metro 2033" and it's supposed to be even more performance demanding than Crysis. It's a RAM and graphics hog. It's the only game thus far which would actually touch 8+ GB of RAM. The GPU recommendation is the the GeForce GTX 480 "Fermi" cards, preferably in SLI. I didn't think any game would overtake the performance demand of Crysis, other than Crysis 2.

Do you think Crysis 2 and Metro 2033 would be similar in hardware demand?
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Upcoming?

If they really put that down in writing... it's pretty stupid since the GTX480 aren't out yet.
    How can one recommend to use a GPU which isn't available for sale?
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    games been out for a while, and it is a performance hog. ATI 5K card owners seem to have no trouble with it, and they say the graphics is great.
  4. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I cant see this being as demanding as the 'tech demo' also known as CrySis :D
  5. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I must say this is the most demanding game (other than Crysis) that I have ever played. Unsure if more demanding than Crysis though.
  7. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    If you take away the DX11 features then not really.

Crysis is pretty much doable at 40+ frames, and even more with some simple .cfg adjustments, as long as FSAA is off(and edge[leaves blur] is on) [(and even then you can have AA on indoors and everything is fine)].

Metro takes a decent hit with it's MSAA applied, but in a good portion of areas, it's not that bad. It's when you run into certain particle fields or advanced lighting scenes, that everything starts to come crashing down, which suggests it's probably more a physics thing (and possibly also driver related).

On average, the games are about equal in their own respective ways.

However since Metro offers DX11, then that's a level unattainable by Crysis, and thus it would technically make it more demanding.

Interestingly enough, the game Risen has a very Crysis like feel with regards to it's art and texture style. A lot of times it feels like you're playing Crysis RPG when you're out and about the forest areas. Of course the texture resolution isn't AS high, and there's not a bunch of smoke and dust and explosions, but with AA and some config tweaks for inreased visuals, it slams the GPU more than Crysis.
  8. Monkey_Business Guest

I didn't realize that Metro 2033 was out yet.
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Oh it is my monkey friend, and it is one demanding game:laugh:
  10. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just my honest opinion . . . I can't claim that Metro is more demanding than Crysis . . . it uses features and hardware that Crysis won't, but this game runs damn near perfect on my setup - all in all, it performs equally to Crysis, per my hardware setup.

Although, I'm limited to DX10 (ATM) . . . So I can't compare Metro "maxed out" against Crysis. In theory, though, as had been pointed out, DX11 should bring a whole new aspect to it.

Even still, if you're looking for a game that's more demanding than Crysis; STALKER: Call of Pripyat easily takes the cake, in my book . . . and the official CoP Benchmark released by GSC IS NOT a good indicator of how CoP actually runs in-game.
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Trust me man, DX11 in this game is a system killer, if you want to play at full detail with DX11 features and AA on, you will need a HD5850 crossfire setup or better. You might be able to play full detail without AA on a HD5870 but you will have to play at a lower resolution:cry: well thats my experience so far, a HD5970 is perfect for this game, I kinda wish I still had one:rockout:
  12. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    true story. its a beatifull games in dx11, when i play i sometimes just have to stop and look around at the detail on everything, its plain amazing
  13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have been doing that as well, mainly when you get outside for the first time, I was looking at the detail for so long, I couldnt believe i was playing a game, and that wasnt even on full detail, cant wait for those HD5970 4gb versions to come out, same with 4gb RAM sticks:toast:
  14. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah thatll be fricking sweet chaos, makes me feel like i should have waited, but im happy with my 5850's they perform very well
  15. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    the game is only really demanding when you blow something up with physx on, with my GTX 280 oc'd if I blow up something with adv physx on framerate goes from like 50 to 5 instantly.
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Lol, I bet your 2 HD5850's kick arse especially when they are overclocked:toast:
  17. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I played the intro last night on metro 2033 with my 9600GT on low and it wassnt too bad.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    on dx11 very high 2560x1600 4xaa it's officially slower than crysis 2560x1600 ultra 4xaa .. i just tested
    Mussels, Lionheart and Arrakis+9 say thanks.
  19. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    dx10 i run this fine no problems at all.. everything max at 1920x1080
  20. Monkey_Business Guest

5 FPS?
  21. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    What cards were you using Wizzard?:eek:
  22. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    turning off the DX11 features will provide a massive performance increase for literally what is almost an impossible to tell difference.

the advanced DOF setting absolutely murders framerate, it's so hilariously subtle and framerate crippling that i'd say it's borderline broken.
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. DOF seems broken as well as MSAA. This game is more demanding than Crysis the way it is now.
  24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention most of the game is done in dark closed areas. I could run the game on very high when I was in the metro but I soon as I went outside I had to switch it to High. Fps would dip in the 20's for me.
  25. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another poorly optimised game that runs like crap without even looking that amazing then (I have looked on You Tube etc, don't seem like all too mouth-watering graphics at all).

I wonder if if in 5 years time we will still have METRO 2033 as a benchmark for DX 12 GPU's running with octacore 10GHZ CPU and 32GB RAM (this has been the way Crysis has went, which also isn't even that cool anymore yet still runs like crap on even the most high end systems).