1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro Last Light gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by Crap Daddy, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    NHKS, H82LUZ73, manofthem and 3 others say thanks.
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They had a preview write up on this in the latest PC Gamer.
    Looked interesting and the devs said they were going to fix some of the problems that the first Metro had.
  3. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Liked the little things in it (wiping blood/water off the mask) and the general atmosphere. Hopefully it has the same feel when it's released.
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I made it through all diff modes of Metro 2033 without buying anything. It had more to do with the military grade ammo being more useful as actual ammo than currency. This left me somewhat disappointed. I never felt safe buying even armor because being as the stock ammo was horrid when the going got tough, I didn't want to spend the scant amounts of mil grade stuff I stumbled upon. I also didn't like how the creature animations were a bit slow and unrealistically robotic. Other than that, the Biomass level was horribly optimized.

It appears they've listened and addressed at least a couple of these issues. The stock ammo seems more potent now and the creatures seem more fluid and detailed. I have to agree with the PC Gamer article on some scenes though, more schlock than shock. Amusing but accurate. As they said though, we won't know until we actually get our hands on it how good a game it is overall.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They went a bit overboard with the motion blur again.
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Looks fine to me:toast:
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    On characters, the enemy, etc. It looks horrible. They need to tone it down by at least half. I think the way they use motion blur is pretty good, it's just a bit too much. Everything in the environments looks good.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I re-watched the video, now I see your point:toast:
  9. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Guess I picked up metro 2033 at the right time.
  10. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea first thing i did int Metro 2033 was turn off their Depth of Field that was horrible optimized and made a huge impact on visuals looking cleaner

right now

Motion Blur + Depth of Field blurs shit, add in AAA which is much like FXAA or MLAA also causes bluring now add a Mask that also has a very small amount of bluring its just way to much blur lol
  11. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I really dislike motion blur in all games
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Looks awesome, probably a day 1 buy for me.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    The gameplay looks great. I wanted the game to be just a little more life-like. They certainly delivered with some new animations like the facemask wiping and whatnot. Whoever liked 2033 will love Last Light, cuz I know I will. But I hate waiting so long for it to drop!! :banghead:
    And regarding the motion blur, I just wish they took it out altogether. Just horrible and does nothing positive for the game. I love that you at least have the option of turning it off, otherwise there would've been some pissed off gamers at 4A I can tell ya that!
  14. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    manofthem why do you have such an awesome PC build and then an Acer monitor... :ohwell:
  15. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Should we boycott Metro until he changes to another brand?
  16. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Haha, because my wife for it for me for an anniversary present. I bought one of those Korean monitor, but it was total garbage, broken and never worked. So now I'm left with what I have until I can afford something else.

Edit: maybe I'll remove the Acer from my system specs so people dont notice ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just bought one of those korean monitors... >.> will be here monday probably... fml.

:(
  18. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I never did like the way Metro 2033 makes you pick graphics options as a set vs piecemeal. You'd think in a game with such detailed graphics they'd let you pick and choose. At least you can do some creative file editing though, such as retaining Very High textures without that horrid blur, among other things.

On another note, I still think Artyom is one of the coolest video game protagonist names of all time. Anyone agree?
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Can you state you reasoning behind why you think so? I don't think I have a favorite protagonist. I can tell you my favorite games and why, and metro 2033 was great. The story was one of the best I have seen in a game, its atmosphere was superb, and the graphics would of been good if I had a computer that could play them at the time.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Gonna be the 1 of 2 games I buy this year. MOH War Fighter is the other.I'm still playing 2033 it scares the crap out a me....I think I m half way (is being on the surface half way ?)Any ways At least in this we can see some of what happen when all Hell broke loose.That one scene where the fury over sized rat jump at him, I pooped my shorts a bit.......:confused::eek:
  21. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Playing first one again XD

Hopefully I don't get stuck this time ( couldn't find a way to progress further)

How do I go about switching of actor blur? It looks like monsters and people are glitching rather than being blurred to me : /
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  22. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Will there be a demo?
  23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Let me first say that I advise you make a folder in the game directory called Default user.cfg, and copy and paste that file in there. Then you can easily replace the edited one should you make some errors in editing.

In user.cfg do an Edit\Find search for blur. You're looking for r_deblur_dist (and sick_mblur if you don't want the blur that shows when you're sick). Change their values to 0, like this: r_deblur_dist 00. and sick_mblur 0. . Don't worry about r_local_mblur_coef, it won't have any effect because you will have basically turned blur off.

If you want Very High textures just set the game to Very High before doing the file edit.

@James,
    I was merely talking about the name Artyom being used for a protagonist, not him being my favorite protagonist himself. I just like the name that's all.
    pantherx12 and james888 say thanks.
  24. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. It is a pretty cool name I guess. A bit different sounding to me. I guess since it is russian.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I think you can still get Metro 2033 for like $4.99 on Steam's Summer Sale. Don't remember if it was yesterday or still running today, do yourself a favor and check, because I can't :p