1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mice advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by THE_EGG, Nov 1, 2013.

1. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone, my beloved Microsoft Sidewinder X8 is starting to play up again where it refuses to recognise the charger has been connected so it does not work at all. The last time this happened I bought a Corsair M60 but the weights underneath it are corroding from the salty air here on the Gold Coast (I live 21 floors up across the road from the beach). Also the aluminium base is going powdery and weird. I'm currently using my old Sidewinder X5 that I don't mind but find it a little light.

I was wondering whether anyone knows of mice that don't have metal construction (to avoid corrosion) that are of a similar shape to the Sidewinder X5/X8. Wired or wireless, I don't mind :) I also know that mice are a very personal opinion so it may be quite difficult for me to actually find a mouse that I like.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    may I suggest you look into logitech wireless, I can't seem to get rid of my G700s, it is just too nice!

not exactly the same as the sidewinder, but no metal construction, and similar in design and offerings.

remixedcat and THE_EGG say thanks.
  3. _larry

_larry

Thanks Received:
    I have a Logitech Performance MX if you are interested.

THE_EGG says thanks.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I went from Sidewinder X5 to Steelseries Sensei RAW, so far so good. Front thumb button a little hard to reach.

THE_EGG says thanks.
  5. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    CMstorm Centinel advance I or II

THE_EGG says thanks.
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well my experience is terrible with mice and if your right handed go logitech as if you have any issue's you have a 3 year warranty backing the mouse.

And if thats not good enough reason lots of people like the logitech even i do but they lack in the left handed mice.

THE_EGG says thanks.
  7. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Logitech G500. Best mouse I ever had.

THE_EGG says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    OK cool thanks guys :) I had a go at a Sentinel before and it was close but it wasn't quite right. I think it will be down to the Sensei and G500 possibly the G700 but it will all come down to comfort. I'm going to try replacing the battery in the X8, a little dumb I hadn't thought of that beforehand :facepalm:

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well maybe go staples ( don't know if you have one ) or some other places like it to try at least the logitech mice as they are normally on the shelf.

Maybe try walmart i don't know how they treat you over their but in the US you have 30 days to take the item back if your not happy with it.

10. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    OK guys I don't like to restart a dead thread but the Sidewinder X8 IS ALIVE!!! Just happened to start charging again and I found a way of prolonging it's life by buying an Energizer recharge dock where I can recharge my AA's :D Also I can use them in other devices too.

Unfortunately we don't have Walmart but I heard they might be coming to Australia in the next few years or at least something similar. I've got a few independent computer shops where I get hardware from where I can test out a few mice.

11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Maybe this will help

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    THE_EGG says thanks.
  12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    G700 is an awesome mouse.

13. Aurelis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also use sidewinder x8 and i had issues with charging/signal and mouse wheel since the beginning.

Nevertheless - it is the best mouse i ever had so far. Two days ago i bought logitech G700s and i didn't like it at all - i couldn't reach front buttons and i kept pressing side buttons by accident. I also found out that i could move the mouse across steelseries mousepad without cursor registering my movements, so its not as precise as sidewinder.

I don't think that there's currently a proper replacement for sidewinder x8 and microsoft has stopped selling gaming equipment for some reason as well.

You could try logitech G602, its made from plastic and supposedly features different kind of laser than usual, unfortunately it doesn't have a charger but it uses 2 batteries and can last for days without recharging according to logitech. I also made a promise to myself to never buy wired mice's since cords tend to break easily.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I got tiny paws and I have no probs with the front buttons on my G700.

15. Aurelis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got normal sized hands and i had to constantly pay attention to buttons i was trying to press and actually struggle to reach them with my finger. Maybe i was holding it the wrong way.

I also noticed that small mouse movements wouldn't register properly, so it was hard to search videos in VLC player. I could move my mouse very slowly couple of inches without cursor changing its position even though i was using 2000 DPI with highest report rate.

I've already returned it anyway.

16. Go To Sleep

Go To Sleep

Thanks Received:
    I like how the title rhymes. :roll:

On-topic... I'd suggest the Razer Mamba because (I own it). It's fantastic :)

THE_EGG says thanks.
  17. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    G700/700+ highly recommended Razer : out of the window, i had Razer mices keyboard and none lasted (oh well i still use my Lycosa for my 2nd rig) still its flimsy "gamer" marketed and way overrated (they have some nice stuff like the Mamba indeed)

atm im using a Logitech G600 wich proved to be fairly above the Naga and her refresh, if i didnt needed 12 thumb buttons i would have gone G700+

imo logitech product are cheaper and sturdier than Razer (since i owned about the same of each brand i can compare and affirm my opinion but its only my opinion ofc)

18. Jimmy6

Jimmy6

Thanks Received:
    mice

I have Delux M900, its cheap and its not wireless, i have it for 3 years and it works perfectly, the best mice i`ve used seriously, also it has multimedia buttons.

19. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Not available outside of China/Asia.

On a side note, their mice look like designs copied off Logitech or Raptor Gaming/Corsair (Raptor gaming is now owned by Corsair)

20. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Any mouse that feels comfortable that uses the Avago ADNS-S3888 sensor (AKA the sensor with zero acceleration)

21. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    In other words - a mouse from Razer because they are the only ones currently using the Avago ADNS-S3888 ('Razer Proprietary' comes up in the searches which leads me to believe that sensor is made for or specifically licensed to Razer)

22. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    That's odd, I'm certain there were about 5 other mice in the world that used an Avago zero acceleration sensor. I shall begin my quest to find them... again.

EDIT: FOUND EM!!! List of mice with Zero Acceleration (they dont all use the same sensor, I was wrong):

Logitech G400
    CMStorm Xornet
    CMStorm Spawn
    Zowie AM
    Razer DA
    Razer Naga (Z Axis issue)
    Razer Imperiator (Z Axies issue)
    Mionix Naos
    Steelseries Ikari Optical
    R.A.T. 7 (Z Axis issue)
    Razer Mamba (Z Axis issue)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  23. zargana

Thanks Received:
    A nice gaming mouse from Genius.

htp://www.geniusnet.com/wSite/ct?xItem=55373&ctNode=3605

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well apart from the mice with Z Axis issues - Because youre gonna want to avoid them anyway. that kinda narrows the list down further and it becomes a case of what kind of games you play. Some of these mice are optical and some of them have low DPI compared to other mice which bumps them down to MMO/RPG grade mice and not really suitable for fps games. Im not saying you cant use a 2000DPI for fps games but thats too slow for me.

25. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    2400DPI is a sweet spot for FPS from what I'm reading on the CSGO tournaments. They then adjust sensitivity via ingame.