1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mice!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eric3988, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a question about high resolution mice. I know they are the different settings and stuff but how sensitive are they really? I'm upgrading from an old fashioned ball tracking mouse to a laser or optical one. Which brings me back to my question, how sensitive are the different dpi settings? Just in case if anyone wants to know I will primarily use my mouse for fps gaming among the standard things a PC user does.

2. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Higher dpi is more sensitive. The only time you'll need like 1600 to 2000 dpi is in gaming. Those kinds of mice like Razer’s and high-end Logitech are quite pricey, but are great for gaming. Usually 800dpi is plenty, but if your serious about your games, higher dpi will be better. Most of the high-end ones can adjust the sensitivity for use in Windows or other things that don't need 2000dpi.

3. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How much of a difference would you say the higher dpi makes in gaming? In addition I've read that getting used to the sensitivity can be a pain.

4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    I would say a fair bit, when I changed from my ball mouse to my optical, it was a real hard time getting use to it. But from 1600 to 2000 dpi, not that much, just a lot harder if not impossible to get the mouse to lose it's track. Say you like sniping, a higher dpi mouse will let you do the smallest changes in the aim. But being too high, can be a pain but it's usually adjustible. I don't like it to sensitive, it's just annoying. Read the review on the Razer Mouse on this site. It might be of some help.

-Dan

5. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, thanks. I was just playing COD2 and missing a lot when sniping too, lol.

6. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you think 800 dpi is enough for COD? Or any other fps?

7. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I recently got a 'Razer CopperHead 2000dpi' :pimp: and its awesome @ 1600dpi for any FPS, 2000dpi is way too fast IMHO (800dpi is good for windows)

The 'Razer CopperHead' is a bit pricey but well worth it m8 :D

8. Anarion New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'll assure u , u will enjoy every sec of playin with a 800 although if u mind just the best like many other here buy a 100bucks mice ...or 200 or 300 or 4000 :)

9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    were aer you guys adjusting dpi?

10. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    usualy the software thats comes with end end mice allows DPI configuration, some even allow creating profiles which are loaded when you execute a specific program, like 800dpi for word and 1600 for quake4,

also, the new G5 and G7 from logitech allow on the fly DPI adjusting with a botton on the mouse, so you can have fast aiming with that thompson while retaining a stedy hand with that mouser rifle without having to exit the game to reconfigure the mouse

11. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    dude I got an 80 dollar gaming mouse with high res software. When I gamed with it OMG it messed up everything. The sensitivity was Sooooooooo hi in game I couldnt even tune it down with in options ingame I had to minimise the game and turn it down so low that it took for ever to get the curser occros the screen then when I got back into game it was still to fast. So I tryed to get the sensitivity down in with the progy it came with to no avail. I uninstalled the program and even after that It was still to fast. It was like that with all the games I had and I play online games. So I had to restore my PC from a week priyer in order to get rid off that crap.

I tryed the Help menue that came with that progy however it made no diffrence.. I will never put any software that comes with any mice.....DONT DO IT...lol :banghead:

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I got a G5 from my Missus for Xmas I have been using it for about a week initially moving from optical to Laser 800dpi seemed pretty quick, its what I normally rub it on all the time if Im sniping I knock it down to 600 or 400 depending on the situation and kick it up to 1600 or 2000 when I hop in tanks/APCs in BF2 so I can get the turrets around quicker, now how anyone could do anyththing useful at 1600+dpi I will never understand as Dillinger said so fast its near impossible to follow, now of course I can change that on the fly right on the mouse

13. Anarion New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

when somebody buy a 100$ mice , then @least must bought a 21'' mnt & alot fuss&cash on vga to paly on very high res so that mice can answer his need !

btw those hi-res pointing devices are NOT commonly made for gamers they used for engineers or someone like me...;)

14. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    you see always having to change it just sucked! i like to keep it simple and that changing it on the fly and binding keys and all that just didnt work for me cuz I have most of my key bound for in game stuff I admin servers so I have most of my keys bound for like "status" in DOD & Rcon stuff so I can quickly "slay" & "kick" & "ban" It was just to much hooplah for me to deal with. I'm more confortable with what I aready have. & and in BF2 WOW it ws horible i mean one little slite move of the mouse I just spun lol and having to minimize the game every time to tune it down was to much...

15. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    DPI makes a huge impact- 2000DPI will result in high sensativity, fast movement, while 400 will provide nice slow accurate aiming.

The logitech G7 is amazing... :) You can select 5 different custom dpi settings from 400 to 2000 dpi and its wireless... 2 battery packs.. I absolutely friggin love mine... Highly recommended..

Get it, and you dont have to worry about "which dpi is better" you can use em all ;)

16. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

nope.. gaming is taking over ;)

17. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    You dont bind keys. Its 2 small + and - buttons by the scroll wheel. If you dont wanna change it, you dont have to, if you want to you can.. simple button press on the mouse, and poof! instant dpi change... :) It is magnificant once you experience it... :D If you have to minimize it to change the dpi, get a decent brand mouse.. ;) *cough* G7*cough*

18. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I use my scrolls to change weapons etc, thumb button is ALWAYS reload for any game I do wish they woulda put the DPI adjustments on the side be alot easier to change on the fly