1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microphone help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JBudOne, May 8, 2006.

1. JBudOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I am having a problem where I cannot hear myself while I talk into the mic. I know the mic is working, volume for everything is up, I have RealTek HD Audio. The driver is updated and everything. Is there like a program I can use to hear myself while i'm on record? Or a setting I can change somewhere so I can hear myself in the speakers as i'm talking into the mic? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
  2. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you have azalia realtek HD integrated audio?

if so, did you connect the "front microphone" feature on your case to your mobo?

most motherboards, like mine, with azalia will only let you use either the front jack or the rear, not both.

if you say people do hear you and you just need a program to hear yourself, windows should come with a sound recorder,

START>all programs> accesories> entertainment > "sound recorder"
  3. JBudOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think I have Azalia. I'm not exactly sure how to tell whether or not I have it. Also, the mic won't work when I connect it to the front. It only works when I connect it in the back. And like, I can hear myself if I record it, just, on my moms computer as i'm talking into the mic I can hear myself on the microphone at the same time as I talk into it. Any suggestions? =(
  4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Ok, real easy fix. Go to volume control, make sure mic is turned on. Next, go into advanced features and make sure you have under the software to control it, "Azalia Sound," or whatever. Next, make sure that windows is recognizing you have a mic plugged in (look at the hardware). Also, if you want to hear yourself speak, there is an option you can turn on in the "advanced" options for sound menu.
  5. JBudOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks so much for the help =)) I just needed to turn the mic volume up, it was right at the bottem. =)) Thanks very much, its greatly appreciated. =S I was needing this whicked bad for so long. Could never figure out what the prob. was =P Anyways, again thanks, I really appreciate it =)
  6. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    For some reason it's often muted or turned off in the sound options/Advanced ones, catches a lot of people out.
  7. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It really all depends sometimes. When i play like cs i cant hear myself through my speakers but obviously other people can hear me. Do what the first guy said and record yourself.
  8. Mystwraith New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured I'd post to this thread because it seems close to the hardware I'm having a problem with.

I purchased a new Asus motherboard the other day works great accept when trying to use the microphone under Windows XP. I'm use to using TeamSpeak under XP with a headset (mic/headphone comb). I'm also familar with the sound and audio setup under the control panel or the speaker icon in the "loaded app tray" near the clock. I've turned the microphone volume all the way up under Windows and through the mixer of RealTek HD Audio. I've also enabled the 20Db boost for the microphone under advanced. I'm a faint whisper in all audio applications that use a microphone. I'm new to RealTek HD Audio and I'm thinking that it is causing the problem, or at least the way the driver works. Normally under the Windows Mixer there is a radio buttom to switch from record to playback. Since I've been using RealTek HD Audio is defines separate devices through the drop down menu. I believe that the 20Db boost that normally is applied even though it's part of the "playback" configuration is not being applied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.