1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microphone on headphones NOT working on Windows 7!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by minstreless, Dec 12, 2012.

1. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    ok... i have a headset (koss cs-100) with mic that is not working for some unknown reasons. the headset itself is working nicely. i can hear sound and such, but the mic is not working. i have used it a lot of times before without issues, but now it does not work all of a sudden...

you know when the mic is working and you 'tap' on the mic, you hear this mic kind of sound.. well, i cannot hear it anymore...

the headset got of course 2 jacks; 1 for headset, 1 for mic. i have plugged the headset to the headphones-port and mic to the pink mic-port. when i go to control panel -> sound -> recording, i can see that the 'microphone - realtek high defenition audio' is enbaled and set as default. i still cannot hear that tap-sound.... i have also checked everywhere whether the mic is muted, but it's not! i've turned the volume to 100 and the levels to +10db. this is driving me crazy!

i have a webcam with a mic, but its quality sucks, so i have disconnected the webcam.

i wanna use the mic on skype, but apparently it does not work... :/

so, HOW on earth do i get my mic on my headset to work again?!?!

2. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Take screenshots of your Recording devices and of your skype microphone options available.. Words are not enough I'm afraid :(

3. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    here you go: [​IMG]

hope that helps. bottom to the left is the skype.

Binge says thanks.
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    disconnect the mike clean the jack and clean the connector plug it in, check your windows Audio properties to ensure your mic port is selected and turned all the way up. jiggle the connector in the port (possibly the wire or the mic might of went bad)

5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that looks all very familiar. If you can borrow one of those sh!tty desk mics from a friend and use the same port. You need to find if the mic went dead in your headset as well as check that microphone port.

6. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Are you in the correct hole? I hear that's a common problem o.o

7. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    i will try the different holes. perhaps one hole is better than the other...

8. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    ok, i tried changing ports, but NO effect!

what is really confusing is that when i plugin the webcam, which has a built-in mic, it screws up the recording-section like wtf!! so, i disabled it, but i still cannot speak to the mic! i tried another headset with a mic and that worked like a charm!

here are my recording settings now: [​IMG] - which one out of those is the mic on my headphones?!

im so confused..

and yes, the mic on my headphones worked fine along with the webcam before, but not anymore...

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Well if the Mic on the New Headset works but the other you had doesnt well that means the old mic is Junk

10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    turn the volume up on the headset mic?