1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces Availability of Windows Upgrade Offer

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 1, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft Corp. today announced the availability of the Windows Upgrade Offer for consumers purchasing a qualifying new Windows 7 PC. The Windows Upgrade Offer provides consumers who buy an eligible Windows 7 PC the option to purchase a downloadable upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for an estimated retail price of just $14.99 (U.S.) during the time of the promotion, which will be redeemable when Windows 8 is generally available. The Windows Upgrade Offer is just the first of many consumer offers that will roll out in conjunction with the general availability of Windows 8.

"We've seen a great interest in Windows 8, especially given the availability of the Windows 8 Release Preview this week, and yet we know many consumers want a new PC now," said Tami Reller, chief marketing officer and chief financial officer of Windows at Microsoft. "The Windows Upgrade Offer gives people the flexibility to purchase the new Windows 7 PC they need today, with the knowledge they can easily get Windows 8 when it's available."

This program begins tomorrow in 131 markets including the U.S. and Canada and is available for consumers buying new Windows 7 PCs that are preinstalled with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate and include a matching and valid OEM Certificate of Authenticity. The Windows 7 PC must be purchased new during the eligibility period June 2, 2012–Jan. 31, 2013, and redeemed before the program expiration at the end of February 2013. Consumers who register for the Windows Upgrade Offer will be able to download Windows 8 starting the day it is made available generally. The upgrade can be installed on any eligible and compatible Windows PC and comes with 90 days of support from Microsoft.

More information on taking advantage of the Windows Upgrade Offer can be found here.

cadaveca says thanks.
  2. Undead46

Undead46 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lame... Bought a new laptop a week ago, so it looks like I'm ineligible! :banghead:

Doubt AutoCAD would work properly on Win8 right off the bat anyways. :p

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They better extend that offer to all Windows 7 owners...and Vista too for that matter. If there's a way to in-place upgrade, it should be available. It's more money in Microsoft's pocket and will speed up getting old operating systems out of usage statistics.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ugh, why pre-installed?

I'm going to buy a Win 7 next week, but since I'm building the system myself it won't be pre-installed. :ohwell:

5. naram-sin

naram-sin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think "preinstalled" is the key here. Because, you can always ask for your retailer to sell you and OEM version (he could, really :) ). That way, I think, this promo would work for you as well. But keep in mind it's an OEM, so there is no license transfer to an eventual new machine.

Black Panther says thanks.
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Why the hell i can't run the damn thing inside VMWare Player!? If i install under Win7 it's not working and if i pick Other 64bit, it ends up with some error during installation. Weird...

7. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Free downgrades for everybody!

MadClown says thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    "System Builder" COA legally must be pre-installed. So if you're buying COA, you are technically the system builder so it is technically pre-installed.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. hhumas

Thanks Received:
    no need to upgrade

10. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    this was unofficially announced a month ago

return yours to the store & buy again :nutkick:

cuz the customer isnt exactly paying for the OS when they buy a computer, now MS can get $15 from all these customers

11. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I believe they know Windows 8 is not going to be the best-seller they had hoped.

You should listen to your customers, Microsoft, rather than the yes-men 'focus groups' you hire...

hellrazor says thanks.
  12. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    I’m buying a Microsoft Technet subscription in a month or so,….

No need to buy an upgrade or full OS.

13. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Why ruin a perfectly good OS with Metro and pay to do it?

hellrazor says thanks.
  14. Perra New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guess I will try it when it hits MSDNAA or whatever they renamed it to... doubt I will replace win7 with it though.

15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Had that problem with that first release back in .. September was it? It worked in Workstation though, and I think Virtualbox could do it as well..

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Even if I qualified, they aren't getting my $15 unless they give me the start menu back. That new Metro start page kills my productivity. Extra clicks for everything.

hellrazor says thanks.
  17. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    $14.99 for Win8?

If that was the retail price I might... nah, still too much for Metro on desktop.

18. atikkur

Thanks Received:
    14.99 for Win8? I'd better to buy games.