1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft announces next-generation Xbox One console(uses windows kernel))

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, May 21, 2013.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Microsoft announced its next-generation Xbox One gaming console at a press event held at its Redmond, Wash., headquarters Tuesday morning, finally revealing the device that's been the subject of rampant rumors and speculation for months.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-announces-next-generation-xbox-one-console

Microsoft announced that the Xbox One will run on the Windows kernel and that now means that Microsoft has that platform running on phones, tablets, laptops, servers, and now the Xbox.

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-uses-the-windows-kernal-completes-the-ecosystem

2. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    NO to XBOX anyway,but still will look how it unfolds

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It has transistors, and plenty of them!

[​IMG]

It will also have USB 3.0, WiFi N, 500GB HDD (which was "designed in-house", whatever that means), Blu-Ray, and it is connected to Azure, which I think is the most interesting thing. They even tell of MP matches with 64 and 128 players. Chunk off processing stuff to the cloud?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one#hardware

4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    sony did not reveal their console but ms did huh, I really like some of the features over the PS4 as they seem like things I would use myself, the tv integration is something I would use the PS4 share nonsense is something I would not.

The downside though, . . . . . the games, not much on the gaming side was revealed, there was some ea sports, Forza, and cod ghosts and some other game I did not care about but they did say many more titles would be at E3 anyway.

5 billion transistors did take me by surprise also.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Here's a MOBO pic-

[​IMG]

Looks pretty sweet to me.

H82LUZ73, james888, hellrazor and 2 others say thanks.
  6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    looks like its an AMD apu for sure then, jaguar it is.

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It runs Windows... So, it's a PC.

H82LUZ73, FordGT90Concept and AsRock say thanks.
  8. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Too bad for console gamers that used games will be limited - games are tied to live account and m$ needs some $ to "untie" them :D although once registered, you can play offline ... much like on the PC ... not always online, but no internet - no game install

9. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    FOr consoles i care only gaming evolution,dont care about integrated TV,size of HDD,or whatever there is more for goodies :p

10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:

A single 40-nanometer chip contains both the CPU and GPU rather than the two dedicated 90-nm chips needed in the 360. In fact, a custom SOC (system on a chip) module made by AMD contains the CPU/GPU chip, the memory, the controller logic, the DRAM, and the audio processors, and connects directly to the heat sink via a phase-change interface material. Whew.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one#hardware

james888 says thanks.
  11. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    5 billion transistors... that says nothing about the actual performance of the chip, this and Sony's blurry shots of the PS4 says nothing to me other than console manufacturers are trolling us at this point :shadedshu

EDIT:

So 5 billion transistors including embeded RAM? That's even worst than I thought if at all true, even current GPUs from AMD and Nvidia utilize a higher transistor count for the GPU die alone, this can't be right :twitch:

EDIT 2: you can clearly see the DRAM modules around the APU in the shot of the mobo you posted, so that transistor count is for the APU only, I was begining to think MS had gone with a Wii U class CPU :p

it seems both the XBOX and the PS4 will be on pretty much equal standing in terms of relative performance once they are released

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    i have a 360 slim right now, though i really don't see me upgrading to either the ps4 or the xbox one anytime soon. more than likely this will just push me back to the htpc/gaming box in my living room...

thanks for the pics and links though

13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I'm excited for more games on PC since this is basically a PC based console. There is no excuse now not to have PC versions. They can no longer lie either about "porting" since there is nothing to port anymore.

14. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Thats a bit shit, so the rumours of a dgpu were off then, over a ps4, that dgpu was the only bit keeping my attention on the nextbox tut.

More than 25k PPD
  15. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    kinda true but their will always be lazy developers here and there that still pull that out.

Another matter is that since both the 360 and PS4 now use(for sure) AMD APU's, nintendo will have to really grab out to third party devs and publishers.:shadedshu

16. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    No 802.11ac WiFi??? And calling it Xbox one is gonna confuse a lot of people because the original Xbox is often called Xbox 1. Also most people are saying it won't drive a 4k display.

Good on the use of Windows kernel and the huge multiplayer matches.

17. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I watched the reveal it was meh, I really dislike the name Xbox One... it's the third one! I get what they tried, but I think many people will get confused. I will buy a Xbox One just for Forza 5, but they do seem to have moved more towards family entertainment than gaming.

Loads of pics. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one-photos/?viewall=true

I like some of the prototypes more than the final layout and it looks like they have a seagate HD, and than fan looks poorly designed only 5 large blades hope its quite.
    [​IMG]

jgunning, insane 360 and james888 say thanks.
  18. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I probably means you can't just take it off and slap on any other 2.5'' SATA HDD and continue rocking on with more space.
    Which was already the case with the xbox 360, I think, but due to the firmware being in it...not some architectural/design thing.

19. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Games will be at E3. What they showed was much more impressive than I expected. Stuff I can actually use vs the PS4's facebook bullshit. Sooo much money to be saved on the cable bill with this thing. It'll be interesting to see what kinda of gaming can be done with kinect now that it's instant response and higher res.

20. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    If today's high-tier cards sweat to run games at that resolution, what makes you think an equivalent to a current entry-level chip could do it?

21. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    If I remember with the 360 you needed to use certain WD hdd's flashed or something on the Fat models, not too sure about the slims. I would say their might be different models with different drive sizes but it looks pretty unlikely.

22. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    This is all hard to digest/translate if they don't give any graphics power specs. It's said that Sony's PS4 has equivalent to 7850 GPU power. Some have said MS' unit will be graphically weaker, some say more powerful. They need to be more specific on these details.

23. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it will be capable of driving a 4k display at all, what I find interested is the increase in Xbox Live servers. It's like they want to be OnLine.

24. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I like this shot. Simultaneously shows off a great tech feat. (shredding rubber) while still showing how far we have yet to go (sharp poly edges on the bumper.) Also I think from now on we should refer to it as the Xbone. Saying xbox "one" is just aggravating and reeks of Wii "U" levels of stupidity.

[​IMG]

25. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Horrible name but the console has lots of potential. I predict the PS4 will provide even more competition this generation.