1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft announces next-generation Xbox One console(uses windows kernel))

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, May 21, 2013.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Its because they are boasting 64-128 multiplayer games. Also itll be linked to Azure which is a high performing cloud computing service, which is supposivily aiding in the online service, and multiplayer games.

2. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Here are a bunch of pictures of it.

3. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I really like the design. Going back to the nostalgic box shape. Looks sleek too. I'm concerned with the price though. Assuming the new Kinect sensor will be included I could see this being a ~$500 console at launch.

4. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    That or... MS could subsidize it just like they do with the $99 360 ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    lol TY _JP_.... I'm never going to be able to look at it again without thinking of the CDi :D

the one thing i don't get is the price tag. Xbox and PS have always been loss leaders. Now that there charging almost the same for the hardware that you would expect from a mITX machine there is no point in using them.

I mean you can get an A8, 8gb ram, 500gb HDD and a case for under £400. The only selling point is kinect and exclusive titles for me, and neither are that important. If I want to stream media you can do it for £50 with a Pi.... these consoles actually offer nothing.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the looks of it. It's just missing a nice wood veneer.

yogurt_21 and tigger say thanks.
  7. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    64-128 is old news. MAG pretty much demolished that on PS3. I'd much rather have the 4k display IMO, but I understand why they aren't including it.

hellrazor says thanks.
  8. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Erocker your mission is to build one of them into one of these :D

[​IMG]

9. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I like the look of the next Xbox. I can only assume they're calling it Xbox One to market it as the only device you need in your living room for all of your entertainment needs.

It's not "always on" but it requires the internet at least once every 24 hours to maintain licenses and nonsense. Lame.

Rumored "online pass" for used games. Now I know why EA decided to drop the online pass!

Included and required Kinect. I really don't want to be force fed the Kinect. If I wanted one, I'd have one. Besides, it's too Orwellian for me, I mean this console appears to be designed to watch you as much as you watch/play it.

The good things are the 500GB HDD, which will become outdated sooner rather than later. Full game installs on the system with no disc swapping required. The jump to an x86 architecture means better ports for PC (and if it really is using the Windows kernel and other parts of the OS means no porting as it will be developed for both platforms at once).

Bottom line. As nice as the system looks, I will be passing on it. I already have one sitting next to my desk. I already have a service that limits my loaning and reselling of games as they remain account bound.

Did they say whether XBL will continue to be a subscription service? I like the deal they have with the NFL as long as it is free/included with XBL subscription, but knowing both Microsoft and the NFL it will cost extra.

Those new controllers look legit though, can't wait to use one with my PC.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As you can see I added the luxurious faux stained wood accent along with a desperately needed integrated clock/radio. Got rid of that Kinect mumbo-jumbo witchcraftery!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  11. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    hellrazor says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    So in terms of actual Gaming on this "console" now

Xbox One games have CD Keys it seems(just like PC games)
    You need to connect to live every 24 hours or all games will be blocked(this is confirmed)
    lent out games = fee(games are locked to live accounts via the cd keys so where does this leave preowned games)
    No backwards compatibility

13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    But porting to pc's is a breeze!

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    it will be a breeze with the the PS4 also, because based on the gaming aspect the PS4 is looking better now to me, nifty features are nifty but arkics earlier was right, gaming is where it matters and microsoft based on this conference and what they failed to mention(from the obvious backlash) has failed in my mind in that regard. They have alot of work ahead of them.

15. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Yeah demolished it, and then failed when the lag was incredibly bad, it was unplayable.

16. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I knew it! I think we'll finally see the end of PC neglect. No more crappy ports, no more severe consolitis, and maybe even multiplayer games that support split screen with multiple Xbox controllers.

Not really. It sounds like PS4 is still using proprietary libraries for just about everything. Microsoft's libraries on Xbox and on Windows are virtually the same. I wouldn't be surprised with the Xbox One if virtually all games are designed for PC first (quicker to test) and then ported to Xbox second.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Everybody keeps saying things about ports being a thing of the past when these consoles come out. I think you're all going to be hurrendously disappointed. I have no doubt in my mind, that regardless of kernel or hardware, games that are developed for these consoles will still run like trash on anything other than one of these APU box consoles, unless devs make a special effort.

18. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Is anyone else worried that the Kinect can detect emotion/read your heart beat and the xbox won't run without it operating? They're going to read everyone who plays a game/watches TV through it like a book and send it to MS marketing. So much for privacy.

19. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Having to pay a fee to play used games? No wonder MS avoided the topic completely in the press conference, this is going to anger a lot of ppl, what advantage is there to owning the "one" compared to the PC then, besides a few exclusives?

Yes, you can't let your friend borrow PC games either, but, in the vast majority of cases new PC games get much cheaper way faster than their console counterparts :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Don't buy an android or ios phone then as they do just as much tracking etc of course you're right but everyone is watching you already so what can you do.

21. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Not care in the slightest, my life isnt very interesting, I'm sure they'd agree.

22. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Can an android phone read your emotion, sense your body heat and tell your heart rate bpm, and everyone of those around you?

The quality of the kinect is outrageous. Watching a TV that watches you back. Scary stuff.

23. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I see 16 memory chips. Does that mean that the total width of the memory bus is 16x32 = 512 bit?

24. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I love this Q&A:

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
    A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.

Will you punch me in the face?
    No, i will not. But your face is going to get punched, by me.

25. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    not necessarily, but it means 4 gigabit per chips (hence 8GB in total)