1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft announces next-generation Xbox One console(uses windows kernel))

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, May 21, 2013.

1. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Kudos for being featured on kotaku :toast:

erocker says thanks.
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    erocker and BiggieShady say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That thing in all wood would look good actually. We need more wood in our lives.

4. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    just a note, most of the tv features are all tied to the user having a STB and cable (premium) subscription...only netflix and hulu+ i think don't have to be tied to it...hbo go...espn...

i've even heard talk about abc/cbs/fox all working on different streaming apps but they would be tied to your cable subscription...

sucks for me, i use an antenna on my roof and have an hdhomerun dual that lets me use it through media center and thus through my 360...with the xbone coming out i think they are finially killing media center completely....and going with the fact that you need a cable sub to get much in the way of content.

5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I am very happy the Xbox One comes with a Blu Ray player. Finally Microsoft has quit being stubborn about its beloved codecs used in HDDVD and moved on to what the market has chosen. :toast:

6. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Except it wasn't. :slap:

7. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I really like that look Erocker!they should make one with a cherry wood face wood go with lots of nice speakers out there.

8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Im excited because it's new and ill be watching this and the PS4 but I definitely won't be buying either, nor feel any need. Ive got my 360 if I want to play console games and do the whole home entertainment thing, which I never use as I play on the PC. When I do eventually play console I rock the emulators on my Wii anyway.

9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    hahahahahahahahahahahahah

5 Million points folded for TPU
  10. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:

The xbox is just that. Xbox. It was never officially called the xbox 1. So I don't see the issue. In the future just refer to it as the original xbox or just xbox. :rolleyes:

Xbox One sounds much better than xbox 720.

I for one appreciate the design. It will fit right into my audio/video equipment.

11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    A fee to play friend's games is a real con. Sony is not doing this. One of the perks of having a console used to be the chance to buy and play a big selection of used games, or borrow them from friends. With the higher price of console vs PC games, plus the higher price of these systems, it's no wonder they spent much of the time talking about TV integration.

They're going to have to have some pretty good exclusives to compete with Sony, esp with that huge tradeoff of fees for used games. You can't find full length videos of this conference that show the Q&A after where used games are asked about because it's bad PR for them.

Also a 500GB HDD is not very big when you have to install every game, esp with the file size of games these days, and these next gen console games are going to be about as large as the PC ones now. In fact 500GB is pretty small when you consider this is an entertainment hub with DVR features.

12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    sadly yes
    Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights - YouTube
    the sad thing is that they defend that fee nonsense by saying, "you don't need to have the game in the console when you play it, what if you gave the game away so more than one person could play it at once":wtf: . . . . .

hellrazor says thanks.
  13. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    So let me get this straight in my head.

MS spent the majority of this conference talking about the multimedia features of the Xbox One. We're going to look past the name, the numerous details that MS never mentioned, and the fact that almost no real information was conveyed here.

MS has three problems.
    1) Used game market killers will make consumers and retail chains less than happy about spending $60 on a game, as resales will be forced to a lower price to make them reasonable. Consumers will bear the brunt of the value decrease, as a fat profit margin for used games disappear and the selection of more affordable games evaporates. This means lower sales figures overall, and consumers waiting for the prices of games to drop to more reasonable levels before purchase. A lose-lose-lose for consumers, publishers, and retailers.

2) Constant connection. Any continual dial-home feature is DRM. Those consumers than cannot have this connectivity will be out in the cold. Those who believe this "feature" is an excuse to monitor usage will not touch the console. There is a good reason the idiot that said "just deal with it" got fired. MS might have done the best thing for PR and fired him, but they might be riding those sentiments into their next console.

3) Exclusivity. The PS4 and Xbox will functionally be cousins. They have nearly the same hardware setup, and that necessitates some similarities in design. Likewise, the PC and a dozen different devices already do what the Xbox One purports to do. So where does that leave the, presumable, gaming console. It doesn't bring anything substantially better than a mid-tier PCs parts, it doesn't beat out other media devices for content provision. It doesn't even deliver a unique input medium, as the controllers are already capable of being used on any windows PC. Why would anyone with the money for an Xbox buy it?

There is only one way I see the Xbox One succeeding. Drop the new DRM features. Make new games cost $45, and have every game have an additional component withheld for $10. This component needs to not be necessary for the game, but it needs to be something that consumers who like a game would be willing to purchase. The publisher and MS divvy up this $10 expenditure, which should insure used game sales still benefit publishers. That comes in at $5 less expense for a customer, and the first time the content is purchased under resale the money that is "lost" will be recouped.

MS makes used game sales possible, forces prices to the consumers to go down, and still increases their earnings. I don't think MS has the balls to do this, because they have never shown this much initiative. In the same respect, I think the Xbox One will languish and be seen as underperforming. All of this is the fault of MS, as they seem to be stumbling about blindly in the dark. Windows 8 isn't the revelation MS wanted. Windows on my gaming console is foolish experiment.

14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    LOL, that was hilarious, maybe they should call this system TeeVee Duty. Personally I think having an assist dog is a nice touch for CoD Ghosts though. Dead to Rights had one called Shadow, and he was one of the cooler features of the game.

I have to say I feel having to install every game is a real downside though. They finally include an optical drive capable of storing entire games on one disc and they make you install games, which just takes time and eats up drive space. Clearly the ONLY reason is to make you validate the game with a code so you can't play used games without a fee.

I understand using the x86 platform to make developing and porting easier, but when you make it so much like PC on the user end, many are just going to say screw it and buy a PC. It's looking like these next gen consoles might sell for around $500. You add the higher price of games at or near launch and that now means in a shorter span of time than before you can now be spending easily as much as a $800 PC. A PC will now pay for itself within a couple years vs 3, maybe even less. If their exclusives don't do well things are not going to be looking good for them.

remixedcat says thanks.
  15. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think they would sell these consoles for $500 at launch. Not enough profit. I'm guessing it would be near a $1000 and a lot of people would still buy it coz of the holiday season.

They can show me a lot of shiny screenies and I still ain't gonna be impressed as most likely it would be capped at 30fps and would even have a hard time maintaining that.

16. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    You do realize how bad the PS3 got ripped on for having a $500 launch? I bet it won't be more than $399.

hellrazor says thanks.
  17. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Consoles are notorious for being sold at a loss for the first few years (Nintendo consoles being usually the exception to this rule) console makers usually make their profit from royalties collected from each game sold.

once the cost of manufacturing gets lower, the hardware itself becomes profitable, but that may take years, even more so with each new console cycle as their complexity keeps increasing.

As for having a bluray drive, the only advantage is you'll be able to watch current movies on it, as games will require a mandatory installation, that 500GB drive will get filled real fast...

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. toilet pepper

toilet pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. I understand where y'all are coming from. Price it at around $700 and people would still buy it. Same reason people would buy an overpriced graphics card, an overpriced phone or an overpriced headset/earphones. All they have to do is show them a shiny COD clip and that would seal the deal.

19. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well we can always hope they will take some of this backlash in and redesign and fix some of these issues because it really is apparent that fee is just a cash grab, they could have made it just as easy to need to have the disc in the tray and just adopted something similar to the PS4's approach but yea . . . . . . . I would not be surprised if publishers wanted the feature in the cons - - - htpc.

20. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Anandtech did a pretty good comparison of the specs. Even tho they're based on the same platform, MS and Sony have went for two very different strategies. Seems like Sony will be packing in a lot more GFX power.

21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Out of everything I have seen so far. Sony looks to have the better next gen console so far. Not just in hardware.

22. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't surprise me. After this reveal it's clear that much of the power of the One is in it's tri level OS that is mostly media based. When they say 5 bill transistors yet don't say anything about graphics compute power, you have to wonder if it's lackluster.

23. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    I really like the look of the Xbox One.

24. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    [yt]KbWgUO-Rqcw[/yt]

:laugh: :laugh:

HalfAHertz says thanks.
  25. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I don't get the need to bundle in the Kinect. I'm confused at that one.