1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces Surface: New Family of PCs for Windows

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 19, 2012.

?

Does this have the potential to beat the iPad?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    So they can be in Microsoft's walled in garden instead? I'd prefer to roam free via android thank you. If you are talking about the Pro version, well it will too expensive to compete with the iPad anyway.
  2. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    It will be around for a short time, however, it will eventually disappear just like the Zune. Sadly for Microsoft, they take forever to realize a product isn't going to make it.
  3. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    I hope you are joking when referring to Apple's vs Microsoft/Google's walled in gardens?

Personally, I'd rather not have Google know anything about me if I have a choice.

I think MS is marketing the Pro version as an ultrabook competitor moreso than strictly tablet, but there is much overlap between the two categories.
  4. Rhyseh

Thanks Received:
    Everyone seems to be missing where this product absolutely trounces the competition and that is that it is both a tablet and a fully functional PC in one. This is going to make waves in the business community, finally a tablet device that supports current business infrastructure, that can be controlled be group policy and secured by technologies that are already present in 90% of big businesses.... No more half baked solutions that you currently have to implment to make Apple and Android based devices work in big enterprises (not to mention the extra support costs that come with these devices)... This is a device that has the potential to be easy to implement, have low implementation costs and has a positive ROI (something all the other tablet devices lack).

Tablet devices are all well and good on their own, but for any serious business user you still cannot replace the laptop/desktop with one, the same goes for fully functional OS's on tablet devices they are just too unwieldy to use efficiently on the move. This product has overcome this limitation. I'm expecting very healthy sales figures from this product and windows 8 in general.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I think it'll do fine assuming pricing is in the right area. The Zune was about 8 years or more late to the game. the Surface is only 3-4 years late. And one of the strong points I am reading about with the Surface is its legitimate keyboard. Not something big and clunky like what is offered from 3rd party for the iPad.

+1
  6. Galas

Galas

Thanks Received:
    It's an excellent piece of hardware. Like most of Microsoft hardware.
    But ... it runs Windows, and IE.
    No, neither the iPad nor the top of the line Android flavoured tablets (Samsung, Asus, etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSaXj1vIGxo
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They're pre-production models they demo so all the bugs aren't worked out. That's why they have a spare available in case it does decide to act up. Usually the address the problem right after it occurs on stage.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Galas

Galas

Thanks Received:
    I don't really mind what happened on stage... it still runs Win / IE
  9. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    uh according to your system specs you have a system that runs windows?

And the Surface is a PC in tablet form you will be able to choose whatever browser you want.
  10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Thought I read somewhere that the Surface Pro version comes with Google Chrome pre-installed too (Google is as committed to dethroning Apple as Microsoft is).
    remixedcat and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It was axed because it didn't sell well, because nobody liked it. Mobile interfaces have never been a strong area for MS.

The iPhone 4S is way better for most consumers than Win7 handsets. There is a shitload more you can do with it. Sorry, but Win Phone 7 is a piece of locked down crap, just like iOS, but it has even less available for it. How does that not suck exactly?

Now, all that said. I like this product. I would love to have a Pro version. This fits the power user niche quite nicely. I get my toy, but then I also get a work computer when I need it. All I would need to make it perfect is a keyboard dock option that added some extra battery (like the Transformer) and preferably an ethernet port.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    iPhone 4S doesn't have 4G, Lumia 900 does. iPhone 4S does not have an FM tuner, Lumia 900 does. iPhone 4S has a 3.5" screen, Lumida 900 has 4.3". That's just scratching the surface, and oh yeah, it retails for $200 less.

Most people say Windows Phone 7 is much easier to use than iOS too. This is off topic, so I'll stop there.

It is too thin for RJ45 jacks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    And despite that, the Lumia still has WAAAAYYYYYYYY less available for it in terms of apps, peripherals and integration into things like car stereos.

And I was talking about an alternative, slightly larger, keyboard dock with an additional battery, some extra ports and an rj45.
  14. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    What kind of business realllly need tablet over noteboook or ultrabook/thin anyway?
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    They said that about Android Smartphones and they do pretty well against iphones now.
    Previous Windows tablets are a bit meh but this is Microsoft taking it serious now with Windows 8 for ARM with a proper tablet orientated OS.
  16. Galas

Galas

Thanks Received:
    Yeap. I actually put that AFTER posting my previous comment. I knew some MS lover would point it out.

Yes, I Have 1 of 5 PCs running windows at home. It's my gaming rig. Of course MS is way ahead in that department.

Based on my daily basis of multiple OS usage is why I said so.
  17. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Hhhhhmmmmmmm................tablets.....now I get it
  18. pcexpert

pcexpert New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have only one question:
    "Will the good old x86/x64 PC applications, that we have now working on Windows 7 or XP, WORK on Surface with Windows RT ?"

If not then this is just a waste of money and time...
  19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 RT is no different than Windows Phone 7 or iOS in that all applications must be coded for it and are either preinstalled or obtained through Microsoft's Store:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...ndows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

Windows 8 Pro will have all the benefits of Windows 7, at least as far as backwards compatibility and software availablity is concerned.

Said differently, Windows 8 Pro Surface competes with MacBook Air and Windows 8 RT Surface competes with iPad.

Edit: Caveat: Apparently Microsoft ported the .NET Framework to ARM so applications built for .NET could be recompiled (or already compiled for "Any CPU") to work on Windows 8 RT. At least that is my understanding of it.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    This is a great product in concept and a serious contender to replace my business laptop. My next purchase is going to be a tablet of some sort, mainly due to the easy carrying shape they offer plus convenience of use on planes. Laptops are old school and iPads are toys when serious business needs are considered.

I think Microsoft have placed themselves right in the middle of a big customer base.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It's the 1980s all over again! Apple dominated a market, Microsoft introduced a similar product for the business minded, and Microsoft mopped the floor with Apple. XD

The multi-billion dollar question is: does history repeat?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. babash*t

babash*t New Member

Thanks Received:
    This should read 'Microsoft have announced a new way of ripping whatever's left of the average PC user's money'
  23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    show me something like poweramp or moboplayer for windows phone 7....
    show me something like farproc wifi analyzer or amped wireless wifi analytics....
    does it have DSP?
  24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    We've been over this before.

You use niche software and Android was intended for niche users. 99/100 people never use wireless analytical software and Windows is targeted at the 99% that simply want internet access, not the 1% that want more than that.

It has Zune for music and everything that comes out of a phone sounds like shit anyway so DSP is about as useful as putting lipstick on a pig.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Here's how all this is going to work:

Apple will continue to dominate smart phone sales. Android users will eventually begin to leave Android for safer and more reliable Microsoft Phones.

The Microsoft Surface is going to be a flop. People are going to buy a similarly priced laptop instead of this.

At best, the Microsoft Surface will lure people into a Windows Store.