1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces Surface: New Family of PCs for Windows

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 19, 2012.

?

Does this have the potential to beat the iPad?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Don't double post.

2. The fact you keep bringing up laptops vs tablets shows me you are out of the loop. Most reps in the field are in sales. This is why they are IN THE FIELD. They don't need or want a laptop. They do very light data entry for PO's and such and need to be SEAMLESSLY connected to a corporate infrastructure. They also need to present well. This is something ALL tablets do leaps and bounds better then any laptop. If is was about being "cheap" Levono would have been out of business years ago.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  2. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Oh lord help... It has to be customized to a company full of employees who are going to bitch about every little IT thing... Sounds like a disaster to me.

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like every day in the field, to me, now, and since technology first made an appearance in the workplace. Ask any IT Manager. Whether it's limiting client-side features like disk defrag, ability to install new programs, or the like, this is part and parcel of what the industry is all about. But thanks for the conversation, anyway. ;)

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Boom goes the dynamite.

5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Everything that can be done in the field can be done better (at this point) with an iPad at a cheaper price point.

Yes please go about customizing a windows 8 tablet to make it easy to use. I can't wait to see this.

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It's no different than the billions of office boxes already running Windows in office world-wide. That's part of what Microsoft sells to businesses.

I see you do not subscribe to the Microsoft Technet Newsletters then, because this is a recurring theme in those.

7. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Please continue to dance around the topic...

The iOS is easier to use than Windows 8 on any level.

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Uh, here, I've leave you with this(no dancing involved, altohugh, i do love to two-step:laugh:):

and this:

Sure, not everyone like WIndows. But many, in fact, the majority of businesses do. Even secure ones:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/business/

No dancing involved, just real COMPANY statements about everything I have said in previous posts here in this thread. Personally, I don't care what people use, or think. But I won't deny that Microsoft is on to something here.

ensabrenoir and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow... Companies will finally update from Windows XP because Microsoft is releasing a Tablet tablet that uses Windows 8?

10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    That's not what I said. But ok, if that what you want to think I said, please, be my guest. :laugh:

We could have an intelligent discussion, rather than arguing, too, but I guess not that, either, eh?

:toast:

But directly, yes, there have been companies that are looking for exactly that..an EVOLUTION to how they do busines, as long as it remains affordable, and profitable.

Damn, I did too much marketing today, I'm just in that mode. Time to go play some games. :laugh:

11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I think people will buy this product and love it. People have a passion for Microsoft products because it is a Microsoft product (just like anything else).

Now for it being a tool. It certainly is... However, I don't believe it's the best tool in the shed.

Things that I think will kill this tablet no matter how many testimonials and opinions and facts you give me:

• Price
    • Size
    • OS w/ Worse Reviews Vista
    • Being late to the party

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You could be right. Price isn't that big of a deal in volume purchasing(prices are negotible based on volume), size is what was asked for(literally), and OS reviews currently that take WIndows 8 negatively typically aren't done by companies. In fact, I posted three testimonials above, by companies, saying that they liek what Windows 8 has to offer (as did the company I spoke to today).

I mean, I'm not one to tell peopel that if they want to buy something, they are wrong in doing so. There are benefits to be had with Windows 8 that other OSes don't offer without signifigant monetary and time investment. All that Microsfot is trying to do with SUrface, is to take a lot of that confusion about specs, pricing, and features, out of the equation, and offering a platform by which custom solutions can be designed, and then deployed.

The problem with iOS is that it doesn't offer that flexibility, nor does it have the large number of available properly-trained developers and existing applications that can be leveraged like Windows does.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but it plays Angry Birds like a motherf@#ker. Work related intergration? Not so much.

14. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I don't think the buisiness world wants to fork up the money for a new OS, new hardware, a volume of Microsoft Surfaces, and everything that goes along with it just so they can seemlessly use the Microsoft Surface. Firstly, we are nearing an election year, so the buisiness world if going to be cautious of many things in regards to finances. Secondly, the money that goes along with what I previously mentioned. Lastly, you have to take in to consideration Apple's position in the tablet market right now. To say the least, they are completely dominating everything in sight in terms of tablets. If Apple felt the surface was a threat to their buisiness, they would just drop the price of the iPad even further.

It just seems like there is too much against the product right now in terms of the buisiness world and personal world, in my humble opinion.

15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok so they will just buy old laptops without a touch screen and run XP, OR they will buy iPads that don't integrate with their infrastructure and are vastly under powered compared to the Surface? Wow! You are really on to something!

ensabrenoir says thanks.
  16. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    I don't give a shit what the OS is...if the app that is running is not finger friendly, might as well use a Treo. The developers have to think about button placement, what the button next to the other button will do if accidentally pressed, minimizing menu accesses, clarity of the next task...none of this has to do with hardware or os. Besides arm vs x86

17. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    you can still integrate ipads into windows based networks with vmware view and vmware vsphere. many businesses allready have vmware vsphere and remote desktops so adding an ipad to that and using the remote vmware view desktop is easy as installing an app from the app store. the employee can use the same remote desktop on all vmware view supporting devices like android, ios, etc.... and use the same workstation they do at work or whatever.

18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    How about just entire a domain name, username, password, and you're in? VMWare is a bad idea in a business environment--just another thing to go wrong costing money instead of making it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I forsee the biggest customer base for the Surface being State and Federal governments.

20. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    you can install windows 8 on a mac with bootcamp or vmware fusion... vmware fusion can even run bootcamp partitions!

21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    is there an ipad app for that that's as reliable as using vmware??? and as secure??? show us please!

and vmware also scales and has fault tolerance. not just a remote desktop, but a remote desktop that's scalable and fault tolerant. want more RAM? just log into vmware vsphere client and add RAM in a few clicks. You also get way more controls and security then using regular domains. each remote desktop is isolated and dedicated. way more secure then regular user/domains.

webhosts use this all the time.

and vmware is used by tons of companies of all sizes and it's actually more reliable to have a cloud server network, redundant SANs and thin clients then it is to have old school servers.

if you got a cloud then you just add the RAM, cores, etc with the vmware console rather then physically powering off a server and upgrading the RAM. and with vmware you can even upgrade the whole cluster by just adding a machine to it seamlessly. and if one server fails the vm is instantly moved to a different server with no downtime becuase the data is stored on the SAN.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    He's not talking about iPad. He's talking about Win 8 and surface. No matter how you slice it, Win 8 will integrate into the infrastructure of a Windows based work environment better than any other option, period. It's fully native. No need for any third party tools like VMware. VMware is a band aid solution, not native integration.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    this is for businesses allready using vmware or considering moving to cloud based infrastructure.... and the example was in regards to the ipads cant be used for work purposes comment.....

(PLEASE NOTE: this is not the same "cloud" as file storage sites, this is private clouds managed by your company and not an external entity)

24. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Only journalistic buinsesses have invested heavily in iPad. I doubt that is likely to change seeing as they, in particular, spearhead the cult of Apple (and always have).

Most other businesses are sticking with what they know (desktops and laptops). They haven't ventured into tablets/netbooks/ultrabooks yet. They're the masses that will likely buy up Windows 8 Pro in droves.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    iPads can be used for business, and currently are, but they are buggy and don't work nearly as well as a native product, hence companies all but begging for something like Surface.