1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft bares study results on viruses, malware in newly-bought computers

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by micropage7, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I have seen modified versions of windows screw up just because someone ran sfc or windows update and nothing short of a fresh install would fix it. But there are places that a modified OS is usefull like on netbooks where you want the leanest fastest OS.

If you have to use a modified version of windows MODIFY IT YOURSELF! Then you know what changes have been done to the operating system rather than guessing and hoping.

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    true, but that's not an excuse for the behavior. (i am not saying you are excusing the behavior) if you need an operating system Ubuntu or Mint are powerful free alternatives. you can do everything (as you know) on linux that you can on windows except play direct x titles. so if you can afford to buy and play games then you can afford a Windows license key. if you can't even afford games then maybe spend less time on the computer and more time at the office. :pimp:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. jagd

Thanks Received:
    It is BSA what we can expect more ? I wish we really could learn truth ,is it oem BLOATWARE or something else . Btw im also curious how ''name-brand PC '' from a shop can come with trojan /worm etc ?

But i laughed to microsoft ,do you know '' Hide extensions for known file types '' settings ? it is/was one of most used tricks to install viruses/trojans to PCs morons :nutkick:

4. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Maybe if Windows wasn't so easy to break people wouldn't try breaking it. If your neighbor had a glass house, whos house do you think the kids would throw stones at?

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't throw stones at my neighbors glass house because I'm not an asshole?

6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    This simple mindset seems to be forgotten by way too many people these days.

7. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    You probably don't code malware either.

It was a metaphor. Since kids ARE going to throw stones (hack/code malware) then one shouldn't build a glass house (an insecure OS).