1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Certification(s)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by reverze, Apr 10, 2010.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    That's why I'm currently doing both.
    I manage a retail store on top of handling all the large customer networks, servers, systems.

To be honest I still can't wait to get done with school so I can get away from IT work.

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting Niko. I guess IT is not for you then.
    I love my job.
    I'm the entire IT department.
    Building and fixing stuff, answering stupid user questions and teaching them how to do something (for the 10th time), coding, installing network cabling and gear, installing and configuring software. It just suits me perfectly.
    On the side, I now get to take my frustrations out on TPU users. :laugh:

Seriously, for me it just doesn't get any better.

I'm not in it to make big bucks. As long as I can pay my bills and have enough for beer I'm happy. :D

3. reverze

Thanks Received:
    I guess I'm going in the right direction with the manager position then.. :D

4. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    LOL ... yes, to each their own :toast:

My advice to all is do what you love to do as you will be the best that way. The money will come.

reverze says thanks.
  5. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    That's awesome advice Kreij

6. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Oops ... I forgot to add that if you are doing what you love to do, you won't dread getting out of bed and going to work every day. :toast:

7. reverze

Thanks Received:

But right now I'm dreading studying, and it's for a management exam.. :laugh:

8. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Certifications do have some value but not all. But if you take the certifications and exams seriously most of it will be applied in interviews and practically in your job too.

I have few MS certifications and it has helped me in getting the upper hand when companies compare resumes, during interview and final selection.

9. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Nice, thank you for the feedback.

Mind if I ask, which ones and what type of job?

10. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    All M$ SQL DB Admin and Dev related (MCPs)

reverze says thanks.
  11. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. interesting.

I know some SQL, and have had a class on it before. But not well enough. I'm going to have two more coming up next semester.

But it's definitely very related to my major. Maybe something I should definitely look more into..

12. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    One other thing (not exactly Cert related).
    If you see an open position and you do not have all of the qualifications (like the required years of experience or whatever) send them a resumè anyway.
    You may not get a response, but it doesn't hurt.

13. reverze

Thanks Received:

Also a good tip, thanks. :toast:

14. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I would always say its safe to be on the DB side, because you won't see loads of DB software, but there are loads of front end programming tool that I can't keep up with. And I love tweaking DBs and designing optimized DBs after all thats the back bone of most apps and information lives there:D.

15. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I will shoot you a PM then if you don't mind with a few quick questions then.. ;)

16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    most people who have those MCSE and A+ certs are generally idiots. i don't mean to generalize but it has been my experience that they get those certs to make themselves look smart but they have the problem solving ability of that of a slug :eek:

17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    These are usually the ones who throw their A+ certification around like it means their Bill Gates or something. To me, A+ was just a start (along with my other certs). It helped get me my internship at a local hospital, which I chose because it would look best for my resume. I stuck around long enough to get a job, and took it because it would look great on my resume. It's not the end though - no matter what it is, you need to keep developing.

One big thing businesses love is Project Management. There are certs for that as well, but they tend to me more advanced (Six-sigma, etc.).

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Very true. Indian immigrants totally ruined our local IT market. Free market means fresh off the boat with low quality labor for all. Hire two ignorant workers to replace one good experienced one that got paid triple. The immigrants don't know to ask for more just because they came from third world hell. 90% of our local tech jobs are occupied by flown in Indian workers. It would be fine if it was say 50% but it gets really bad when things sell out completely.

It is the nature of globalization. That is what is hurting the USA. Europe protects its job markets more and maintains a better balance in general although it still struggles to find a balance and is different from location to location. The USA used to protect its labor market until the rich got incredibly greedy. Sadly, both major political parties let it happen so there really can't be any finger pointing in that respect. In an unregulated capitalism, it is greed that governs all.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  19. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    what does this have to do with getting certifications?

20. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Of course I think you have stated before that you are libertarian so regulation is the opposite of what you would like. Sorry if it offends you. I know you are mod now so it is possible this will all be deleted. :(

It has to do with the statement I quoted. Most importantly the part where he said:

That is why I also thanked his post and elaborated as to why in my local market it doesn't matter what certs you have but in other markets it may matter. I also explained why. If you feel I was incorrect in my assumptions, or what I gather from the situation please explain. I like to understand other people's perspectives. :)

21. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    obviously where you live will depend on what kinds of IT jobs are available and how they pay. sometimes having certs means something, other times it does not.

migrant labor and the outsourcing of labor really has nothing to do with whether or not your certification means something to a potential employer. the value you can bring to a business is what a good manager looks for. your potential to learn new things and solve complicated problems is where it is at. you have to demonstrate that ability and a cert really does not do that when looking at the big picture. the world has gone global and there is a lot of talent out there willing to work for less than spoiled and entitled americans. protecting our workforce won't do anything but increase the cost of labor thus increasing the cost of goods and making us as a nation less competitive.

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    MCSE stands for "must consult (with) someone else"

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  23. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I can't say for certain but that Degree your going for will be far more important than any certification you will receive Anyone can go get certified but few have the degree's to go along with them..

I'm not sure if you are a member but you may be interested in a ACM membership..They have a really good job board that could give you a far better Idea of what Certs you may want for the Job Area you are looking at..

Not to mention an ACM Student membership gets you some pretty nice MSDN AA perks
    http://www.acm.org/membership

24. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Easy Rhino, are you saying you would gladly take as many pay cuts as management could give you. All just to remain competitive if the country was flooded with people with your skill set even if you worked hard for a given company half your life? Knowing that now you must find a way to provide for your family? Then you would be Atlas, and you would most certainly shrug under the weight of it all. My job is protected as the private corporation I work for is owned by my family. I still care about my fellow man even though I hold a safe and secure position. There is something called a fair wage. Did you know if there was no minimum wage people would be paid even less. Also unions were started to protect our countries workers. Unions also need to be regulated though as they too end up overstepping their bounds like in the case of GM.

If they become citizens it isn't a drain on an economy. Requiring citizenship is the best policy. Canada does it to shield their market and it is working quite well. Sometimes other countries can get certain things right and we can learn from that rather than worshiping the free market. There used to be more nationalistic views in the USA like frowning upon such practices as outsourcing to save money by hiring people that didn't have citizenship. Aside from say the railroad industry where it was actually necessary. India is very nationalistic which is good IMO. If the tables were turned I do not believe they would allow it TBH. But that would be a good thing while showing a strength of character on their part. Also if the quality of labor was better it wouldn't be so bad. Most of their best techies must be staying in India. The problem roots from bringing the labor in until they get together and protest the low wages and then they send them back. It isn't the fault of the Indians. They are doing what they should by taking the opportunity when it is given to them. I have a problem with the screening process basically. It is the fault of the management. Bad management plagues so many companies.

Nike treats many third world countries badly that are far poorer than India. They set up shop until the people request better benefits like cleaner running water and better sewage infrastructure for their families to survive. So when they leave there is a mass starvation lowering the population to the same if not smaller than when Nike set up the sweatshops. That is the fault of immoral management that answers to no regulation.

Of course there is also bad regulation like how people use the EU to force out competition but that would take 20 pages to fully explain. :(

I am saying good regulation would make it easier for native citizens to find jobs in a line of work they have been trained for while keeping the money in the economy. Therefore it wouldn't be drained so easily. Potentially effecting the OPs job market. Yes the certs are needed but not just the certs by themselves.
    Back on topic:
    Getting a proper accredited degree clears you for higher pay regardless. Most management positions require a bachelors or masters anyway. I believe the OP said he was getting a four year degree already though.

25. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Yes, four year in Information Systems Management and International Business.