1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft code name "Vienna"

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jan 21, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    The operating system that will be released from Microsoft after Vista has a new code name. Although Microsoft is still trying to successfully release Vista later this year, the company has re-named the operating system that will be released after Vista. Vienna, once called Blackcomb, is the new code name for the operating system that will obviously be released after Vista but does not have a certain release date. The Vista update promises to have better search, a new graphics engine and other improved features. However, there are several features that were pulled out of Vista that could conceivably become part of Vienna, most notably a new file storing mechanism known as WinFS according to this post.

Source: Dailytech
  2. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    WinFS might still be in Vista (hopefully)
  3. boruvka

boruvka New Member

Thanks Received:
    IT news service heise.de pointed out the funny coincidence that Vienna (the city) is at the forefront of open source software embracers and will probably never use Vienna (the OS) herself. Vienna reportedly uses a special Linux distribution, named accordingly of course (Wienux).
  4. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ROFLMAO :roll:

that's just too damn much

hahahahahahahaha :roll:

god i love these funny ironic twists...
  5. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure microsoft has confirmed it will NOT be in vista. (esp, seeing as beta 2 doesn't even hint at it)
  6. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    They said it wouldnt be in a few months ago, but rumors have it WinFS has made good progress and may make it into the final version. Hopefully in at least Vista Pro :toast:
  7. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    \\meh.. I dont want winfs... it just leaves another obstacle for linux to get working.. :roll: ntfs works for me..

unless they perfect EFI support... that'll be just dandy then... hehe
  8. triangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

The new WinFS file system seems to be quite and interesting one. IF you are also interested I can recommend you to give a look at this source, there si useful data on the subject there
    http://www.ntfs.com/