1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft ends support for Windows XP Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Oct 9, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    To help clear the deck for Windows Vista, Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP SP1. There is very little reason to have SP1, considering that several security issues were patched with SP2. While Microsoft guarantees support of an operating system for five years, they only support service packs for 12 months after the next service pack is released. SP1 was released in September 2002, and SP2 was released in September 2004.

Source: CNET
  2. bornfree New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO they should pass laws that require all software companies to provide proper tech support and free security updates for a minimum of 10 years. Obviously it doesn't cost a dime to support software that has no problems. The reason MICROSUCKS and other software companies blatantly abuse consumers by dropping product support, is to force consumers to update to the latest and greatest POS the companies are selling this week. Vista is a perfect example. If MICROSUCKS can't secure Windoze how on earth do they expect to secure Vista?

I haven't read a single review of Vista that suggested it was even remotely close to being suitable for release but that won't stop MICROSUCKS from pumping it out the door just as fast as they can. With all the known problems in Vista you can imagine how many unknown problems exist. Vista is a good means to cause financial hardship to the entire world with the exception being MICROSUCKS who will reap windfall profits from their over-priced defective products.
  3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Support cost lots of money, 10 years is a long long time. You should be forced to upgrade so company's don't have to look back at older technologies. I believe people should not be running windows 95 and windows 98, but millions of people still are. This holds the hole indrustys back as a hole to move forward, and Vista has been in the works for a long time. It was completely rewritten, and its ready to be released. I will be buying a copy when it is released to keep up with the times.
  4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    :lol:

10 years support. Not many whole or computer parts make it that long. Mebey we should make hardware companies support for 10 years too eh?

I liked XP, but only after alot of builds came and went, then SP2 was a huge jump ahead for those who know, cared, and were legal. I laugh at peeps calling me complaining about the compy the local idiot built after SP2 wrecked his hacked copies.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I still have SP1, since whenever I try to install SP2, in corrupts my whole system...wierd huh? Damn it...I'm pissed.
  6. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    a friend of mine had that issue as well. He said it was something to do with XP and the AMD 64 both doing some kind of error checking which interfered with each other (real techy answer huh :laugh: ) Apparently, if you do a format and clean install then run SP2 it works - not ideal, but it did work for him. Obviously, google this issue for further info, I know its really vague.............
  7. Track

Track New Member

Thanks Received:
    No "support"? What does that mean?
    My SP1 hasnt crashed yet.
  8. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well... I'd like to direct everyone with their views to take a look at this thread. Many of the arguments from then still stand now :D
  9. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So Microsoft should still have tech support for DOS and Windows 3.x? That's a little overkill isn't it?
  10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    you kidding those were the best microsoft os's
  11. NympH New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only stupid people still run SP1!
  12. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to disable NX from the bios however, some AMD MB's don't have such a feature. NX or XD from the bios helps enable DEP in SP2 thus causing problems for some who have no bios option to disable it all together. photo

explanation here

Here is what some of the bios show No execute
    [​IMG]
    Execute disable function

[​IMG]
    Execute Disable B...

[​IMG]
    No Execute Memory

[​IMG]
    NX Technology
  13. Shyska New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone explain me what are they saying by that? Is it that Microsoft won't give me my legit support just because SP2 isn't compatible with some of my hardware?
  14. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Well, I'd agree on DOS @ its last iteration from MS in version 6.22: Solid as IRON!

:)

* Personally though, I think that 2000/XP/Server 2003, as of their latest patchwork as of today 10/10/2006 are JUST as solid, & around 100x more capable...

APK
  15. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    in a word

Yes
  16. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have run SP2 on may different computers, including an old P3 500MHz Compaq, and currently on a P3 800MHz machne for my kids and never had an issue. I have installed it on 20 or so other PC's I have build of all configurations, from Socket A to S478, S939, Slot 1, Socket 370, and now Socket 775. If you have yet to get SP2 to function on your machine, it might be time for a Dell. Otherwise, you sdhould have gotten support to fix the issues before MS gave up on you.
  17. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Now that isn't very nice :p.
  18. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Oh no people with hacked copys of XP are going to be pissed off.
  19. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    why? :confused:
  20. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i'm running xp pro xp2 on my P3 933mhz machine now :D no problems at all
  21. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean SP2 not XP2?