1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft May Bring Back The Start Button

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by micropage7, May 6, 2013.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    One of the most noticeable changes Microsoft made to the Windows operating system in the latest version, Windows 8, was the absence of the Start button. For years, the Start button has been a constant fixture of the Windows desktop environment. Traditionally, the Start button enabled the users to see the Start menu which features the programs and applications they could start up and use. If you were missing the Start button, you might not have to wait too long for it to return to the Windows OS.

[​IMG]

There are strong rumors that Microsoft is looking to add the Start button to the upcoming Windows 8.1. Previously known as Windows Blue, version 8.1 is going to take their operating system to the next level. The addition of the Start button probably means that Microsoft has given into public demand and is bringing it back. However, that is where the good news ends. Microsoft is only considering bring back the Start button but not in its full functionality.

The Start button would only be used for accessing the Start Screen. This means that you won’t be able to view the elaborate Start menu characteristic of previous Windows’ versions. So, Windows might bring the Start button back but not the entire experience associated with it. However, this is hardly a cause for concern. After all, Windows users won’t change their operating systems just because of a Start Button.

When Microsoft first announced that the traditional Start button had been done away with, it did cause some controversy. The Start button made using Windows much easier, especially for new users. Its absence on the Windows 8 platform increased the effort a user had to put in to learn how to work. The Windows flag replaced the Start button. Coming to think of it, the new rumored Start button is going to perform the same function as the flag does, i.e. giving you access to the Start screen.

Originally, before Windows 8 was launched, Microsoft had said that the company had used feedback gathered from the Customer Experience Improvement Program when deciding to remove the Start button. The reversal in stance also seems to be on the back of user feedback. You would still have to wait until the first public preview of Windows 8.1 is revealed later in the year. Since Windows 8.1 is going to hit the markets before the end of the year, it shouldn’t be long before this news is confirmed

http://techbeat.com/2013/05/microsoft-may-bring-back-the-start-button/

2. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Tom's has tested a version of the new build and there is no start button or option to activate it. The start button is not needed anymore in my opinion.

3. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    What drives me crazy is the fullscreen only metro apps.

radusorin says thanks.
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    the button didnt take up the whole screen and gave you complete access to all programs. Start screen is very intrusive. Plus flat pastels is yuk. I liked how W7 is and id rather keep that across the OS spectrum. MS tried doing too much at once and it is a complete and utter mess of a failure. Plus opening only 4 screens at a time or full screen only programs. this isnt windows anymore this is just like iOS or Droid/Mobile apps.

radusorin says thanks.
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    personally i prefer if MS using dual option, like touch screen version and normal start button

6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Actually they have claimed 7% tablet share and haven't even been pushing that hard until recently.

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    IDK MS should of just left W7 alone and implemented a touch interface and called the OS W7.5

8. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    In the meantime if anyone is using win 8 you can use classicshell .

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    OMG how can a company be so fucking stupid, just give us the frigging option to pick what we want including the new idea..

That's as hard as it needs to be and not all the BS. I bet they would not be screwing around like this if they were running short on money but i bet they wounder why they are losing money but they surly will not blame them self's and there stupid and forceful idea's.

What a bunch of pricks.

radusorin and [Ion] say thanks.
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Vista made them lose money thats why they focused so hard to make 7 almost perfect

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't care. My Windows 8 has a start button. If I didn't want to do the small task of putting it there I would of stuck to Windows 7.

95Viper says thanks.
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well some of the 7 changes lost them money too. You learn how to use a OS they they block the way you used to do some thing or\and rename it..

For example there was no need to remove and rename nearly every thing in the control panel after XP.. Making people lost on what they trying to find don't help sales.

They had it right in XP layout wise more or less then they fuck it up with vista which is still fucked up.

13. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    The Win7 start button or just that blue circle with the windows flag is fine by me. The organization in Win7 is better. I do not plan on going to win8 otherwise.

Much of M$ OSes are good-bad-good-bad-good-bad... It's a dumb cycle.

They failed at these OSes in the past. Why oh why do they still keep doing this rather than expound on a likable OS that people love?

The bad ones ... Win-1, Win-2, 98, CE, ME, NT, 2000, Vista, Win8,
    The good ones ... Win-2.x, Win-3.11, 95, 98SE, XP (Pro), Win7,

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    the categories deal has been around since XP, i just put the control panel in classic view to see everything.

15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    They still moved shit.. Like they moved all the stuff that was under display. Right click explore was all so removed from the recycle bin although i am sure you can put it back if i could be assed too. Then they renamed shit too.

Everyone to their own i guess

16. Kamrooz New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they actually gave you the option to choose I would jump onto the bandwagon. Now I know I will eventually have to when DX12 comes out and it's only available on the latest Win OS. But god do I hate the metro UI with a passion....

There are solutions though to getting the start button back...But I don't want to use free or purchased software to bring back a feature that should of never have been fully removed to begin with...Silly microsoft =*(...

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    atleast it wasnt too drastic of a change like 8 is- i got told by a Uverse customer i just did a install for saying that MS told him that w8 might not be compatible with the 2Wire Modem-Router(Residential Gateway). I honestly feel that MS dont want to blame their own wireless drivers and controls for the problems. I recall several reports of printers not working right in W8 either. I remember back in the day games supporting multiple video cards not just nvidia or ATI but S3, 3DFX etc.

Honestly MS needs better testers.

remixedcat says thanks.
  18. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I think it's great to reinvent things.. But once you find the best way to do something.. You should not totally F it up, by adding a bunch of BS, just to make an OS feel like a tablet..
    Dedicated PC users do not care about the crap.. It's crap..
    Which is why win 8 failed.. If they had even remotely listened to consumers about if, they wouldn't of been so dumb to release it as it was..

19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Nothing is compatible with 2wire

20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    But still they are changing stuff that don't need to be changed and without giving the costumer the option of the past OS's is just plain ignorant.

Better testers ?, surly you mean better listeners. To me this BS it's like if they know they are wrong but don't want to admit it.

They can come out with 100 different start buttons or not one at all as long as i can make it how i want it which is best for me.

Maybe they could of made it optional on install or 1st startup never stopped them in the passed popping other crap up on 1st time boot at least this be more useful.

21. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
  22. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    very Good point

Yep, been using ClassicShell since day one with zero problems - took 5 minutes to download, install, and configure - runs seamlessly in the background as if part of Windows. And yet people who should have no trouble at all installing a simple utility resist the move to Windows 8, as if it's as bad as M.E. or Vista, and as a consequence lose the real benefits and improvements afforded by the new OS. I only see the "Start Screen" for 1 second, each time I boot, and once having set my default programs/file associations, I never have to leave the Desktop, where I have control over everything just as in Win7.
    They could have easily avoided all this controversy and sold the crap out of Win8 simply by offering a choice during install to lose the whole "Metro" interface or keep it, satisfying desktop users and tablet users alike. I imagine very few desktop PC users are buying Apps from the Windows Store, since they can find almost any conceivable program for free, and it doesn't have to run in full screen (what brainiac came up with this idea? - probably some kid who never had a desktop PC).

23. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Should be in Software.

Anyway, whatevs. I sort of want them to not get it back because it makes people angry.

24. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Beat me to it, installed that about a week after i got 8. Its fantastic. I like it more than any standard start buton menu in older OS's. Fully customisable, then just uninstall every stupid little app rubbish and stop windows automatically re-installing them if you add another account with this and its as if nothing has ever happened. I was so impressed with the StartisBack i even paid for it after the trial. Best £2 i ever spent. Now when i boot no dam metro, all my files open up in their proper programes instead of the dam stupid app equivalents and for them who still want the metro you can change the shortcut to bring it up or even add a button in the start menu.

Windows 8 start button how it should have been :)

25. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Installed 8 recently on one of my systems to play with & test.
    And, came to the conclusion, I hated not having a Start button.
    I could still do everything I did before;however, it felt odd and wanted the Start button back.
    So, I tried a few and ended up using Start Menu 8 by Iobit... it is free and you can customize it.
    I am still giving it run to see if there is anything else I dislike or like better.