1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft... oh how I love thee!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Lazzer408, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Ok note to self... Don't bump the escape key half way through the story. :banghead: Anyone know how to disable the escape key? (rips it off) Solving the problem.

So here's the (shorter) story again... I have a laptop with XP home that had a virus curupt the OS, did a repair, went to activate and?... fail. Re-enter the key on the bottom of the laptop and?...fail. Call MS activation support. After telling them the 54 digit code 4 times, they said the product ID gives them an error but the COA (3 times) is ok. Well that's a relief. I figured this would be done in no time. I'd just have to enter the confirmation ID and be on my way. Well, they couldn't give me one and transfered me to another level of support. After FINALLY getting the second oobla-boobla to get the numbers right (3 times), he tells me the same story as the first guy and transfers me again. On to the 3rd level of support, this guy gets the numbers right after the second try, but again, the product ID is invalid. He wanted to transfer me to anothet (5th) support "team" who would be charging me $99. I told him it's not going to happen and to fix it. After arguing for about 15min, he said he'd email me the steps to try and fix the problem. Keep ya posted. ;)

At this point in time I have 5 days left to get the customers crap off the laptop without having to remove the drive and do it that way. Still, the customer is left with a broken OS...I mean, "properly functioning OS" that's disabled due to MS copy protection schemes.

The EASY solution is just download a cracked copy of XP and be done with it. I wonder how much money Microsoft looses paying activation support vs. the amount of money lost do to copywtire infringement. :confused: Sorry MS. You MADE me do it. You shot your own foot. :D
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Oh microsoft. $99 is the same price as a new copy of win 7/8
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I got the email. They just sent me to the Microsoft website explaining how to activate Windows. -.-" Idiots. This is funny though.

"Product activation reduces a form of software piracy that is known as "casual copying". Casual copying is the sharing and installation of software that is not in accordance with the software's end-use license agreement (EULA)."

I'm forced to resort to "casual copying" to fix the machine because product activation is apperently malfunctioning and they won't fix it. How ironic. It's just easier though. Too bad this old Toshiba won't run Win7 very well.
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    What about windows 8. It is lower on the specs than 7. It uses .8gb ram in idle. 1.2gb during general use. I am on it right now with my laptop. I keep seeing sales bringing an oem key down to $75
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Laptop only has 1gb ddr and a P4. XP is using 190mb atm.
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Linux?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    He's an old guy who plays old Sierra games and astrology software.
  8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    crack it.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Did you use the phonetical alphabet (Alpha, Beta, Charlie etc)? Because without that it's almost impossible to get it right over the phone.

And they can't just fix it anyway I think. Activation is an automated process. Didn't the automated phone activation system work?
  10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    ^that +1

Otherwise someone used the oem disc and code.... for another computer.
  11. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    crack it!!! 99bucks for xp LOL
    talk about tryin to flog a dead horse
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Is it an OEM XP ? I'm suprized they tried to help you at all. You say its a Toshiba. Call them they might help. They may be able to get you the original XP disk for a small fee. HP charges $14

Also with XP you need the exact version of XP to be able to activate it with the serial number. Not just the type (home, Pro) but the version. What disk did you use, you may want to try another.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Yes I used the phonetic alphabet. The automated system didnt work.

Yes it's OEM.

Yes.
  14. Frick

Thanks Received:
    In those circumstances they can generate new keys for you. At least we did that in sweden, but we didn't want people to know it. :laugh:
  15. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't be the first time I've heard about something being better in a foreign country. :toast:
  16. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft support is crappy .
  17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Its OEM, Microsoft has no responsibility to support it. See if you can beg Toshiba for a key
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Nice and convenient huh.

And hate to to think how many people went out to find out how much Win 7\8 costs and got it for a system that might not be able to run it.. And i bet that phone call is not conveniently recorded when some one tries to sue them.

Our next door neighbor just hates the newer OS even more so because there is no support for some of the hardware he uses..

And to those who say he\they should buy new hardware why the fuck should they it works should be able to use it still.
  19. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    And Linux will support it. Go figure
  20. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Is it MS or the hardware vendors fault it doesn't work? I'm not blaiming MS for any of that, it's not feasible (imo) to maintain compatibility with everything ever made.
  21. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I'll gladly blame MS for anything related to the OS that's not functioning. MonopolySoft is in bed with hardware manufacturers who seek "MS Certification". All the major hardware manufacturers want that to gain consumer trust. The "electronic infrastructure" of a computer hasn't changed since 1985 so there's no reason old hardware (forgetting ISA) shouldn't work unless it's through planned obsolescence for profits. Software is the easiest way to accomplish that. Keep telling people it's for the best and they'll keep updating even though the version before was quite capable of performing the tasks. I guess the users are partly to blame. You know the ones... The people who jumped on Ivybridge but all they do is play on Facebook and watch Youtube videos. I shouldn't leave them out of the equation. :laugh:
  22. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Printer drivers in Win7 take about 400MBs iirc. People always bitch about how bloated windows is ("why cant i use my 20gb drive for os it worked with win98!?????!??!"), imagine what it would be like to add/update functions if they were to support everything from 1990 and onward. Imagine all the stupid legacy code they would have to update.

Modern stuff might be certified, but that is no reason old stuff would be so.

EDIT: BTW, do you blame them for your AV software not working? What if you install a toolbar that's so badly coded it breaks your browser? Is that MSs fault too? Too many times I've talked to people whining about something not working. I tell them to remove that RegistryUltraBoosterBackupHyperAccelerator and stop running it, everything works fine again and it still is a Windows problem? I really don't understand your reasoning.
  23. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    what has that got to do with the registration code not working?
  24. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Nothing, we just got derailed. :p
  25. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    That is odd, usually if you re install a fresh OEM edition of XP sp X where X is the sp the key was generated for usually printed on the COA, it works fine.
    The only time i had an issue like that was in a similar situation where sp1 keys didn't work for sp2 installs, I was trying to save time :rolleyes:.
    You may have to activate it over the phone by punching in the keys to the automated service.
    Lazzer408 says thanks.