1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Sends Letter to Yahoo!

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It would seem that Microsoft has grown a little impatient over its takeover bid for Yahoo! earlier this year and has now sent a letter to the company persuading it to sit down and negotiate a deal:

Source: Microsoft
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And why is such a thing out in the public? So Yahoo!'s shareholders see this and pressurise it, push it for the takeover. Such as it is, it's just a neatly-packaged hostile takeover.
  3. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was waiting for this to crop up since yesterday when I read it on MSN. I certainly hope Yahoo dies willingly. I like their services, but their software is so buggy I generally only use it when I have to; it'll be nice to see all these things integrated into Windows Live, yet sad to see one of the oldest web portals go... I know MS will leave it all alone for a while, but sometime in the future they may just decide it'll be much easier to manage a single version of each service and a single web portal.
  4. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Yahoo stocks fell yesterday after they (Yahoo) announced getting this letter. I wonder why Yahoo just don't float a loan and buy back their stocks to hold off MS... Then again, I bet they already concidered that or it's just not possible to do.
  5. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    This makes me frown upon microsoft. Yahoo! is a legendary company, been there since the beginning of the WWW, and microsoft has the cojones to make a move like this. Its like the US telling a country, "we are bigger than you, give us your land or we will attack". I do understand that it is better for the employees and stockholders, but do they have to make it so hostile? i hope that yahoo pulls a fast one on them, and makes them fall on their face.
  6. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Part of me wants to see it too, but another part want to see MS triumph... I feel very bipolar over the whole thing, lol.
  7. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the world of business, your company may be 'legendary' but if its slowly been sinking in value and bleeding market share to more aggressive rivals for the past few years something like this is bound to happen. In short microsoft is making the best decision for microsoft and Yahoo! is resisting their downfall.
  8. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup
  9. robodude666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hell, if Yahoo! doesn't want to be bought out by Microsoft then Microsoft shouldn't force them to be sold. The letter is total BS in my opinion. Microsoft, or any company no matter how powerful, should never say "We offered them a lot of money, but they didn't accept. wtf? We want to buy you now!"

If you want to buy some random person's McLaren SLR for $20,000 and he doesn't want to sell it then you have no deal. Don't try to force it.

I want Google to buy Yahoo! right now for half of what Microsoft offered just to piss Microsoft off and end this whole Yahoo! stuff.
    pentastar111, WarEagleAU and ManofGod say thanks.
  10. ManofGod

Thanks Received:
    LOL, even with a merger, Google will still be lightyears ahead for Microsoft. The one thing microsoft has yet to understand is that google is better for one primary reason, they have a better search engine and product that does what it is supposed to do. :laugh:

Joe
  11. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Haha so true. Business economics are so evil and twisted, sometimes you got to love it. I just dont see why MS wants them so bad. Its like they are a crackhead looking for a crackpipe and some crack! HAHA :roll:
  12. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I just worry that if this happens that Microsoft will turn Yahoo's services into something horrible like Microsoft's past/current services (in particular search/email). Maybe Microsoft should put a little more effort into their own products/services.
  13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    So wait a moment if this goes through, does this mean Microsoft will now have a controlling peice of how I get my Yahoo! DSL?!
  14. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem I see with this whole situation is that everyone thinks MS is trying to be nice - I don't think so; everyone has just forgotten how to interpret MS' statments (remember, although they use english, MS seems to speak a different language than everyone else). Here, let me translate the letter:

BumbRush and JoJoe say thanks.
  15. Eric3988

Eric3988 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ROFL, wow that was funny as hell! But, I think you hit the nail on the head. "We are Microsoft, we will purchase your company, prepare to sell your stock. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your company will adapt to service our own. Resistance is futile." or even more old school, "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO MICROSOFT".
  16. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    From what ive read ms has given yahoo 3 weeks to make a deal. Its seems there very pushy on this but id say google should stay away from yahoo the got yt and should be happy with that.
  17. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    im all for an MS take over, it means my 3 shares of yahoo are worth a whole lot more, not saying ill get rich, but i am saying the stock i bought on my 18th birthday in 2005 is loosing value and i spent money on it. Id very much like a company such as MS with assests to buy Yahoo.
  18. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    this fits MS well

19. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wrong analogy. MS offered WAAAAAY more than yahoo is worth.

I hope MS buys them out. Then google won't have such a stranglehold on the market and there'll be some fierce competition. If you think google having a monopoly on the internet is good, please switch out of your liberal arts courses and take some econ or business classes...
  20. BrankoJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yahoo knows that they have to sell to someone, and they want to be sold. They only played game to get better share price.
  21. hacker111

hacker111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I saw in the paper...that Microsoft has put up a $44 billion bid just for yahoo...the first offer was $4.4 billion..What the hell is yahoo doing? $44 billion for the company? I dont know how mch they make ect..but this seems likea hell of agood deal!:slap:
  22. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    The aquisition is probably a good idea for Yahoo!, they have been having to lay off, and their competition with Google is destroying them. I need no "welcome" into the world of business, what I said prior was simply emotion, not stated on any fact. Ive been using yahoo! for years, my website is hosted through Yahoo!, and thus far I have been happy with their product. If microsoft can upgrade what they have already done, instead of changing it completely, that would be great for me, otherwise I might have to choose another host.

The reason they wont take that mega generous offer is because the guys making the decision to say no to it, are the same people who will be demoted or lose their job after the company has been taken over, especially now that they have just pissed off the giant. They are on the highhorse with their big heads, and refuse to be removed, even if it is bad for their 14,000 employees.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
    AsRock says thanks.
  23. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Used Yahoo many years now all though i have a MSN account and a GMail too i don't use the later 2.

Can Google acutaly buy them ? would that make them own to much of the market ?..

MS buys Yahoo i'll look else were for a e-mail account..
  24. Darkrealms

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree, I looked else were not long after MS took over hotmail : (
  25. BumbRush New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont see google as evil or a monopoly, other options excist, and MS sucks, they will WILL ruin YIM.

msn/wlm sucks, its buggy, unreliable, oh yeah and did i mention its UNRELIABLE? their networks been booting people for months now, hell i like MANY others tryed WLM and ended up unable to log back in after the network kicked me, this lasted 3 days, i removed WLM and went back to pidgin and bam works.........

yahoo on the other hand NEVER boots me, and even in beta yahoo9 is more stable and its file send ALWASE works....