1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Tech Net Subscribers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by DanishDevil, Jul 27, 2009.

1. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    I m in the same boat with no parts,Have my old cosmos case with the mobo and mem and cpu but no hard drive or cd/dvd rom.Gonna try Win8 beta this summer in her:)

Also do we tech net basic subscribers get the card and credentials that come in the mail,Or has MS stopped this .I have had mine for like a month now and no envelope yet from MS saying my ID # and stuff.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone had Microsoft call them to renew their subscription?
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Nope, they sent me an e-mail, 'cause I set up my account for e-mail notifications.:)

Yes, got mine, about, 2 weeks after renewing. No card, just a statement, with account info.
  4. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    They called me OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, until I finally answered them and got an answer, and told them that if I wanted to renew, I would f*cking call them. Never heard from them again, and my keys still work ;)
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I got a call from them, just one polite conversation. They didn't have any really good offers, so I said it wasn't worth renewing until they released the next Windows or something.
  6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    They always hung up after I picked up. By the time I actually got somebody on the other end of the line, it had been the 14th call in 3 days. Hence the less polite response.
  7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Was it Germany that called you? I've only ever had excellent customer service from them.
  8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the US, so I doubt Germany would call me...
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    What sort of accent did they have when they called you then?
  10. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    They call me daily, and I don't answer...it's kind of a little game now ;)

It's a California area code and the message is always from a nice lady w/ no accent.

Maybe they're smart enough *not* to outsource their renewal calls?
  11. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    It was some asian dude. I honestly don't recall. He didn't say much, I did most of the talking :p
  12. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Same here......MS also has this service outsourced overseas. I was hesitant at first and then I Google'd the name of the company and it came up as legit and affiliated with MS;)
  13. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if all of the subscribers have checked lately, but the new Windows Home Server 2011 is now available for download.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  14. twilyth Guest

I was looking for Visual Basic and found out that MS has a free version, so I got that. But in the process, I wondered if I could get Visual Studio as part of my technet subscription. It doesn't seem to be listed anywhere for either the standard or professional subscription levels.

Is this right or did I miss something. If it is right, what other products does MS exclude from the technet subscriptions. I'm really curious.

I think it's strange because VS doesn't really cost that much more that it wouldn't be included just based on price. And if they exclude that, what else am I missing?
  15. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You have to have one of the listed items below with a MSDN sub. :toast:

Visual Studio 2010 Professional (x86) - DVD (English)

Available to Levels: VS Pro with MSDN Premium (Empower); Developer AA; Designer AA; VS Pro with MSDN (Retail); VS Premium with MSDN (MPN); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (MPN); MSDN Universal (VL); BizSpark Admin; BizSpark; VS Pro with MSDN Embedded (Retail); WebsiteSpark Admin; WebsiteSpark; VS Pro with MSDN Embedded (VL); VS Ultimate with MSDN (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (VL); VS Pro with MSDN (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (Retail); VS Ultimate with MSDN (Retail); MSDN for Action Pack; Expression Professional (Retail); Expression Professional (VL); VS Ultimate with MSDN (MPN); MSDN AA Institution; VS Ultimate with MSDN (NFR FTE);

EDIT: OPps i just notice i was looking at the service pack 1 download.. it looks like you'd have to get at least visual studio 2010 pro with msdn for $1087.99 at newegg.. (Not just MSDN OS) or $710 for the software with out the MSDN sub. I had 08.. I'm thinking hard about this sub as well... I have vb.net 2010 express....
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    There's no Microsoft Expression Stuio fr instance. Kind of a letdown to me (if that was included I would probably have a sub now), bur you're not supposed to do real development with a Technet sub and a web design tool is probably nothing but that..
  17. twilyth Guest

Thanks guys. Yeah, I went into the VS dl section and looked at the subscription requirements. It looks like you only get it if you already have some version of VS or some other special products I don't recognize.

Honestly though, VB 2010 Express should be more than adequate, and from a quick look at the licensing agreement, it seems that you can redistribute some components if you develop something.

I had used an early version of VB (3 or 4 I think) and I liked it, but I probably did more actual coding with Crystal Reports. That was a long time ago though so I'm going through a really nice tutorial on VB now. It's on another rig at the moment and I haven't sync'd bookmarks yet so I don't have it right now (plus I'm on Chrome at the moment).
  18. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, bro VB 2010 Express is enough for most people. You can down load it and use it for 30 or 60 days.. I can't remember right off the top of my head, but all you have to do after that time has passed is register it and it's yours with unlimited use. :rockout:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. chuchnit

chuchnit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just picked up my technet sub today. :)
  20. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    After letting my subscription expire months ago, MS contacted me out of the blue with a new offer, so I rejoined with a standard subscription.
  21. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    What was the offer if you don't mind me asking?
  22. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    any new coupon codes for new subscriptions, anybody used it and working?
  23. twilyth Guest

bump
  24. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Did you get a new set of keys? If yes, how many? I got 10, but MS has lowered these to just 5 now, so I'm wondering if they're still doing that?
  25. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Frick says thanks.