1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to charge for Updates

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    So, it has been revealed to me in class that Microsoft is in the process of switching to a business model where they will make us pay a monthly fee for Windows and Microsoft Products updates. Supposedly it is ~$10 / month for Micorosoft's programming failures and alpha tests of bug patches they call updates. If this happens and they force you to pay for it, bye bye Windows.
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think the word missing here is "supposedly". Until this gets official and gets reported about by the big ones there is nothing to discuss but FUD imo.

BTW, you're confusing "charging for updates" with "paid service". The two is quite different.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Maybe for optional updates but not security updates. Not releasing security updates for free is foolish and Microsoft isn't foolish.
    remixedcat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. syeef

Thanks Received:
    what class?
  5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I don't think microsoft would add this nail.. and charge you for security updates. If anything they are gearing there product around the way apple does OSX. I can see them moving to that model. Do away with a new OS every 3 years and start charging for incremental updates. Instead of charging $300+ up front for a new version of Windows.. Do like Apple, and charge around $100(not actual.. I've not own a new apple OSX machine in awhile) for an update. It sounds good on paper and it would be good for people that buy OEM machines, but for us it won't be as friendly adding as much hardware and reformating as often as we do with our machines.

I see this as Microsoft just fishing to see there customers reaction.
    Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I think they have been more like $20-30 the last couple of years.. IIRC.
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  7. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    The new Office 365 Home Premium is $10 a month. Maybe the person that told you about the $10 a month thing was mixed up about what MS was charging $10 a month for.
  8. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Yea, the last update I bought was for my G5, and it was Leopard for around $110 - $130 in 07.. :toast: I wonder what made them drop there price? Do they offer an update every quarter now?

If Microsoft moves to this model then I can only see them doing it for the current price / numberofupdates = 3 years.. So, $300/12=$25 this is based on every quarter for 3 years... So yea, I can see 20-30 for a quarterly update. The only thing is can MS handle those kinds of updates? I think right now the only thing we know for sure, is that we'll all have to reboot after the update.. hehehe
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Charging for security updates == lawsuits, guaranteed exile from EU market, exodus to MacOSX and Ubuntu.
    FordGT90Concept and _JP_ say thanks.
  10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Nope, yearly. Lion was $29.99 at realse, Mountain Lion $19.99.
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  11. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Interesting.. :toast: I wonder how MS will handle this model.. Hmm maybe I'm not thinking about it correctly.. MS sales more OEM licenses then retail.. So based on yearly OEM pricing, Home ($90/3=$30), Pro ($130/3=$43.33). :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    You don't really need any updates at all
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Not going to happen for critical updates. It would make there systems venerable. Remember your just licensing the system so they want you to get updates for security. They took a lot of heat for XP and its problems with security
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    updates are like condoms, sometimes you don't need em but its good to use em anyway.
  15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I really can't tell if people are trolling or stupid anymore. :ohwell:
  16. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Not trying to be negative nancy here but I have proven some of my professors wrong on certain subjects when I was still in college. Just because they are your teacher doesnt mean they are always right. I am not saying be a dick about it but always question the questionable. I do not see this happening anytime soon. Most microsoft updates are bug and security fixes. Not feature add ons.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  17. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Of course not, because Windows is a perfect OS, there are no security flaws in it or bugs in the code. Oh wait...
    Huh, never saw it that way...
  18. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Not to say "Aleksander Dishnica" is, but that's usually what someone with a cracked OS says.. I don't agree with every update(preferably the ones that don't work), but to say you don't need any is foolish...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you ever question ANYTHING you hear man? Honest question, not trolling.
  20. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Businesses would be forced to stick with windows, then lawsuits.

Either OP or OP's source misconstrued the Office 365 information.

Security updates are absolutely essential, especially to businesses.
  21. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe MS can really expect to move an OS from a product to a service. Why, the word is diversity.

MS sells to OEMs. They sell to consumers. They sell to government and industry. On paper, a $20 charge per quarter would be great for MS. The bigger problem is that it is infeasible. Government does not update quickly. Long standing services do not change their underlying software every quarter. The logistics of selling to those bodies (the bulk of MS's clients are business), while forcing updates via a service, is insane.

Why does Apple work like this? 100% control of the development environment, including hardware. They write 1 driver for each part, and that exact part might be in half their product line. Such tight controls allow them to offer improvement that can't possibly damage reverse compatibility. MS has to contend with a diverse hardware ecosystem, and a much more diverse software system.

Office as a service, definitely. MS will make insane amounts of money by charging people a constant lower price, while obfuscating the actual cost. You have to try hard to break a software like Office (it runs on the windows underpinnings, independent of hardware). It's easier to break an OS.
  22. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    In my Windows Server 2008 Class. And Mailman, I don't believe everything I hear that is why i made the post to see what the reaction is and whether or not anyone else has heard similar.
    I tend to take most of what my professors say with a grain of salt. Example, one of my professors is a Cisco instructor so, if they say Cisco is the best, that may be but may not be as well. My Windows Server instructor would eat what ever came out of the sewage line from Microsoft if it meant he would get a raise or something. I'm just bouncing what I hear in class against the established professionals(mostly) here. But I would not put anything past Steve Ballmer that crazy man.
  23. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    I think your prof is terribly misinformed. This was kind of rumored when people starting asking about Windows Blue, which was rumored to be a bunch of updates you need to pay for but that isn't actually the case, it's more like a service pack but supposedly more than that.

EDIT:

Also I highly doubt Microsoft would charge for updates, ever. It doesn't make sense.
  24. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    neither does the Metro interface....:D
  25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ...and if they do, they'll inform people about it before they sell it.

Also, never trust college professors. Trust community college teachers even less.