1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft trains kids

Discussion in 'Programming & Webmastering' started by Aleksander, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I am watching lately that Microsoft is training little kids on how to program (on youtube or even on TV from states around the world).
    This might be a genius step for some, but sincerely it seems more offending and irritating to me.
    It seems to me that Microsoft is using little kids and not every kid,
    but the kids of some daddy's who have a lot of money or power at hand.
    A true programmer, never does any courses, learns from teachers at school by getting
    good grades, hardly shows to public or something to do with 'commercial' ways.
    100% of the kids, which is ridiculous, show to public using TV.
    What do you think about this?
  2. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    its fine for me as long as the kids are actually learning
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Any links in regards to your statements?

I don't think anyone has the right to deny any child education but it would be ridiculous to see Microsoft offering free training to the kids who can afford it and not to those who can't.
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Seen the OP and thought.....

[​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Pakistani Girl - World's Youngest ARCast Progr...

There are much more kids than her, even here where I live, but it seems super fake. Is like those kids who are training, are showing on Tv.
    It is normal to learn, it is not that irritating, but the idea that they show on Tv or they make like those kids are: 'omg such a genius'
    In the video you see that those guys act like she is going to meet Bill Gates "OMG".
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  7. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    There are more bro, it is one i was watching lately.
    Search by yourself. I am not against them learning,
    I am against this fake showing them on TV,
    which is like using them from Microsoft or the name of Bill Gates

And i was watching a case 10mins back in my country about a boy, this is why i opened this thread.
    I post the video if the TV puts it on youtube some other day.

09 means it has 3 years going on like this, which is even worse
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had been trained to program at that age!
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I don't see the problem. You see shows about talented kids playing football or playing instruments or the like, why not programming? And if it makes people look up what C# is I'm all for it. I kinda wish there were something like this today, but for TV.
  10. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Me too!, now i'm old and starting to forget things:laugh:

:(
  11. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Why is this an issue?

The NBA, NFL, and countless other sports organizations tell children they will be sports stars. They aim directly towards kids and deploy entire market campaigns at children.

Many other companies strategically ploy the child market, who cares that Microsoft is doing it?

While it is ethically debatable it's not mind control. The best thing to come of this should be the parents step up and teach their children. Employing knowledge is much more powerful over marketing strategies by large corporations.
  12. corehazard New Member

Thanks Received:
    This must be Microsoft's own version and competition to some of the coder dojos which focus on web development that came up very recently. And as long they're free its a great way to help kids decide their career paths.

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/12/05/2128232/coderdojo-inspires-coding-in-kids-as-young-as-seven

Sidenote: I'm a senior in high school and got to go to a free web programming class (fortunately it was not grade) and it was much harder than Algebra II was for me. I learned that programming isn't for me.
  13. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no such thing as a "true programmer", there are only programmers.
    Like in any career, someone who is dedicated and excited about what they are doing will not pass up a chance to learn even if means they have to tow the line for "X" company for awhile. In the end, when all comes out in the wash, they will have more experience and be better at their chosen field.

MS should promote this kind of thing as it gets people involved, interested and it shows people that there are many avenues in which they can potentially participate. Not everyone will be accepted, but MS has been known to fund a lot of learning opportunities where everyone can at least can try.

MS gives away all the programming tools that you need to be a coder. All of them ... and more. You can say that this is to "hook" people into using MS products, and it may very well be true, but no other company has taken the millions of dollars they have spent on the development of their coding products and made them available in the free versions like MS.

On top of that, you can get support for the free products in the MS forums from MS MVP and even the development team members on occasion.

Bash MS for some things all you want, but to criticize them for trying to advance education, in exchange for a little PR, seems quite disingenuous to me.

Just my 2 cents.
  14. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    bah! teaching kids to program in visual basic is child abuse!!!!
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    They can learn Python etc. and GTK+ or QT later. It is still a good starting point I suppose.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I would rather have em programming then out on the streets doing hood rat stuff! or makin babies
  17. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    You can't really bash Microsoft as a whole, as there are so many moving parts that have nothing to do with one another other than the name. Maybe Alexander was talking about the disparity between how the rich and the poor are treated in terms of learning opportunities, and Microsoft is perpetuating this. It makes sense if you compare this to something of the likes of Raspberry Pi, a fully functioning Linux PC costing $25($35) that is meant as a teaching tool for kids.

Edit: it seems the girl in the video you linked passed away this january: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arfa_Karim
    Chevalr1c, Aleksander and Frick say thanks.
  18. Frick

Thanks Received:
  19. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    an epileptic seizure apparently. I wonder if the seizure had anything to do with her learning abilities. I am sure they have looked into this, maybe this tells us that young prodigies are biologically at risk of seizures and other mental conditions.
  20. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Farewell young lady... :´´´´´-(
  21. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It seems that if you're awesome at something you suck at other things.
  22. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    awww that poor girl.... that's tragic.... so much potential :(
  23. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps we see things differently. I see Microsoft promoting those who excel as example of what others may strive to be. There will always be those who are born into abject poverty and will have greater hurdles to overcome, some seemingly impossible, to achieve some measure of success. But if no one presents to them a vision and the possibility of an opportunity, they may never develop one and will have no one to give them hope.
    It is not our lot in life that determines our future, but our dreams and our will to succeed.
    There are thousand of stories of people who would not accept their lot in life and went on to become famous pioneers of many industries.

That is indeed sad. Not because she was special, but because every life is precious.

One could argue that the above paragraph describes a PR move from BG and Microsoft.
    Many of you commented that the girl's death was sad, but did not lament the passing of thousands of other people every day. We are only confronted with a small portion of the world's troubles and we all deal with them as best we can. We cannot save the world, but when we are presented with an individual case, we CAN make a difference ... just like Mr. Gates tried to do. For that I give him credit.

You will view things a little differently when you reach my age. ;)
    God bless you all.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  24. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    In every programming book you read it clearly states:
    "You don't have to be a genius to be a programmer. Even the best programmers learned the hard way"

I remember when i was 4 years old, using paint, creating folders, changing icons of the folders, entering in windows 3.1 from MS-DOS without even know how to read, imagine in english. It is all learned, in a way or another, has nothing to do with Microsoft training, even if it would be true.

Think for a moment, why it is microsoft products? Why .net and not C++ or Java or whatever that has nothing to do with it
  25. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Ok, the video is out, but it is in albanian and the guy suffers from a hole in the heart, but it is out of danger for now
    http://www.tvklan.al/emisioni.php?id=5441#

There is no english version of the video for the genius guy, from 'microsoft'