1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft unveils "Windows 8"

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MxPhenom 216, Jun 2, 2011.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Source

I hope they only use this OS UI for tablet and mobile Phones. I doubt microsoft will completely alienate the market with a mobile phone and tablet UI.
    Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    If you watch the video, it still has a Windows 7-like interface for "legacy" apps like Excel and such. A commenter put it well on engadget. People who use computers to "consume" will enjoy the Metro UI. People who produce (most of us) will still be using the "legacy" interface.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If that's going to be the OS GUI on desktops too, I can see why Balmer said it's their riskiest OS yet.

I'm not against change that's for the better, so I will hold off on any comments until I can get my hands on it.
    LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
  4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    same but from the looks there going for an os ment for everything and less PC focused but i dont see WIndows 8 giving us anything better then windows 7 at least when a PC is concerned.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    When do the beta's come out?

This is something I want to get used to
  6. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    A lot of vendors are pushing touch screen home PCs.
    For the average user who has a touch screen at home and is into more of a social experience on their desktop, this will probably shine.

For gamers, overclockers and application users, it would probably more of a hinderance which would explain the "legacy" use option.
  7. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    wtf is this, apple?

EDIT: okay, i got ahead of myself on this one but really, there are tons of eye-candy and stuff, but where are genuine performance upgrades, there's no excuse for current ram/disk usage and i don't see this speeding things up either.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    And then they'll do to the "legacy" UI like they did with Windows XP (phased out Windows 9x/Windows 2000 UI) and Windows 7 (phase out Windows XP UI). In other words, 90%+ of customers are going to hate Windows all over again. Microsoft has to learn to not f*** with features that aren't broke. If they don't learn, they will perish.
    Phxprovost, remixedcat and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    If you've used windows mobile 7, you'll know things like this work surprisingly well, add on some sort of taskbar for the multitasking you get on a real pc and It'll be good, remember theres a 2year gap between the tablet and pc version so this is probably the watered down tablet and phone version anyway

This OS is the tablet version,designed for touchscreens the real one comes 2 years later
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  10. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    @D4S4 : You updated your post about 2 seconds before I nuked it. :D

They are presenting a differnt UI, no more, no less. The detail will come out later.

Microsoft does legacy UI so people can choose when the new OS comes out.
    Interestingly, once people get used to the new UI they use it.
    Windows 7 UI is far superior to 95,2000 and XP and I, for one, don't want them to go back.
    They may not have kept all their lofty promises, but if they do not try to innovate they will die.
    They will not survive by sitting on their hands.

Just my opinion.
    Conti027 says thanks.
  11. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    which is fine Kreij but you have to remember this was being hailed as an OS for gamers and what not as well, im a gamer and i dont want touch screens touch screens suck for gaming... hmm see what i did thar? lol

we all have to wait and see but if windows 8 wants to be more like Apple and i wanted a more apple like interface id just fucking buy apple herp derp lol
    remixedcat says thanks.
  12. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    true, but i bet you'd hate to use this new ui with a mouse. and all the cod maniacs would find it insulting to their skillz. :laugh:

anyhow, the main thing that pisses me off is that 8 is probably going to be even slower and more resource hungry to give you some questionably useful features, this has to end. i want an os that doesn't take a minute or two to get it's shit together in the page file after i exit a game that eats up all of my ram, that doesn't get stuck if the dvd drive is having trouble reading scratched media and generally running less useless resident processes.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    remixedcat says thanks.
  13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    A lot of people disagree with you (including me) and the option to go back no longer exists. In other words, people are required to tolerate something they dispise or change to a different OS. During Vista/7 years, Microsoft lost about 3-4% of their marketshare to Mac OS X. That translates to millions of customers because of a UI a lot of people don't like. If Microsoft makes that same mistake again, the company is clearly ran by fools and will go the way of the dodo bird sooner or later. Many people have forgiven Microsoft for the first screw up but Microsoft shouldn't expect them to be forgiving again.

This fact is mind boggling. Mac OS X should want to be like Windows because Windows has dominated the market for 30 years changing little. When Windows tries to be like Mac OS X, they bleed customers to Mac OS X. It is a strategy that is doomed to failure yet, it appears that they still pursue it. Mind...boggling.
    Phxprovost and remixedcat say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    also how much you wanna bet there gonna make options harder to find and more asinine to use... i bet the Legacy UI gets buried in some obscur location so even if you want to use it finding it at first for most users will be a painstaking lesson in relearning how microsoft organizes there shit lol
    hellrazor and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  15. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Source?

You mean like GFW was touted as their mighty push to support the PC platform? :shadedshu

I'm not defending MS's new OS, I'm just saying let's wait and see before trashing it.
  16. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Unity on Gnome is a bit more laptop and tablet friendly. Coincidentally i don't like it i like KDE better as its more traditional.
    That windows 8 seems more like a shell on top of windows you can see him slide to a section that has the taskbar (that looks more like traditional windows).

EDIT: I dont see how anyone can trash anything where there is little information on it and its not even available yet but hey i don't jump to conclusions so maybe i don't know what im talking about.
  17. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I imagine it's highly likely they'd of lost more market share if the UI had remained the same. How is that number even attributed to the UI? If they lost market share I'd say it was from all the bad buzz from curmudgeony people unwilling to adapt to any change. Clients still drive me nuts with the whole caching thing "I need more ram!!". No, you don't, jackass. "I can't find the system information?!?!" how about effin' trying. You didn't know where it was when you started using xp either.
  18. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    or just have positive thinking windows 8 will have personalization. if you using tablet you could take it, it you run touch screen or desktop you can take the other one. since win xp, microsoft like to push apperance pretty much beside its features
  19. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    Can't wait to play with it.
  20. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I keep feeling more and more like switching everything to a CLI.......
  21. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    It's a shell slapped on Windows 7. Should have forked it instead.
    So Windows tablets will still be two-pounders with 3 hours of battery life.
    Move along, nothing to see here.
  22. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:

Exactly.

This release has been mentioned on these forums before. It's Win 7 for tablets. Very good effort though.

http://www.techpowerup.com/141584/Microsoft-Expediting-Windows-8-Tablet-Launch-to-January-2012.html
  23. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
  24. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I hold judgement until M$ actually releases something.

Current rumors suggest everything from no "legacy support," to a 128 bit OS (yeah, they haven't even really gotten out of 32). Rumors of something from M$ generally snowball into insanity well before the product is released.

Speaking as someone who liked longhorn, before he experienced the fail that was vista, M$ can turn into crap or gold relatively easy. Given that they're introducing windows 8 specific ARM processors (read, mobile processors), this is likely not a full desktop roll-out.

In two years I can see a completely new OS. For the time being, M$ can't even remove the remnants of XP. Switching to yet another desktop OS doesn't make fiscal sense.

Here's hoping that M$ actually learned from their most recent failures, and will release two decent OSs in a row. A little bit of competition from the fruit and Linux hopefully is pushing them towards something amazing.
  25. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    off topic but WTF is this shit? >>>[​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU