1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft unveils "Windows 8"

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MxPhenom 216, Jun 2, 2011.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it will be a problem in Windows 8 because Microsoft is leaving the option to go back to the Windows 7 interface. The concern lies in future releases of Windows beyond 8. As Microsoft killed the "classic start menu" in Windows 7, it is likely to kill the Windows 7 interface (barely acceptable as is) in Windows 9 or soon after. That's what irks me. Microsoft never listens.

I predict Windows 8 is going to receive a very negative reception if it so much as defaults to the tablet layout on non-touchpad devices--just as Windows Vista did before it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, exercise is a bitch at times.

They did not fail as they all had very good sales figures. It is why MSI, Sony, Asus, Dell, etc. continues providing the OPTION <- (this word is important). And why HP is currently advertising their All-in-one PC in a TV commercial.

Microsoft didn't say they were forcing anything on anyone. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from making this an OPTION that you turn on and off. I don't see any reason why a single OS could not switch between UI's (in this case Aero and Metro). To be plain, the Windows Media Center does not use the same UI as the rest of Windows 7.

Microsoft is just taking time to build an OPTIONAL UI that is better suited and more focused on touch screen and tablet use. Two area's the default Win7 UI seems a bit unwieldy.

And the phrase is "Case in point".

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I like 7 more than the previous iterations of the GUI and I'm far more productive there than in XP/Vista with classic whatever enabled. With that said, I think MS will eventually move from the current GUI. It's called progression. And I honestly don't think they will be so stupid as to make a desktop OS exactly the same as a tablet OS without any possibilites to change it. It might not be exactly like what it is now, but well things change. Why change what is not broken you ask? We might not think it's broken until we tried new things. As I said above, I like Windows 7 a lot more than what it looked like before and it's to early if to say I will like or dislike future GUI's.

To whom?

Most people I've met like this new GUI more than classic.

4. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Everyone that despised Vista. They added some sparkle (a different name and minor tweaks to the interface) and pretended it was something brand new. There's very little to like and a lot to hate.

Everyone I've encountered doesn't care for Windows Vista/7 but they tolerate it because it still better than the alternatives (Mac OS X and *nix) and they must (XP support is wanning).

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i really wish game studios would develop popular games for *nix. blah.

6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    well hello their im said windows fan i had 95 me xp vista(basic) then win7 ulty and its STILL possible to get a CMD screen up and use the all new start button lmao in the same way as you used too its just more configurable(but the effin same just round),
    the bare truth is they have allways improved it even with vista(imho it was mostly driver issues anyway) yet they have not taken anything away id ever use, and i mess more then most.
    i am just seeing a new and improved media center slapped into the start menu lmao so its all you see at load id wager the start menu button will still bring up the same start menu.

too early to say not really that different its just media center on crack(you can load progs/games str8 from the old one;) media center i mean,not that i would )

More than 25k PPD
  7. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    look up the patato famine, homogonous populations are dangerous and susceptible to failure.

Try to get drivers and software for anything but linux,mac,windows. When I mean choice I mean at least 10 or more solid Operating systems with a diverse population of applications, kind of how phones are now. The carriers and manufacturers keep the ecosystem diverse, which is a very good thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
  8. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    its spelt potato actually
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    When i was using XP, i used a vista pc and liked it so much i upgraded, now i'm on vista i used a windows 7 pc and didn't think it was worth the money - windows 8 will only be a success if people use it and think 'you know, i actually quite like this'

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    Red_Machine says thanks.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Same here ... up until they actually used it instead of whining. What is so bad about it exactly?

And Vista was despised yes, but often unfairly so, and often by people who did not know what to do when their icons didn't look the same and by people who had never actually used it.

10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    +1. Mojave Experiment, anyone?

11. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    huh? you need to explain your thoughts, not throw around random words and expect other people to do the research for you. explain to me what you mean by demand for operating systems. also, this is the second time im asking you to use the multiquote button....

12. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    If there's no new Directx, then idc...lol

13. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why should I waste my time explaining the problems with large homogonous populations ? The answer is self evident. Its a single point of fialure. I'd take a good bet a very cleverly written worm,virus,trojan if let propogate with a long enough time frame before it became active could eat the whole windows universe of operating system in one fell swoop.

That is to say the patato blight of ireland is a great example of why overdepndance on one resource is bad.

the microsoft monopoly on operating systems is just that, is a single resource failure point.

14. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    by your definitions of idiocy wouldnt the x86 archetectural dependency of the world also be something awaiting a viralising as a single resource failure point as might be humans over dependancy on walking and generally using our legs, some things you just gota do

More than 25k PPD
  15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with a lot of what has been said here, and I'm a little reserved about the GUI as well (at least if it goes to PC) . . .

. . . but, I see a potential marketing maneuver on MS' part, here. Considering they've been fighting a steadily growing competitor (Mac), and a 3rd party market that's continuing to grow (linux), going with a mobile-style GUI would make WIN's new OS more "accessible" to the common user . . .

. . . considering the common user has become more familiar with their phone and/or tablet now, and has become an "expert" at using mobile devices (although they still can't figure out how to keep their PC's software and OS updated properly) - presenting an OS with a "familiar" GUI will be targeting users who are heavily dependant on their mobile devices by saying "hey! Our new OS is as easy to use as your phone!! It's as stable as your mobile device, too!!" It'd be easier to sway customers to your product if they're approaching it brand new as being easy to learn, use and navigate.

Sadly, that's one of the issue we currently see in the OS market - WIN has had a stigma attached to it that it's antique, archaic, difficult to use and navigate, prone to bugs and crashes, and vulnerable to security intrusions - this stigma wasn't helped at all by Mac's marketing campaigns the last few years, either, which used these stigmas to claim Macs were better than "PCs" (completely forgetting to mention that Macs are PCs by definition as well).

16. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    in fact it is in regards to x86..however if your leg fails there are other methods by which to move around, crawling for instance.

17. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    right, but how does one "demand" choice in this regards? you going to force developers to create a bunch of different operating systems or are you going to allow operating system to grow organically in the market. you are creating a doomsday scenario that has never happened in the tech world. company resources would be better allocated to improving on their code and interfaces.

18. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    fuck a new Directx. I think its fucking ridiculous how quick dx11 got here. It's even more pathetic that there's barely any games coded in dx11 native, when its fucking backwards compatible to dx9:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.

Personally, i consider M$ a company that is incredibly intelligent yet amazingly stupid at the same time. I sometimes think the people leading M$'s "forward progression" live in the corporate building they work in, otherwise they'd realize that anymore dx's is a waste of time.

It's pretty sad, but i really do believe that not a single video game company cares what M$ releases. It's been since Dx9 that a Dx was actually used and exploited decently. Now every dam game is so compatible across the market, it actually sucks bc it doesn't take advantage of various specific platforms' potential. Crysis 2 being the prime example recently...it was expected to kickass, instead it sucks ass as its worse than the first.

More OT: Another OS release in the near future would be almost as stupid as another dx version. They may add some great features, but who's going to use them within the first year? less than 10% of their current market more than likely. I personally would want my consumer base to be spread across 4 diff OS's if i owned M$. It almost seems like M$ just want to say "Look what we made/can do!" but don't care that they're losing touch with their consumer base.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    what does taters have to do with an operating system?

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    android, iOS, Symbian? even less choices there.

21. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    A_ump: Blane xp cavemen and consoles for that.

22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The start menu is huge, images instead of text when applications are stacked is inefficient productivity wise, sorting alphabetically and horizontally with no option to change it in the control panel, no way to customize searches (limit search location, hidden/unhidden files, search system files, etc.), forcing developers to adopt the Game Explorer which is implemented in a way that no one wants to use it (errors easily and overcomplicates adding games--sometimes impossible to remove without 3rd party software/registry hacks), the inability to see all options under the start programs menu at once--it packs it all into a tiny window, and have you ever tried to find a specific setting in Windows 7/Vista? Even when XP came out, I never found myself searching for a setting for 15 minutes because it is where you expect it to be. Not under a tiny link, under a tiny, link, under an inobvious link, under a tiny link, etc. It seems they heavily nested all the major settings so people would give up looking for them before they are found.

That's only the tip of the iceberg of UI issues that are a permanent staple of Windows 7 (no option to go back).

I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my main system for at least a year now. I still prefer the interface of Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition on my server with classic start menu enabled.

That was an advertising campaign. It was unscientific (only compared people's opinion of the OS before and after viewing a video) and no one "reviewed" actually used the OS. Not to mention, they "cherry-picked" the positive reviews (namely, people that are easily impressed). As they say, "never judge a book by its cover."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    Frick and remixedcat say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I love my server 2008 R1 UI. it's perfect for me. Even rockin the steelflash 100K final theme....

metro is the new xp luna UI.

24. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    No. It's separate shell. It's not a theme. This is like Litestep and it will run along side explorer.exe.

25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    yeah I knew that. I just was saying how I love my interface the way it is LOL.