1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Oct 17, 2013.

1. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    No, it is simply not business, or corporate, Windows 8 is great for interacting with people. For use in advertising and marketing. But the devices that grab customer attention and that executives cary to schedule their meetings are not the back bone of any industries. There is infrastructure that must be maintained. And those functions/tasks simply won't and CAN'T move as fast, mission critical tasks are not redesigned just because they can be. They are redesigned when they must be.

P.S. You don't get to change the scope of the conversation by saying 'barely any market share in mobile' the conversation is not about mobile.

Well, Dos had a GUI that was ditched after 3.1. People were okey with that.

Those are all POS (Point of Service, not the other acronym...) uses, interacting with consumers, marketing etc. Change is fast in those areas. Change is not so fast for people maintaining very old architecture and large large databases.
  2. loop New Member

Thanks Received:
    Basically, it's difficult to understand why some people behave like they re CEO of microsoft or software sellers, and have the stand to tease others who may not like new software from microsoft, really then i cant have any other opinion except how wonderful the new windows are?
    Ok i m not newbie i set up computers from 1995 with custom cooling solutions (watercooling. phase change etc) because my favorite hobby is oc'ing. i ve paid lots of money to this market just fr hobby and my opinion is windows 8 and 8.1 is a shit software designed for tablets and phones, i' m using them only for being up to date but (thanks to iobit trick) with proper start button, not with metro shit, its idiotic unuseful and I DONT WANNA use this (metro) because its only a marketing SHIT
    p.s. English is not my speaking language, so my apologize for some mistakes
  3. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    This.

How does "Metro" improve my clients' access to their RDP connections to a server running custom software? How does it improve my accountant clients' ability to run Peachtree, Quickbooks, Excel, Email? Database management? Improve support for legacy printers?

Exactly. Not moving any more of our clients that way as long as we can. Win 7 for us, thanks.
    stinger608 says thanks.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The problem with everything, as I see it, isn't that the opinions differ, it's that one group see the other group as morons, and everyone has so strong feelings about it. This goes for you too it seems ("metro shit", "marketing shit", "shit software" etc etc). The other problem is that MS is dedicated to it (I don't have a problem with that, but people get so angry about it, it's a very diversifieng topic) Windows Everywhere, and it'll be Metroish.
    qubit says thanks.
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    So true, your whole post, but especially the highlighted bit. I guess it's the core of being opinionated and can apply to any controversial subject.

Talking generally, not just Windows 8, I think what really fuels it, is that each side thinks they're "obviously :rolleyes: " right, whether that's true or not. For the side that's actually right though, they're justified in responding like that. But which side is it...? Or sometimes neither is right, or it's a grey area and they've both got a point to a degree...
  6. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much for doing this.

The only issue I've had so far is after the 8.1 update the system was confused which monitor was which. Driver reinstall fixed that. So far about the only thing I've noticed is the so called start button and the less space on my ssd.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    That's why i would never try MS OS Upgrade. Sure they got better but you should understand there is a chance you might have to change your plans for the day.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Run the disk cleaner and remove the older installation. You'll gain back all your space and then some.
  9. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I installed mine over the top of win 7 with a full install disc from windows, worked flawlessly. Also my install is using only 31gb with some progs installed.
  10. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8.1 seems to be blasting MBRs (standard MS procedure nowadays, I don't know why anyone wouldn't expect it), so make sure you know how to fix things when you can't boot into Linux or BSD or plan9 or whatever you've got running.
  11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    It's also made by asshats skygo won't work until next month now due to my new pc (not just 8.1 upgraded) and avast got removed during 8.1 update unknown to me so its developed an infection ,,,asss's tomorrow for this shit.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Does this support start 8 or other taskbar/start menu integrations?
  13. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Check it out ;)
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    Just got the free upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro x64.

Since I had a license for StartIsBack for regular Windows 8, I just had to download the new version designed for Win 8.1, and my license worked, so all is well.
  15. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Why is it called Metro? Just makes me think of the trains. Everybody knows, in a zombie apocalypse puplic transport it where it starts.

StartIsBack, turn of all the metro stuff sliding and poping up at me left right and center, default all my programes to 'traditonal' programmes, now im happy. Under the irritating GUI i think theres some nice improvements. Win8 handled fitting a new MOBO without unsitalling or reinstalling drivers manualy brilliantly, out of all the OS's ive used theyve all fallen over or taken a grave performance hit from doing that. Plus i do like the faster booting times.
  16. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
  17. Deadlyraver

Thanks Received:
    Had an installation problem where the hard drive activity stops for two hours....

What to do?
  18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Is your hard drive dying by chance?
  19. X800

X800

Thanks Received:
    Hey when you all did get the uppdate to windows shop did you get allso a new key ?
    Win 8 pro dont work on 8.1 or do miss something here.
  20. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    The same key should work. It does for me atleast.
  21. X800

X800

Thanks Received:
    My key dont work. Whell i contacted microsoft support so lets see what happens .I bought mine when they had the campain on win 8 .
  22. Raovac

Raovac

Thanks Received:
    Stupid Microsoft account crap making my computer feel like a fricken Xbox.
    Reset.........
    Back to 8.0.
  23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    You have the option of creating a local account, of course.
  24. Raovac

Raovac

Thanks Received:
    Local meaning the good old user name?
    If so, that is what I have, my name, then a password.
    Then it asks me for a Microsoft account and password.
    No way I'm signing into windows with any kind of email account.
  25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I just made a new one(email) just for win 8.