1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Windows Home Server Corrupts Files

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Dec 28, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has warned Windows Home Server users not to edit files stored on their backup systems with several of its programs, including Vista Photo Gallery and Office's OneNote and Outlook, as well as files generated by popular finance software such as Quicken and QuickBooks. "When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses Windows Home Server, the files may become corrupted when you save them to the home server," Microsoft said in a support document posted last week. The document went on to list the software, which includes Windows Vista Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, OneNote 2003, OneNote 2007, Outlook 2007, Microsoft Money 2007 and SyncToy 2.0 Beta. Others programs, however, may also corrupt files stored on a home server powered by Microsoft's operating system. "Additionally, there have been customer reports of issues with Torrent applications, with Intuit Quicken and with QuickBooks program files," the document said. "Until an update for Windows Home Server is available, we recommend that [you] do not use the programs that are listed to save or to edit program-specific files that are stored on a Windows Home Server-based system."

Source: Computerworld
  2. JoJoe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Im installing Windows Home Server right now, as Im reading this...
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm still so unsure what home servers goal is...
  4. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Oh well good thing then im not using windows home server then. And Jojoe good luck :D
  5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    To dominate the world? And decimate your files?

Actually to aid in the move to thin cllients. But MS ia a couple years too soon.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    bah just get the free download of server 08 its good till april which by then im sure it will be "fixed" to no longer have that time limit
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Never too soon. Like most technologies, I'm ready well before it happens ;)

Picture: 1 Box, 2 Users. The software being used allowed for up to 5 users I believe.

Attached Files:

8. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, Jizzler! That's cool! I've been trying to figure out how I can use 2 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mice on 1 PC.
  9. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    For that demo I was using BeTwin 2000/XP: http://www.thinsoftinc.com/

Not bad for a couple 'terminals' off your main box. Wouldn't let me run two 3D apps at once, but I was only using one video card. Never got around to trying two video cards.

Matrox, 2X, and many others have hardware thin clients and software that'll allow more connections and distance.

Would be nice if Home Server is MS's beginning of better multi-user solutions.