1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft won't release Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Protagonist, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Source techspot http://www.techspot.com/news/50599-microsoft-wont-release-service-pack-2-for-windows-7.html

The engineering team responsible for building and releasing service packs has reportedly been told there won’t be another service pack for Windows 7. It marks the first time in multiple releases that Microsoft won’t be issuing a second major update.

If you recall, Windows XP received three service packs during its run while Vista scored two major bundles. It’s unclear at this hour why Microsoft isn’t planning a second service pack but it doesn’t take a genius to make an educated guess.

Windows 7 was due for a second service pack any day now. Service packs are reportedly a pain for Microsoft to produce because they require a lot of time and effort to build. With Windows 8 primed for release, it seems as though Microsoft wanted to have everyone working on the new OS rather than lingering around on an older project.

The decision to move forward makes sense but Windows 7 faithful likely won’t be amused. Service packs combine dozens, or even hundreds of individual updates into a single package that’s easy to install. Having to apply each update individually is a time-consuming affair that typically requires multiple reboots and administrator attention.

Some also believe that the decision to skip a second service pack could be a subtle hint to push users towards adopting Windows 8 earlier than they might otherwise have.

Redmond will likely continue to issue individual updates on a regular basis as usual until the operating system reaches end-of-life status.

2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

More likely they just want their team to focus more on W8 and later OS.

3. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stinks.

XP went to 3 service packs but 2K3 only went to 2 service packs. Each OS reinstall requires hundreds of updates. It's not a laughing matter. Now the same story with W7. Leaving "loyal" users (I could loyal as dedicated users, not just pay-for-upgrade-at-each-point-release) hanging out dry.

Rolling up updates that have already been in the market for 12 months (ie any problems should have been fixed already) is not really that resource intensive for MS. But not rolling them up... and making millions of users reinstalling have to go through painful update process... if millions of times x hours of effort x 100MB's of downloads. It all adds up. MS is "not green".

And no, don't make your users have to set up their own WSUS update server (which, BTW, even I tried because of W2K3. WSUS is horribly flaky, and often fails even on bare metal installs).

4. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't talking about updates. SP isn't just a bunch of updates in one pack. It requires a lot of testing and it's time consuming, I think they don't want to spend their time on this.

Downloading and installing service pack is also a painful process for many people and many times it just screws everything.

SP was always a bad idea, it makes os get heavier and heavier. Linux and OSX never had them.
    MS should have changed that. I'm unsure if they ever will do it but that would be the right thing. Plus, they should've reduced upgrade price then everyone would be happier.

erocker says thanks.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is the equivilent of a Windows 7 Service Pack 2--it just ain't free. XD

lilhasselhoffer and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Meh. More of a reason not to upgrade to Win 8. Downgrading will mean having to install all those updates on my Win 7 again. :rolleyes:

7. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think we are splitting hairs on this. SP should be just a roll up of updates. A case in point is W2K and W2K3. SP1 and SP2 are just update roll ups. For "new functionality" there is W2K3 R2 which was a pay-for upgrade. I remember with XP there were additional "features" on SP2 in addition to updates. So it was more than a service pack, it was a feature set upgrade too.

"Service Pack" should just be a roll up of service updates.
    "Feature Pack" should be the upgrades (the "R2" or "SE" or whatever) of new features/function. This can be free or pay-for.

Now, on this definition, I think we would all agree that MS should continue to produce SP while the OS is actively being sold + 3 years. Feature packs can stop whenever MS wants.

++++++++++++

We all agree that having to update our OS is a PITA. Doesnt matter what OS we are talking about... but I guess we do need to do it ;)

8. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    If you can afford it, Windows 8 is a great upgrade. It takes some time to get used to the new interface, but after only a week of use I find that I can access what I need in half the time it took in Windows 7. And the properly hardware accelerated 2D animations aren't bad to look at either.

9. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I absolutely agree. Microsoft (or any company for that matter) should worry about making the latest product the best it can be instead of worrying about implementing new features in legacy products.

10. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    don't care at all as I will get win8 with my next pc

11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Fix the W8 interface then ill consider upgrading after SP1 launches for it

12. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Smells pretty fishy to me, but as long as updates and hotfixes come out at the same rate, I suppose I have no real issue with it.

13. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Have you actually used Windows 8 for the desktop yet? What is broken with it? Please don't knock it unless you've used it. I had qualms about its effects on productivity as well when I first installed but I now see the reason why it was done and I actually like the changes.

14. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is a flawed attempt to re-invent the wheel, it's a touch screen OS, directed at the mouse and keyboard crowd, and I really don't much care for it, Windows 7 works just fine there is no reason for Windows 8 to exist. And no more SP's is just another strike against Windows 8.

Guitarrassdeamor says thanks.
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I have used it FYI, the interface is very intrusive

16. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    This :toast:

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Just my opinion. But, it seems that way if the story is true.

MS and the Windows 8 adopters are, IMO, taking a BORG like approach to this new (cough cough... cut down, touch screened, improved :rolleyes:) Windows OS.
    It is a "get ur done" OS for them.
    Seems they are thinking that, we (normal everyday users, not speaking of those who gotta have the newest, techies, geeks, enthusiasts, gamers, etc.) need to keep up with the other A & A oses.

Again my opinion, I have tried Win 8 and don't like the new OS; I may get it, if/when, I get a device that is designed for it... that I like/want.
    However, 'til then, Microsoft... Give Me My Service Packs!
    And, get off the "Resistance is Futile" attitude!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    OEMs are criticising MS, most people on tech sites too. the More forcing MS tries to do the less people will conform, they will stick with XP, Vista, 7 and not upgrade to 8. Thus MS loses more market share in endusers and stocks

19. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    All resources on W8 which is already launched... why? I guess it is as buggy as hell and they need the "SP team" to work on racing out W8 SP1 asap. What it tells me is that we should wait until W8 SP1 is out before considering "upgrading".

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  20. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Really let me guess The No START MENU crowd.....Get over it please,Microsoft is not going to bring back a 20 year old interface just for you.
    Use Windows 7 then just look for the IT update cd`s on Microsoft downloads,That ISO file will have all the updates past SP1 for you,Why would Microsoft release a service pack 2 for Win7....XP madness ring a bell??? That os will go under soon and Why would MS support Win7 past it`s prime.Prime IE 5 years is plenty for Vista,Win7 for you guys.

Microsoft will have more metro interface stuff in Win9 then what are you going to do.Use 7 until it goes EOL (End Of Life) with no support or updates like XP-Vista will ?

Here is the update cd I`m talking about.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

Holy poop 5 cds of updates........

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    FYI the interface isnt exactly 20 YO dipsnot

22. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Really when was 3.11 work groups released? Which is what win95 was based off.......really dipsnot mmmm You forget the forum rules right.Or are you one who thinks the admins here are your friends and can get away with it.

23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  24. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Shoe

If the shoe fits, wear it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :nutkick:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  25. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link, however, that is for just security updates and does not include a complete rollup of service packs.

Also, do not label everyone the same.
    I have a disliked for Windows 8 as it is, I could care less about a Start menu (which, can be restored, some what, with software or hacking)... it is the overall experience on my existing equipment, period.

I f**king don't like it, on the devices I have. My opinion and my choice.
    I don't like a lot of things , especially, trolls.

Please read and understand posts and stop categorizing people to suit your mindset.

[H]@RD5TUFF and eidairaman1 say thanks.