1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft won't release Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Protagonist, Oct 25, 2012.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I still notice he is running windows 7 64 bit, so if 8 is so good why hasnt he moved to it completely, oh wait it must suck then:D

2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Ok, bickering aside.

The interface for Windows 8 is new, and that will obviously handicap some people. The argument against changing the interface is simple, it's been the same basic thing since windows xp, and a decade of that interface will be difficult to move people away from.

On the flip side, the interface change is something others want to see. You can bet that creative souls out there will use the interface well on tablets... or maybe phones....

I've heard the "my 6 year old can use it, why can't you?" argument. I've heard the argument that MS is trying to revolutionize the space, and a little bit of growing pains are to be expected fallacy. I've even heard the argument that xp had the same "issues" a decade ago.

Now here's the reality. MS is trying to bring smart phones, laptops, tablets, and desktops into a single environment. Windows for ARM architecture, the touch friendly interface, and what amounts to a performance optimized engine of windows 7 should all make this move clear. If it doesn't, you need to understand that MS has released a tablet of their own. If you still can't see this, you need to consider glasses.

The effort to make one OS and interface common amongst multiple devices is...misguided. My android phone isn't expected to perform the same way as my PC. MS is trying to move both communal UI, and communal fundamental engine together at once. This is a nice step forward, but it's going to be insanely alienating. There will, of course be angry and vocal people on both sides of the issue.

All of that said, this is about windows 7. I'm angry that a SP2 isn't going to be released. I'm flashing back to Vista. Of course, Vista-> Vista SP1 -> 7 -> 7 SP1 is how we can probably view this. At least that's my positive outlook considering that Vista failed so hard MS had to quickly develop a new OS, so they just reworked Vista into 7. Technically, we're on Vista SP3 if you want to look at it like that...

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    this UI that MS claims is new- its main purpose is touch screen devices.

4. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    This :toast:

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Why do we even need another service pack? I mean honestly, Windows 7 for me right now is rock solid and MS already said they are going to keep giving it updates and security packages well into 2015.

Seriously I don't see the big deal with service packs and Windows 7. It runs great. Am I missing something? Serious question.

lilhasselhoffer says thanks.
  6. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:

Who the hell are you to attempt to tell me that because I see Windows 8 in a different light than you I'm some sort of whining baby. Get over yourself troll, also FYI M$ has said they will officially support Windows 7 till 2017 which is more than 5 years, and something tells me it will likely go past that, unless Windows 9 is a vast improvement.

SO do please GTFO troll.

7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    So we're clear, I'm on the alienated side. Windows 7 optimized with a touch screen interface is, in my opinion, a step backwards.

You want to woo me, call it as it is. Windows 7 touch, a companion to windows 7 is what MS should be calling it. Release the kernel optimization (that 8 amounts to) for windows 7 in service pack 2, and make a separate and leaner OS for phones and tablets. Once a more uniform OS can be mechanically established, marry the UIs in parts and pieces until the transition between device cannot be noticed. The abrupt cliff MS is driving towards is going to create more hate than it needs to.

Again, this is a thread about SP2 for windows 7. I'd like to see it, and I'd like for it to include some of the new features (I chose to call them "features," as 8 is not a fundamentally new OS) of windows 8. Spending another 130 USD (OEM, not retail) on an operating system that shows very few, and only incremental, improvements seems like a blatant cash grab from MS. Not to mention the store....

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    FYI there are a LOT of back end changes to Windows 8. Hating no start menu aside, Windows 8 is very different then Windows 7. Its vastly more secure how it handles things. Did you know with Windows 8 root kits no longer will work for example?

I agree the GUI is debatable. But the core of the OS is a lot, LOT better then Windows 7.

9. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Then my understanding has been incomplete. Thank you for rectifying that ignorance.

Edited:
    Removed stupidity, replaced with ignorance. Not knowing, in my book is stupidity. Being unaware, or unchanging once the fact is presented, is ignorance. Of course, my book might have been written by the 1000 chimps not working on Shakespear.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Stupidity? No man. Ignorant of the facts maybe, but not stupid. If I thought you were stupid I would just troll you. :laugh: :toast:

The GUI is a little nuts and the learning curb is HUGE. However the back end of Windows 8 is pretty damn epic when it comes to security.......as epic as you can get with a windows product :laugh:

People arguing about Windows 8 remind me of three dudes fighting over an ugly girl. One bitches about her face, The second guy think shes worth a date, but only one guy notices her sweet ass.......errrr back end.

H82LUZ73 and lilhasselhoffer say thanks.
  11. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Now this right here cracks me up :laugh: I needed a laugh. I have to tell this joke soon.

12. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Off topic, but a reply I feel may be called for...

Sorry, but, that is a little broad of a statement there... don't let your guard down totally.

Fixed it some: Did you know with Windows 8 a lot of older (non-updated) root kits no longer will work for example?

Windows 8 has beefed up; however, it is only a matter of time before the ball gets to the top of the hill and will roll down again. The ball being the bad guys and their malwares.

They are still there; and, it is only a matter of time and is it worth it?
    Plus, no matter how much barrier you (OS devs) throw up some one will build something to find a way around/through/by-pass it.
    And, you can't help the ones who just click on it.

Symantec on Windows 8 Security
    or, how about a bootkit --> UEFI technology: say hello to the Windows 8 bootkit!

Just saying, trust not the PR and don't let your guard down.
    Windows 8 is newish and it takes time to crack it's four point security shell.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I get what you are saying. Traditional root kits will not work is what I should have said. The UEFI boot kit is gonna be a whole new animal.......or really old one depending on your perspective. :laugh:

The newer bootkits as it stands right now are a pain to install. You almost have to go out of your way to get one. The future will be different however. As it stand NOW.....TODAY......its more secure. I fear with the UEFI rigs of today we are gonna see a whole new era of malware thats harder then ever to remove in the next few years.

.........See Viper. I've been reading. :laugh: :toast:

95Viper says thanks.
  14. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
  15. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is alittle shifty for MS to try to push people to 8 for the sales. Myself I'm sticking with 7 cause it fits my need thou 8 will be more of a laptop OS for me if I ever get a laptop. Which MS would've been better off if they pushed it as a mobile OS mostly & left people to update to it on their desktop if they wanted. Makes the most sense and doesn't get all big brother on you.

16. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    It doesnt matter if he has. He has always refused to use operating systems until the first service pack is released. Hell he is still on an Athlon XP. :p

17. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I'm a bit mad in that its like Win 7 Users all of a sudden aren't good enough or important enough to get what previous versions of Windows have been getting.

You turned your back on us Microsoft, sooner than expected. WHY! :cry:

18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    So Ballmer says that Demand for Windows 8 exceeding Windows 7. Maybe that's why they don't care about W7 anymore.