1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia Phones...

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia Phones...

Poll closed Sep 26, 2013.
  1. is a genius move and will pay off

534 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. won't help them turn things around

755 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. is Ballmer's way to keep his buddies on the Board

420 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. doesn't matter to me

1,054 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Whats all this talk of failure and Nokia dieing and Windows Phone sales being bad? Windows Phone is the only market share that's really been climbing ever since Windows Phone 7. Apple's sales are stagnant, selling mostly to Apple/I-phpne users, with Android users being the primary ones to lose market share, even though it's still small, comparitively speaking, to the Windows Phone. It's a solid phone operating system, and the Nokia's are excellent hardware, with us now being on the second full generation of Nokia Lumia Windows phones..
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has been increasing marketshare year on year since the introduction of Windows Phone 7. They had a bit of a shaky start, but they're quickly gaining momentum. I expect this acquisition will be a good thing for them, because they can tailor the OS to the hardware like Apple does and it will be a lot more efficient. They were already doing that to a certain extent, but it still had to be platform agnostic in case MS got another handset partner.

Think of it this way: up till now, Windows Phones have been like a PC, good but not really efficient due to the need to maintain compatibility; now with their own handset manufacturing capability, it'll be like the Xbox, with the OS tailored to the hardware in order to achieve maximum efficiency and speed.
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
  3. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure M$ knows that they suck, but they just don't care. So, they use this to their advantage. No one has ever bought winmo devices, ever. They wanted Nokia. The logical choice is to pay off dying Nokia, so they don't adopt android and become profitable at all.
    Lure them down the hole with a measly amount of money, let the windows phone do what it does best (lose money), then when Nokia is about to go bankrupt, basically buy them for cheap.
  4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I, and several other people I know, did. So why don't you keep your unfounded statements to yourself and let people who know what they're talking about do the debating. :nutkick:
  5. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Sure, I knew a literal 2 ppl that had winmo 5-7 devices. That didn't last long.
    They're almost giving away the current ones. Older people that don't care about smartphone anything are buying them b/c they're cheap.

I bet more HD2s were sold for loading android than anything lol. I bought one and had a couple friends that did, to, solely for that reason.
  6. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I loved my WinMo 5.1 phone, I only stopped using it because HP refused to provide an upgrade to 6.5 and I couldn't get any of the custom ROMs to load. Since then I've used both Andriod and the iPhone, and while I'd stick with the iPhone I really want to try WP8 so I'm getting a Lumia 920 later this month. And of course they're cheap, that's what you do when you when you want to increase marketshare quickly.
  7. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Really? That's news to the 7 people that I interact daily with who have Windows phones. As to them not lasting, 3 of those are still using their original Windows Phone 7 from 3 years ago because they haven't broken and still worked perfectly.

Granted, you hate Microsoft and their phones. Great, thanks for your opinion, but that by no means makes it fact. Fact is, The only phone operating system market share growing the last three years has been Windows Phone. That means it's coming out of the Apple and Android hide, mostly Android.

And before you say I'm some kind of MS fanboy, go look up my other posts, and you'll see that's anything but the truth.
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You should try the newer Nokiasofts. Better map than what Google is offering, better optimised for budget-midrange smartphones, and built like tanks. The only thing I can criticize is the lack of games, but that is a non issue. If Nexus 4 is not dirt cheap I would have gotten myself a Nokiasoft phone, their cameras are crazy good.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Some people bought a Nokia phone BECAUSE it has WP on it.......like me.

I had a Trio 650 I COULD NOT KILL. I even threw it against the wall one day because of a email (childish fit of rage) and it still worked. So Nokia aint the only ones who make tough phones. Palm did also.
  10. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    Well, I had a Nokia Lumia 900 with Windows Phone 7 over a year ago. Got it used on eBay missing a charger (which is fine because it was standard microUSB) when my HTC Android phone died.

Loved Windows Phone and of course the Nokia hardware was great. But somebody bought me a brand new Android phone so I sold the Lumia - now I'm using the LG Optimus G Android phone.
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    A few points:

Windows Phone is rising.

Until 2008 WinMo was bigger than Blackberry, in 2008 they sold more than the iPhone.

Nokia was in a bad spot no matter what it would have done. If they had beat the first Samsung Galaxy with a high end phone they could market like sex in chocolate good things might have happened, but all that is speculation at best.

I give to you the Ericsson R310, the "Sharkfin":

[​IMG]

Released in 2000, at least in 2010 hugely popular among farmers, industrial workers, forest workers because a) it seriously is unkillable and 2) you can almost stab people with it. Combine Gore-Tex with technology!
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  12. Krneki New Member

Thanks Received:
    The most important answer is missing from the poll.

... is a good move to ensure money from future royalties and patent lawsuits.
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You mean Nokia patents? Nokia are keeping those.
  14. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I liked my HTC TP2 that ran winmo 6.5 IIRC, shame the slider cable broke and then took a swim :( Was better than my crackberry, not as good as my Galaxy GS2 but coupd be simply because the hardware is better...

This should be an interesting partnershit¡

Edit: Poll options are silly
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    the thing is nokia still do. i dropped my c6 hrough a flight of stairs and still worked. our stairs are marble, and not carpeted. nothing happened.
  16. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    I love WP and I have a 928 which I am using to type this from in class :S
    However I just don't see this acquisition having many if any benefits for either company. Perhaps it will streamline some of the production phases of development of new phones? Who knows
  17. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    What it will do is give MS an in-house phone, like Apple has, instead of trying to match hardware of multiple manufacturers. If you can then fine-tune your phone OS to operate on only one phone series, performance advantages are sure to be had.
  18. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    the last nokia product i owned was their mobile phone from 1999 and the only reason i had it was because i wanted hang out with Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

[​IMG]
  19. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    nm
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    first person to vote blank. awwww yeah.
  21. nimd4

nimd4

Thanks Received:
    At Forbes:

I don't care any more.. These people are so ridiculous, check out what he's saying (so full of it). I will just buy whatever has the best hardware, for the money.. and whatever's the most compatible with standards. The rest doesn't interest me; read: Apple, proprietary (wallet-breaking traps) and similar.