1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Minecraft Sells 9.2 Million Units so far.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, May 25, 2012.

1. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    According to Notch and his business developer, Daniel Kaplan, Minecraft is closing on on 10 million units sold across all platforms.

In a series of tweets, Notch stated that the PC version has sold around 6 million units and the additional units are from Android, iOS and XBLA sales.

Minecraft's recent release for Xbox 360 set an Xbox Live sales record and sold 1 million units in under a week.

I'm glad Mojang is doing well. Notch has been a great supported of the humble bundles and other indie projects and I hope their next project (Scrolls) hits a high note too.

2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    In addition to being a cool game, it also created a large modding ecosystem (Bukkit and plugin devs among other things) which is kind of neat considering people are getting experience writing in Java (although Null Pointer Errors seem to be prevalent in many cases lol).

Wonder how their next game will do.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    And they said PC gaming is dead. :laugh:

4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    minecraft reminds me of gmod, but its more refined, simple yet somehow still complex and massive and its not a mod.

But those numbers doesnt mean number of players who played or are playing, If you include those playing with pirated copies, it could double or triple. thats how good minecraft is.

5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The attraction of MC is the ability to create anything you can imagine. The addition of things like survival mode make the game more of a challenge, but it's still all about building.
    Mojang could be a one-hit-wonder with MC, but I hope not.

6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I tried it and was confused, is it really that good?

7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    The game is good but i really miss the vehicles. Boats and rail carts are kinda lame. I mean boats especially, rail carts are kinda cool if there is a proper rail track system layout.

I'd like to have cars as well and especially want aircrafts and submarines. This would make infinite possibilities for air and underwater constructions. I mean, it's cool to build on the grounds but i was always fascinated by massive underwater constructions or massive floating islands and cities.

I've always wanted to make massive city in the sky along with several airfields for all the passengers, make a massive elevator from it down below the ground level underwater and make a huge BioShock like world there. Now you sort of can do that but whole thing is just limiting you too much.