• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mini ITX box for PVR?

knestle

I saw a magazine ad today for Antec's ISK 300 and it rekindled my interest in building a PVR.

I have built several systems and have Beyond TV 4 running on my main system now.

However I am TOTALLY IGNORANT in the world of Mini ITX.

I want to build a PVR box who's ONLY function is recording/storage/playback of TV broadcasts.
I have Comcast digital cable(NOT HD).

Other than a 500 GB hard drive everything should be minimal/adequate.
No dual SLI or 20 ghz CPU configurations need apply.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe(probably) this type of build has already been covered in another thread. Link?

T

twilyth

I've been looking at mini itx's and as far as I can tell, they are just like atx, mini-atx except really small - meaning you have to get the right kind of case (SECC? or something) and psu. Other than that, it should be the same old same old.

Also, ITX hardware is more expensive. Plan on spending at least $100 for the mobo and about the same for a case psu. Unless you need the ultra small form factor, check out mini-atx.

I'm assuming that you want a powerful chip like a PII-x4 or intel quad or something. If you go with an Atom, you might be able to better on the mobo prices but I'm not sure how Atom stacks up as an HTPC chip.

Processor AMD FX-8320 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Asus Aura
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 SC
Storage Intel 535 Series SSD + Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Case NZXT
Power Supply EVGA 650 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
What is your budget going to be for this? mini itx motherboards and cases can be pretty pricey

You have to think about ventilation as well in such a tiny case. Depending on your placement of the actual system is important as well ...