1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mini itx for portable gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bthizle1, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bthizle1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. bthizle1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anybody?

3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    You can wouldn't be to hard to build a better performing MITX build with a haswell non-overclockable i5/i7 and GTX 760/770

4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You really won't be able to match the spec of that laptop at that price, no way. It has a i7-4700, 770, and 750GB HDD. Not only that the GPU has 3GB VRAM. The problem is you want a $400 GPU and that leaves only $300 for everything else.

The best build I could come up with on Newegg has a Giga 770 and i3-2300. It comes to about $849 after shipping and rebates. If you want a MB with USB 3 and SATA 3 support it would run about $20-$25 more.

Case
    COOLER MASTER Elite 120 Advanced Black Appearance:...
    DVD
    ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bu...
    HDD
    Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM ...
    GPU
    EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2771-KR GeForce GTX 770 2...
    PSU
    CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFir...
    RAM
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3...
    MB
    ASRock H61MV-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Mini ITX ...
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65...

Silverstone has a cheaper smaller case, but it only fits up to 10" GPUs and slim DVD drives, which are more expensive.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    going with a microATX will be good too. since you only will be lugging around the case. but it will be hard matching that laptop.
    770s dont come small. and i dont think lugging around those 1ftx1ftx1ft cube htpc cases isnt a good idea.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    guys you doing it wrong.
    770 for rts and rpg is overkill
    since fps arent top priority 760 or 7950 card can do it as well

amd build
    [​IMG]

intel
    [​IMG]

only thing you have to add is case (it's up to you what desing you like)

edit: i think amd buildin grafic is better so in case you decide to save some money in order to get later 770 then amd is better choise.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Problems I see are lugging a monitor, and making sure components inside the case don't get damaged from vibration. Passing through airport security might be a nuisance as well.

Do you really need anything higher than a 7870 if you are only going to be doing 1080p? I can't imagine you'd want to lug a big monitor around or multiple monitors or whatever.

8. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    770m does not equal 770. I think the 670m was really close to the 7790 when I looked up some benchmarks.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    They come as short as 10", EVGA has one, and it will fit the SilverStone SG05, but that case has issues with DVD drive fit. It only fits the slim slot load type, which cost at least $80 more. I don't think you can fit a full size PSU either, and the 770 needs something fairly substantial.

The odd thing is, the SG05 actually fits a lot more CPU coolers than the CM Elite 120 I pointed out, esp in height clearance for the tower type. It'll even fit a dual rad CPU cooler. CM doesn't even seem to make a good low profile one under 65mm anymore that doesn't hang over the PCi-Ex 16x slot of the Elite 120.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  10. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    he meant gpu type not pcb size.
    there is no point in 3rd party cooler(s) for both cpu and gpu. if rig will be carried in backpack you will want smallest possible cooler so that vibrations from movement/transport doesnt stress pcbs.
    in case of high environment temps operation it will be better to use case with additional fans and good airflow then to add 3rd party coolers (quite often they are way over the size of the stock)

11. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem is, 770m has the same config as 650ti, and 7790 is about as powerful as the 650ti. I don't think we will be able to beat the convenience of the 770m if we don't do much better

12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Only eay i see it surviving any travel is if you put styrofoam or plastic air bags between components, otherwise the vibrations will put shearing force on mounted components.

13. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:

ThermalTake used to offer an embedded LCD screen that could fit into some of its cases (one of them was even a small form factor case). The screen resolution isn't exactly awesome (800x480, though it can map a whopping 1024x768 by dropping), but you wouldn't have to lug a monitor.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  14. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yes but whats the point of having all that gaming horsepower to output on a little screen ;)

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Actually I think he meant a shorter version like the 670 mini, but let's let him verify that before you draw conclusions. The fact is every bit of space saved and weight shaved is a plus in such systems if you can do it without compromising performance.

As for shaking, most such cases have the MB laid horizontally on the bottom and the GPU at or near the side panel/rails of the case, making it much more stable than a normal tower config regarding stress on the Pci-Ex slot or CPU cooler mount.

As for coolers, there have been and still are ones much better than the stock units being made in all shapes and sizes, including pretty low profile ones. It's getting more common in fact that the stock coolers on CPUs are pretty bad, esp on the budget platforms.

16. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    my mistake here. i have just noticed that you have quoted de.das.dude not james888's post which is just above you. yes de.das.dude meant pcb size. apologies.

problem with horizontal mb cases is that they are 30+cm wide. it will be quite uncomortable to carry it in backpack. however such case could be comfi trasported in hand especially if case has handle at the top (i think i saw such kind of cases on computex pics but cant remember manufacturer).
    i dont agree with you about stock coolers. so far i have used only stock coolers in my desktop and had issues with overheating only once when i have OC cpu (athlon 1 from 1666 to 1800 if i remember well) quite a lot and when summer came bsod came as well. additional fan to push fresh air in case and overheating problems have gone. since op said that he will play mostly rts and rpg there isnt any reason to oc or spend cash on custom coolers when he can improve working conditions of stock coolers with 6-10$ case fan(s).

aditional support plates can be added in case in order to avoid damage from vibrations during trasport. i remeber i have seen cases with additional plate to support video. plate was screwed at front and back metal plate of the case and was just under the side panel. i have to dig to find some pics of it.

17. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm referring primarily to the Intel budget platform CPU coolers, since most here are suggesting Intel CPUs. They're not that impressive lately (the coolers, not the CPUs).

As for case size, the Silverstone SG05 is onlt 22cm wide, and even the slightly bigger CM Elite 120 I linked to is just 21cm wide.

If carried in a small backpack with the bottom of the case toward your back, the Pci-Ex slot would be vertical too, minimizing any possible shake damage.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  18. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    from what i have read problem with intel is more from bad thermal compound between crystal and protector then with cooler itself.
    i have added amd build as well and if i have to chose i would pick amd. not only cause of 50$ less.
    amd road map shows that they will stay with current sockets for at least till end of next year possible even more while intel's change of the socket with every new generations makes upgrade quite expensive.
    i havnt tried to carry pc in backpack since i never had smaller then mid tower but considering how uncomfortable is to carry my 4.5kg netweight laptop i can guess it wont be pleasant. but every pleasure comes with price.