1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mint 13 MATE problem

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I was installing some intel drivers and assorted programs for codecs as well as the LSB (Linux Standard Base). Several ones were already installed for LSB so I selected a couple more like the Security and Multimedia ones. Upon reboot, All i got was the Desktop background and no menus or task bars. when i right click on the desktop, the change background option pops up and I can access the preferences menu window but other than that nothing. in order to access any desktop at all, I had to boot in through the recovery option just to get the login screen so i could select the gnome fallback and get a partial GUI.

Any ideas?
    Also, i tried to access terminal but it was no longer on the menus.
  2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Intel graphics drivers are the drivers you did talk about, right?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    yes it was the vaapi driver. I have the HD 3000 chipset core i3 on my laptop
  4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Maybe try reinstalling the drivers outside the DE (CLI only) as root. To do so, make sure you are not logged in as normal user and that you are in the login screen. Use control+alt+F1 to get into a VT and login as root user. Then type the following commands:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    init 3
    apt-get install <insert package names for the driver and the other packages you wanted to install>
    apt-get clean
    init 5 && exit

P.S. you could also reinstall the driver you previously used, maybe.
    Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU