• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mionix Unveils the CASTOR Gaming Mouse

Setting a new standard in ergonomic comfort and gaming performance, Mionix today announced the CASTOR, the latest entry in their stellar lineup of premium gaming mice. Named for one of the brightest stars in the night sky, the 6-button, multi-color optical CASTOR mouse is crafted especially for right-handed gamers with dedicated ring and pinkie finger grooves and enhanced rubber grip, and features the outstanding technical performance that has made Mionix a cult favorite worldwide.

The CASTOR's unique shape has been developed to be used by right-handed players to equally support palm, claw and fingertip-grip. The mouse has a dedicated pinky- and ring-finger support-groove which makes it extremely comfortable to hold and lift. The PMW-3310 gaming grade optical sensor has no positive or negative hardware acceleration, amazing accuracy, smooth tracking, and a maximum speed of more than 5.45m/sec (215 IPS), all the way up to 10000DPI. It is the choice of the world's top pro-gamers and widely considered as the best gaming sensor currently available.

The new lift-off distance (LOD) Calibration feature combines the Surface Quality Analyzer Tool (S.Q.A.T) with adjustment of the lift-off height to find the lowest possible LOD with optimized tracking. The lightning fast 32bit ARM processor enables the mouse to have numerous gaming features without compromising the tracking of the sensor. The downloadable software provides access to fully customize all buttons, sensor settings, LED colors, macros and profiles.

Key Features of the CASTOR include:
  • Five fingers, one home: Right-hand ergonomics with ring- and pinky-finger groove to comfortably place all five fingers on the mouse.
  • Maximum grip: 4 layers of rubber coating and the optimized textured side rubbers ensure maximum grip and soft touch feel.
  • Lightning fast processor: The 32bit ARM Processor running at 32Mhz is the powerful engine to power it all and ensure trouble free and quick setting changes in-game.
  • 128kb built-in memory: Bring your settings and recorded macros with you stored into up to different 5 profiles.
  • Zero- Acceleration Sensor with up to 10000DPI: 1:1 Tracking, no positive or negative hardware acceleration.
  • In-game 3 step DPI adjustment: Set 3 DPI values and switch easily between them in-game.

The CASTOR is expected to be available worldwide in September for US$69.99. For more information and to place your pre order, visit mionix.net/mice/castor.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Ooo a new Mionix mouse!
"The CASTOR's unique shape has been developed to be used by right-handed players to equally support palm, claw and fingertip-grip."

:banghead:

As someone who uses a mouse with his left hand, I'm really getting tired of all of the non-ambidextrous and anti-left hander mice. There are plenty of mice that claim to be ambidextrous but they are so awful when you use them in the other hand. Razer is the only company that supports left handed gamers (I know, we are rare) but the Deathadder hasn't been updated in.. 3+ years now.

Someone please make an up to date quality left handed mouse. (or at the least a decent ambi one)

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Not seeing any thing special with this and is way to basic for me, and even being left handed i know for a fact i will enjoy my G700s ( modded to my liking lol ) more and is cheaper.

For $70 it should be left handed only :p.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
Apparently using Avago 3310 sensor and about ~90gr

As someone who uses a mouse with his left hand, I'm really getting tired of all of the non-ambidextrous and anti-left hander mice. There are plenty of mice that claim to be ambidextrous but they are so awful when you use them in the other hand. Razer is the only company that supports left handed gamers (I know, we are rare) but the Deathadder hasn't been updated in.. 3+ years now.
If it's really ambidextrous, what's the difference between left and right?

I heard many left handers are using their right hand to handle mouse, so it's really small market I think.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim

I heard many left handers are using their right hand to handle mouse, so it's really small market I think.
Yeh I eat and write with my left hand but do just about everything else with my right including using my computer mouse. As a joke, I blame my left handedness for when I get beaten in BF or TF2 haha.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti

Well this is not a ambidextrous to start with their are buttons missing.

What they normally do is copy whats on the left side to the right side of the mouse and leave it as that really. Take no offence but you heard that left handed people gave up on their better hand to use the right hand ?, Sure if you can do what you can as good with either hand but if your left handed your left handed it's the dominate hand changing that would take years for your gaming to get as good.

I do some stuff with my right hand which was due to the times i was born and left handed was some what frowned upon which was mainly schools.

It is a small market, that's why nobody really supports it. The DA Left Handed edition is extremely comfortable but being built specifically left handed isn't a requirement. Most claimed ambi mice still are aimed at right handed people since that's the majority of PC users, so you run into issues that when you use it in your left hand, your pinky/ring fingers graze over the buttons on the side of the mouse and they can become irritating to the inside of them. There have been a few that aren't bad, the Steelseries Sensi wasn't bad but the smooth texture didn't work well with long gaming sessions.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
It is a small market, that's why nobody really supports it. The DA Left Handed edition is extremely comfortable but being built specifically left handed isn't a requirement. Most claimed ambi mice still are aimed at right handed people since that's the majority of PC users, so you run into issues that when you use it in your left hand, your pinky/ring fingers graze over the buttons on the side of the mouse and they can become irritating to the inside of them. There have been a few that aren't bad, the Steelseries Sensi wasn't bad but the smooth texture didn't work well with long gaming sessions.

That's the old Sensei you talking about with a exception to a few other types they do, how ever the sides are still smooth but after that short 1 year warranty get some sandpaper if it that much of a issue lmao.

EDIT: and the sides of the Sensei wireless is rubber.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Hmm I kinda like it, been wanting to get an optical mouse that's comfortable
seems like 90% of mice now are lasers and they just don't work for me and my 5.1 :confused:

Ooo a new Mionix mouse!
"The CASTOR's unique shape has been developed to be used by right-handed players to equally support palm, claw and fingertip-grip."

:banghead:

Someone please make an up to date quality left handed mouse. (or at the least a decent ambi one)

What are you on about? Here is an ambidextrous mouse from the same company with the ADNS-3310 sensor. This is one of the best mice ever made.